| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eddie Cletro and... on steel?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 1:13 am    

Whoever it is www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvdqQ1y5Kxk&feature=user he's got a solid sound.
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 8:59 am    

Excellent find, Ron!

Wish I knew who that steel man is. I don't think it is Tommy Sargent, although he played with Cletro during that era.

Maybe Billy Tonnesen will see this and I bet he would know. I'd like to ID the twin fiddles also.
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 10:36 am    

This steel player looks a lot like a steeler named Leodie Jackson ...pictured on the cover of the first "Krazy Kat" "Swinging West" CD.

Youtube keeps gettin' better...

Hey Ron, check out Connie Smith doing "The Hurtin's All Over". Someone asks Connie to introduce the band when she finishes the song.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 2:18 pm     Too sweet!

Man, I'd sure like to see the whole program that came from, Dave. Good eye!
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 4:51 pm    

I believe this was a Television show hosted by Cowboy singer Doye O'Dell. This was in the same era of Tex Williams and Town Hall Party. Other than Doy and Eddy, I do not recognize any of the Musicians. They possibly came from the San Fernando Valley which had it's own click at the time. When we lost Southern California super guitar picker "Lou Martin" last year, we lost a virtual encylopedia of Southern California country musical history. Lou could have told everything we wanted to know about the band. I do have a picture of a band with an early "leody Jackson" I will try to post it !
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2008 6:58 am    

That clip was from Doye's TV show Western Varieties. The fiddler on the right could possibly be Harry Sims (Simowitz), who used to play with the Plainsmen. At least, his nose looks like Sims'. Wink

I used to work with Doye at the Mustang on Alvarado Blvd., filling in for Boggs when Noel had a gig with Jimmy Wakely in Nevada. Billy, do you remember the Mustang? Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2008 6:24 pm    

Hi Herb: I remember hearing the name of the club on Alvarado St. But don't think I was ever there. Myself and other local musicians used to go out to hear Noel Boggs and other members of the Spade Cooley band at the "Irish World" in Inglewood, and "Young Abe Atell's" on Tweedy Blvd in Southgate, Ca. It seems all Spade's musicians had other gigs on the side in many of the local clubs. At the "Irish World" at one time the drums amounted to "Les Anderson" playing on a "Beer Crate" with a set of brushes. Also, Noel used to work at "Cow Town" on Vermont Ave, Sunday nights when "Wade Ray" was the house band for the rest of the week. As Archie Bunker used to say "those were the days !"
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 11:11 am    

Articles on Eddie's band indicate that Tommy Sargent and Ernie Ball alternated on steel, but I recall an interview where Ernie indicaed that he was full time with Eddie and on Western Varities through '53-55 at least, but I agree with the youtube posters that it's not Ernie in the clip.

Nice pickin'....