| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What would your choice be..
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 2:59 pm    

What would your favorite choice be for a square-neck resonator guitar and why?
David Ward

White Rock, BC,Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 4:09 pm    

Gary, not to be more than just a little flippant, my first choice would be to check with my banker. A $250.00 reso is a lot different from a $10,000.00 one. Are you looking for a beginner’s instrument or just want opinions of who-likes-what-best?

David
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 11:01 pm     GaryL

The question was, I believe, was what is your favorite and why? There is a wide range of prices and what a player settles for is just that. Their choice. I'm not looking for buying or financial advice. [/quote]
Shari Kane

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 5:22 am    

Gary,
I'll kick this one off with my current heartthrob, I don't own one, but I really want a Beard Vintage R. That'd do it.
Shari Kane

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 5:24 am    

oops, I didn't say why, Well, it felt great to play and sang like a bell. Now that I think of it, my fickle heart also wants a Beard Mike Auldridge, mostly because I like an 8 string.
Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 6:28 am    

Pre war Dobros and Regals. The sound and tone can't be compared to any modern models. JMO.
Jay Y.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 7:08 am    

1929 National Tricone, because they rule. Very Happy

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 7:11 am    

My 1928 National Tricone. Because they ruled before Mike Neer's 1929 National Tricone. Laughing

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 7:19 am    

Seriously.

Elderly instruments has a great selection of squareneck wood bodied resos. Unfortunately (for me at least) they are all set up for Bluegrass G tuning (GBDGBD). That seems to be the preferred tuning.

I have a Beard Gold-Tone Mahogany squareneck reso that I have tuned to C6 (CEGACE) using the following gauges. .. .36 .30 .26 .24 .18(p) .16(p) - the same gauges I use on my electric steels, and the thing really sings. Even those "light" gauges are enough to drive the cone.

That Beard-Gold Tone model sells in the $600 range.

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website

Last edited by Gerald Ross on 24 Feb 2008 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 7:30 am    

My vote is for the National tricone as well (mine's a '31) because they are in a class by themselves. Nothing sings like one (or can match the look).
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 7:59 am    

I sold both of my Tricones, but sometimes I have a strong desire to play one. The sound is unique and you can great some great tone out of it if you pick it right.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 8:13 am    

This is too huge a question to distill into a simple answer.

But I'll try. I currently own two dobros. A custom-built, 2004 Clinesmith and a 1930 Dobro.

I have played or heard very few dobros that to my ears, sound as good as my Clinesmith. That includes guitars by Scheerhorn, Beard, Meredith, Ivan Guernsey, etc.

My 1930 Dobro is a sweet sounding instrument, but it doesn't have the volume of the Clinesmith, and because it is constructed with the traditional soundwell instead of the 'smith's open body with baffle design, it sort of has one sound, and doesn't really vary depending upon where you pick the strings.

I love old Dobros as much as the next guy, but for day in and day out use, they are not in the same league as resonator guitars being built by some of these great modern luthiers.

I don't know what guitars being set up for bluegrass open G tuning has to do with anything. Most of actual "tweaking" of the setup is done on a resonator guitar before the strings are put on, with some "fine tuning" after the strings are in place, and if one chooses to tune to C6th with lighter gauge strings, that doesn't effect the setup - it's just that the guitars are typically shipped with strings that run from .016 to .056 gauges.

Also, open G may be historically referred to as bluegrass tuning, but there is no law that says you can only play bluegrass sounding music in that tuning.

Gary - you came across a little brusque in your reply to David about the pricing. That's a pretty fair question. Just as there is a big difference in an inexpensive acoustic six-string flattop built in a factory in Asia vs. a custom-built acoustic from a small artisan luthier, it's no different in the dobro world.

For folks that are really into the subject in this area of the guitar universe, we are in what is known as "the golden age of the resonator guitar."
They have never been built better than they are right now.

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 4:21 pm     GIG TOOL

I am partial to my 2001 Jerry Douglas Dobro that I have equipped with a Quarterman resonator and a Lace ultra sensor pickup. It is a very good looking instrument that plays well, stays in tune and delivers dependable performance. It also is a guitar that a player can take to regular bar gigs and not worry too much about the wear and tear a working instrument must endure.
It may not be the "Holy Grail" of dobros but I like it very much.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 5:31 pm    

I'm saving my pennies for a National Tricone. Meanwhile I'm very sorely tempted to buy the Johnson model. They are so much less pricey......
It's because the tone of the tricones is less strident and more appropriate to the acoustic swing music I prefer to play. I will also tune mine to C6.

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 6:30 pm    

My favorite 'workhorse' for stage shows is the Tut Taylor Virginian (flamed maple)played through an AKG C1000s condensor mike. Very clean, balanced, and loud sound quality. Also, a work of art. Should be able to get one for ~$2000 or so.

I have 9 other resophonics that each have their own special sound and feel. Some are better for small jams without banjos, and some are louder to compete with the banjos. Also, depends on how the individual guitar sounds or blends with the singer at the time.

Obviously, you will get lots of answers.

Thanx,
Jim
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 1:44 pm     Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies to my question. As always, forum members have been a great source of information. I apologize for sounding "brusque," but I was just curious to find out what others are playing, regardless of price, which I know varies greatly.