| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who plays C6 single neck?
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 10:28 am    

I would like to have a C6 single neck guitar. I think having the just C6 pedals all the way to the left would be nice. What would be other advantages?
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 11:08 am    

"Who plays C6 single neck?"

Guys with day jobs?

Sorry, I just hadda... Laughing

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 1:24 pm     C6 Single Neck

Fred, You might check Herb Remington's copedant. He plays A6 on an S10 with pedals. His tuning is like C6, but lower.

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 1:37 pm    

I thought about that one time,most of my playing is on C6th,but sometimes[like now] play with hadrcore classic country bands,and need the 9th neck.DYKBC.

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 2:53 pm     C 6th.

I have been trying to locate a dealer who has a sd10 with enough pedals to set it up for the C6th and one that i won'y have to sell the house to buy.lol.(really) Tracy
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 4:14 pm    

Tracy!
I have an S-10 1965 Emmons Wraparound with 6 pedals and 3 knee levers that you won't have to sell the house for... I'll TRADE YOU the guitar for the house! Might even throw in a couple hundred. Omits just a whole lot of headache and expense. Contact me by email!!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 4:40 pm    

Michael Douchette wrote:

Guys with day jobs?

Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 5:33 pm    

The goofball previous owner of the BMI S-10 I just bought on eBay, for one. (Discovered only upon delivery--should mike a nice payday for Jim Palenscar to unscramble back into E9. Seller was a non-player.)

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 5:42 pm     Re:

Is there another tuning besides the C6th? Thats the tuning to use the big fat chords with so the band won't play silver things again.lol
Or play the E 9th sound with bar slants.
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 5:53 pm     Re:

[quote="Herb Steiner"]Tracy!
I have an S-10 1965 Emmons Wraparound with 6 pedals and 3 knee levers that you won't have to sell the house for... I'll TRADE YOU the guitar for the house! Might even throw in a couple hundred. Omits just a whole lot of headache and expense. Contact me by email!![/quote
You play a single raise and lower? Sorry to hear that.LOL
Brett Crisp

NC
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 7:09 pm    

Thats how my uncle Terry Crisp started steel guitar. His dad sawed a guitar in half and gave the C6th to Terry and the E9th to his brother to see who would make the better steel picker. Guess who won? Laughing
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 8:12 pm    

Who plays C6 Single neck ?

Mostly players with console non-pedal steels. I use the C6 neck of my Sho-Bud Crossover most of the time, but rarely use the pedals except on E9.

Then again, I don't attempt to make a living at it, I just play for my own amusement.
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2008 11:31 pm     Comment:

Alan Brookes wrote:
Who plays C6 Single neck ?

Mostly players with console non-pedal steels. I use the C6 neck of my Sho-Bud Crossover most of the time, but rarely use the pedals except on E9.

Then again, I don't attempt to make a living at it, I just play for my own amusement.

I am wih you Alan.I play for fun.If i play out now it is on fiddle.And i leave my gun at home in case the band plays Silver things.Only half way kidding.lol
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 4:12 am    

Mine is close. I play a B6 single neck. The copedent on my 10-string is based on Sneaky Pete's Fender 8-string (I wish I could post it, but I've never been able to get that to work), and is kind of a "reverse universal", with E9 and C6-type changes on it. It's a seriously great guitar for playing almost any style, although it's a "learn it yourself" proposition.

But if you like straight C6, there's no reason you couldn't do it. For a Western Swing, jazz or rock player it may be a much better choice than E9 IMO.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 5:40 am    

I do. I like rock, jazz, and classical music - it just makes sense to me. I practice regular guitar at least two hours a day too and I didn't see the time available to learn two new tunings - I'd rather just have the extra time to play more 6 & 7-string guitar, if it came to that. I know that Doug Livingston (Bovine) & Mike Perlowin play classical on extended E9th, but the symmetry of the C6th greatly appeals to me. E9th may have been "the money neck" 30 years ago when some opinions calcified, but if "traditional country is dying" too, hmmm - ever wonder why?

Nobody I know cares what tuning my licks come from. My biggest guitar influences are John McLaughlin & Steve Morse, and the first song I learned on steel was "Stormy Monday Blues", if that's any indication of what's wrong with me... my biggest steel influence is the impossible Dave Easley, not for licks but just for the sense of adventure. I'll make up my own licks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H35QpuAfIFw
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 10:42 am    

Don't get me wrong, I like C6 AND E9. It just seems to me the double necks and universals put the 6th tuning in the "back seat". The pedals are all the way to the right, and the knee levers seem engineered like an afterthought, unless you have them customized. I really love the 6th tuning, and would like to do it right, so to speak. I'm thinking about converting my old Fender 2000 excluslively to C6th with the pedals all the way to the left. My 4 knee levers would add to that, and I think I could end up with a pretty cool set up.

Last edited by Fred Glave on 11 Mar 2008 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 11:20 am    

Fred, I have a 1980's vintage Excel S-10 with 3+5 that I had converted to C6. I was about to offer it for sale, but then decided that I want to try stringing it up as an E6 first and see what I think of that sound. If I don't think I'll use it that way, you'll see it back here on offer.

J'beaux
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 12:35 pm    

I have one and its great to have the pedals all the way over.

Here is the downside, when you show up at a jam or gig with only an E9 neck they want to do something thats sounds better on the C6, and if you show up with the C6 then they want to do country... Thats why a D10 is a safe bet.

m.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 1:03 pm    

If I could find a single neck that was "ultra light", easy to convert, and cheap, I'd buy 2 and set one up E9, and the other C6. What a world that would be, huh?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 1:04 pm    

When I first bought a steel in the UK in the '70s, the ZB catalogue had a one knee, five pedal single-neck guitar as a regular option. That had to be for C6th-only players, surely?

In fact, my second steel was just one such guitar. I had it set up for E9th, of course, but I'm amazed that, after all these years, I have no notion of what the extra pedals did on my steel!

Anyway, I do recall that the five-pedal option was intended for C6 players, so maybe it wasn't so uncommon back then.

Here's my old ZB, with a decidedly unsafe-looking 1/4" jack connection!

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 1:23 pm    

Roger, I'm more concerned with the eyeglasses you were wearing Whoa! I'm pretty sure that at one point in time, pedal steel was primarily C6, or at least a 6th tuning. So your story sounds about right.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 1:33 pm    

Sorry, Fred

I have no explanation for either the spectacles or the hair. Sometimes our choices are open to question.

I still wish I could remember what those extra two pedals did - I imagine that they were hooked up, or I'd have never bothered to hook on the pedal-rods. I have no recollection, though, and this steel was the immediate successor to my 3+1 ZB Student guitar. 3+1 was more than enough to keep me puzzled back then.....
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 1:45 pm    

<center>I play this C6th steel sometimes:

Here's the copedent:
</center>

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 1:52 pm    

In the from the 50's through the late 60's, a lot of guys in Texas were playing Bb6, foremost among them Tom Morrell and Maurice Anderson. Also Jr. Knight, of the next generation, is a monster on Bb6, plays it like you'd think it was E9!

So I'm not surprised ZB offered a 5x1 setup. Red Rhodes also used an E6 and Sneaky Pete used a B6, so not all single necks were designed as E9 guitars back then. Sho~Bud had a standard 6 pedal S-10 into the 70's. And I own a 1965 Emmons S-10 with 6 pedals and no original knee levers.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2008 3:11 pm    

bOb, that is a very nice looking guitar. It dosn't look very heavy either. Your right Herb, pedal steels used to be available as single neck C6, or the sort back then. Roger those "extra" pedals were probably intended as part of the standard copedent for C6.