| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Deep South Thanks to all for a great show
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2008 8:15 pm    

Some day I may learn more words and then be able to express my thanks to all the players and friends who came from far and near to really make our Feb 9 show a huge success. We had many new players on the program this time and I was so proud of and for them.
Special thanks to Romeo Sullivan, our CW Disc Jockey Hall of Fame member, for his professionalism in taking charge on stage. You were most appreciated Romeo.
I am going to ask the DSSG members who participate in the forum to talk about the players etc. I loved them all and was especially thankful for P.J.Babcock, Jimmy Dicken's drummer in the great era of "May the Bird of Paradice Fly Up Your Nose". Never heard a sweeter set of drums in my life. P.J. drove up from Ft. Worth and I am hoping to see him at the Dallas show soon. He, Hank Corwin, Ed Clark, Little Joe Wade, and Bob Saxton gave us music from "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" to "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry". Hank Corwin takes a back seat to one who has ever played a steel guitar. Then we heard new blood on stage with Clyde Bloodworth from Alabama give us a lot of Chalker flavored big band songs with Hank Corwin on Bass and P.J. again on drums. Another great set, especially for me to listen. Then again, Gordon Dodson with his new 14 string EXCEL a la Julian Tharpe set up, gave us selections to remind of us Julian. Gordon played and sang an old favorite I have never hear at a steel show -"Hot Rod Lincoln" with all the proper sounds and Tharpist licks. Another memory stirrer. (Gordon is from Ozark, Al.-also home of Julian and Chalker). Our John Hughey Memorial program featured the great Buck Grantham, Billy Carr and Hal Higgins.
We had a solid hour of "Hugheyland" playing and fun and tearful memories. This was a delightful show and I want the members to comment now. But I just have to mention that Hal Higgins opened our show with the best arrangement of "The Star Spangled Banner" I have ever heard anyone play. He also superbly played and sang "Look At Us" with all the Heavenly Hugheyland fills and steel break. Started this day and program just right. (We even had a fiddle in the band with Jack Goodson up from Florida).And talking about fiddles, Wayne Gray, on his program, played a fiddle tune on his lead guitar using a fiddle bow and brought the house down). Talking about fiddle bows, we also had Lou Zocci play a fantastic musical instrument-a very good carpenter saw. Using his bow, his rendition of "Georgia" was the best. And when Renee Malone walked in with her trumpet to join Mr Bloodworth, when "The Saints go Marching In" never sounded so good. Roy Ayres and Tony Lane were two more of our features and more about them later.
Bill Stafford
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 4:54 am     DSSGA 2-9-08

Thanks to Bill Stafford and all of the DSSGA folks for putting on a great show. Even though I had to leave early, 4:30pm, to play that night, I still got to meet new friends, as well as, see some I hadn't seen in a long time. All of the talent was first class. My regular Saturday night gig ended, so I'm seriously considering just traveling around the southeast on weekends and attending/playing at steel shows. Excel appeared to be the brand I remember seeing with the most guitars there. The 14 stringer was amazing tuned in the Tharpe tuning. I want to try that soon. Other guitar brands there, that I remember were Mullen, Emmons, Carter, Rains, Derby and the D-8 National that Ivan played. The John Hughey memorial set was very touching for us players that loved John, which is everybody. I forgot what chord I was in when I started playing my part at first. Hearing Buck and Hal playing John's licks really touched me to the point of tears. John was my idol since age 14 on the steel guitar right up Nov.18th, when he passed away. Maybe on the next show, I can stay all night. To many names for me to start calling out cause I'll forget somebody. Excellent show as usual. Our 2nd MSP show will be coming in the summer this year. Thanks again to Bill and DSSGA for a great show.
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 5:56 am    

We missed John Hughey so much, but these guys did a wonderful tribute to him. You'll never hear better players then Hal, Buck, and Billy. It was a great show, wish we could do it every week. I hope Bill Stafford and crew get the credit they deserve for all the hard work in putting this together. And by the way, Bill sounded better then ever, those big, rich sounds he gets are beautiful. I'm grateful that I was included on the show.
J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 8:38 am     show

