| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  windows update
Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 4:02 pm    

on my vista machine set for automatic updates, I keep getting the same update every day, even though when I check installed updates it shows that it is installed already. Any know a fix for this? Thanks
Richard
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 10:46 pm    

Richard;
This occurs when the Windows Updates catalog becomes corrupted. I don't have Vista yet, but I can tell you how I fix the problem in XP. You can check the paths to see if Vista uses the same files and folders.

The sequence of events involves using a Command Windows, or the Run box, to stop the Windows Update Service, rename a particular folder, restart the service, then run Windows Updates. Again, this information works in XP, and it may also work in Vista.

1. From an account with Administrator privileges,
  2. Open the Run box (Windows key + R)
  3. Type: net stop wuauserv and press Enter
  4. Go to My Computer and open it
  5. Open the C drive to a folder view
  6. Open the "Windows" Directory (Show Hidden Files)
  7. Rename the sub-directory: "SoftwareDistribution" to "SoftwareDistribution-old"
  8. Go back to the Run box (Windows Key +R) and type: net start wuauserv and press Enter.
  9. Try running Windows Updates manually, reboot and see if this fixes the problem.

With a Vista computer that has UAC enabled you may have problems stopping the Windows Update Service, using the Run box. However, you open a Command Window as an Administrator, using the right-click Run As option. Search for CMD.exe. When it appears in the results, right-click and Run As the Administrator. Now you can use the above listed commands to stop and start the Windows Updates Service and rename the corrupted folder.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog