| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Fender Amp Problem
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 11:24 am    

Would some of you techs comment on the back page
article in the April issue of Guitar Player. It is by Gerald Weber and discusses fiber circuit boards
becoming conductive in some older Fenders. How common is this? I have run across a few of these old amps where you could never quite recover the sparkle, no matter what you did.

Admittedly, my knowledge is limited to tube and cap
replacement and looking for bad solder joints. The
situation discussed in the article is something I never considered.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 11:42 am    

I think the only thing that would make the board conductive would be moisture. While this might be a problem initially, after the amp operated for a few hours, I believe it would be dried out enough so that any moisture effect would be totally gone. (These upside-down amps tend to run very hot.) I think that you have to consider that all the components in an amp age, and the sound probably changes slightly. You'd have to replace EVERYTHING to have it sound just like a new amp. Also, you have to consider that the ears listening to the amp have aged also. No one can hear highs at 50 years old like they heard them at 20 years old.

Sad, unfortunate even, but true.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 12:10 pm    

Donny, thanks for your input. In the article, Mr. Weber states that breakdown of the carbon based dye used on these boards is the culprit and by connecting
one meter lead to chassis and the other directly to the fiber board, you could get a reading of 10 to 40
volts DC. Of course this would play havoc, manifested in many ways. He calls this condition
"Fenderitis" and states that while rare, it is not unheard of. In my experience, I may discount "old ears", although I have them, since I can hear the
difference in one Deluxe over another.