I sure enjoyed the show and thanks to all that helped me on my part. I got to meet some very nice new people and thanks to all of you for your suport.Thanks Bill for a very good show. Jim
Gary Moore

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 2:55 pm     GREAT SHOW

I ENJOYED THE SHOW WHAT GREAT PLAYERS LIKE ,BUCK, ,DANNY HARRELL, ,TONY LANE ,RJ, ,BERT, ,JIM PARKER, ,HAL HIGGINS, ,BILLY CARR, & SO ON & A THANKS TO ALL THE BACK UP BAND FOR A GREAT JOB ,WAYNE GOLF DRUMS. ,BEN ODELL BASS, ,BOB SAXTON LEAD, ,LITTLE JOE ALLEN PIANO, ,SOUND MAN BIG RED, GREAT JOB TO ALL.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 5:23 pm     Thanks

Gary, it was a great pleasure to have you on the program this time also. Been waiting a long time to see and hear you. Thanks , and you sounded so good.
R.J. Buras showed out some of his new licks and surprised all of us. This guy is really coming along with his steel guitar. Good job, R.J. R.J.'s gorgeous daughter, SERA, brought the house down with her soul voice and piano expertise. It was a special priviledge for all of us to even have been in the same room with this youg lady. She spends a lot of time on airplanes going to New York, London, Nashville, California, Orlando and many other places where her talent is in demand. She is a very prolific song writer and has contracts with major publishing companies and studios all over this world-even in Europe too. One day soon, you all will know about this talent. Thanks SERA for gracing our stage and audience with your presence. I am thrilled when I see how proud your dad is of you and especially the nice person and lady you are. It was a big special priviledge for me to have been on stage with you. Thanks so much.
Roy Ayres, what a gentleman and a true representative of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. So good to hear that "Tenn Waltz" by one of the original players. And, your rendition of "The Lord's Prayer" was the best I have ever heard. Hal Higgins and his booming voice did justice for the words. Special moment for all. The audience was completely enthralled. Thanks Roy for coming up from Florida.
Bill Stafford
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 11:20 pm     Great show

Yes we did have a great show thanks to Bill and everyone who came and helped out. The fellowship is always great there. I enjoyed all of the players a lot and hey I really liked that trumpet. I know that lady has been playing a long time. I've always liked trumpet and sax a lot Love, Buck & Mitzi
Clyde Bloodworth

Chancellor, AL (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 11:42 pm    

I really enjoyed all the steel guitar playing! It was an honor to meet Hank Corwin. He is such a great talent. I really appreciate Hank,P.J.Babcock,Bob Stanton and little Joe playing on my set-they saved me from disaster. I was in awe of so many great players.That area is loaded with top notch players. In addition to all that,all the folks are super nice. Mr. Stafford, I thank you for inviting me come and play. You are still "Mr. Smooth" and a true gentleman to boot.
Clyde
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2008 5:44 pm    

Bill,

After playing your show once more, it is still my favorite show to play. Everyone there is so down-to-earth I always feel just as comfortable on your stage as playing here in my own home. Folks like you, Buck, Ben, Hal, R.J., Clyde, Ed, and others make it a real pleasure to play. And I finally, after all of these years, got to meet and play a gig with Bob Saxton, one of the planet's premier guitarists. In talking, he and I found that we knew and had worked with a lot of the same people back in "olden times." Sera tore the stage up and brought the house down, as she usually does. (No one has the right to be that young and energetic.) The tribute to John Hughey was awesome, and I have never heard anyone play John's signature song, "Look At Us", more beautifully than Hal -- even including the world-famous "Hugheyland" slide. I finally got a chance to thank Charlene Tate for the great picture of you, John and me on my last visit there.

Thanks to you and Betty for a simply great trip. Just don't wait too long before the next one.
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2008 5:48 am     What are you guys doing having such a good time without Me?

