| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  instrument progression
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 5:31 pm    

I have been taking lessons for 2 months and practicing on a 6 string Asher Hawaiian Junior. I decided to move on to an 8 string and ordered a Remington. I used to play a 8 string Fender a long long time ago. I got to wondering if I should have bought a S10 pedal and just not used the pedals while learning if that is possible. Anybody have any recommendations one way or the other.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 7:26 pm    

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. You've started with a high quality steel guitar, then moved up to another.

I guess whether you should have a ten string pedal steel depends on if that is the ultimate sound you're looking to get when you play.
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 12:04 pm     instrument progression.

I guess your right. I have a ways to go before I can play the Remington well. I am getting ahead of myself. If I get to the point that a PSG is a possibility I can decide then. I will sell the Asher Hawaiian after I am comfortable with the Remington and go from there. Thanks
Billy Gilbert

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 7:18 pm     Steel Guitar Progrssion

Jim,

These days the "woods is full" of pedal steel players, and lap steel players seem to be rather scarce. I just got home from the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree in the Dallas area where I listened to about 18 hours of pedal steel playing and just 2 hours of lap steel. I got rather tired of almost all the "peddlers" using the same old walk-ups and walk-downs. Chuck Lettes {sp} played a six string fry pan Saturday, Scottie Scott played a set Sunday on a fry pan, and Herb Remington and Rick Alexander each played a set on Remington Steels Sunday afternoon. The lap steel sets were a very refreshing contrast to the pedal steels, even tho the peddlers were great, there was too much of a good thing. Sticking with the 8 string Remington wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Laughing Laughing Billy