Sounds like, This was one of the Good Ones! I never expected anything less coming from some top pickers like that. Clyde, you never cease to amaze me, And I can listen to those recordings of you at Saluda and The Hair Still Stands up on my neck,You remind me more of Curly than anybody I ever Heard.
Hank Corwin has been a Friend for a long time and There's no denying that he is one of the all time greats. But you guys need to get in Line when it comes to Mr Smooth, I have seniority!! I Met Bill Stafford in 1967 in Key West,Fla and Have picked with him on and off for over 40 years and I don't understand it since I'm only 39 years old. Shocked
Mr Smooth deserves to be in the SGHOF and Hank Corwin too. That is my unsolicited Opinion,as I have a habit of expressing most of the time.

Mr Roy, I've never heard you play and have always wanted to, maybe one of these days I'll get the Chance.
Wayne Gray has always been a super picker and I first heard him play his Gitfiddle in the shop where I worked in Nashville 73-74. He's a super picker for sure.

John
Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2008 6:54 am     ANOTHER GOOD-UN

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MAN !!!!! What a show. Talking about hair standing up,,,,, this one did it to me. If I had four hands, they would all be red (from the clapping) during this show.

What a pleasure to see you all, and to have the honors of working with you.

I'm at a loss for words to explain, so I'll just say, thanks for the opportunity, and I'll add one last note:

CLYDE,,,,,,,,,,Adams called Sunday and and said for me to tell you "HELLO". What a picker !!!!!

Ben O'Dell
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2008 8:06 am    

Ben, you sounded so good at the show, both singing and pickin'. The whole band did a great job. Bob Saxon is incredible, I think he knows every song in the world. I can't mention everyone, but I was very impressed by Tony Lane. It was the first time I had heard him and he sounded great. Some day I'd like to hear a whole afternoon of Hank Corwin. What a super player he is. Glad Ed Clark was there, I always hope to see and hear him. And that plate size steak is finally wearing off, I'm ready for another.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2008 4:32 pm     Now its time

Shows like our just can not exist with out the special talents and assistance of our staff band members. Ben O'Dell, Wayne Goff, Bob Saxton, Ed Clark. Jack Goodson, Little Joe (Ward),Hal Higgins spelled on keyboard , Tony Lane on lead guitar also, Buck Grantham on lead too, and special thanks to Harnk Corwin on his bass stints, P.J. Babcock and his high powered electronic drum set, Ellis Olsen, Wayne Gray and if I have forgotten anyone, please forgive me for my senior moments. You guys make it so easy for our show to be as good as they are. Could not be done without any of you, so I send my deepest thanks for your friendship and talents you so freely give to all of us. And, we just might have to go to two days if things keep up like they are going in order to get all the players on stage. Newsletter will be mailed next week and DSSG will call for a meeting to make sure we continue to grow in the pace we can afford. Thanks again to all for this wonderful show. I was in hog heaven all afternoon and evening.
Bill Stafford
Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 10:04 am    

Well just about Everything has been said about the successful show at Gulfport. First of all having great leaders such as Bill Stafford and Ben Odell makes it all possible. I personally had a great day, all the wonderful talent that we have in our area. I thought I heard it all until the the Gentleman from Alabama came over to be with us. I have to say i was really empressed with the different styles that were played Saturday. Mr Clyde Bloodworth a style this youngin has not heard. what a sound with great style and feel. Then the Turquiose Excell 14 string came alive with Gordon, as i was told by some was a style actually by Julian Tharpe, Gordons setup on his steel was also that of Julians. Jack had the fiddle talking every note and phrasing just right, what a great Guy. Jack was in there with the band like he done this before. And Mr. Gary moore' I was sure glad i played in front of him instead of behind him in turn. what a player. I think the next show Gary needs a set with guys like Billy Carr, Buck Granthum, Tony Lane and Danny Harrell. I mean pickers of such caliber that he can really show off with. Great playing MR. GARY MOORE. I hope Herbie Stuart will play on the next show. Herbie and the great lloyd Green was big buddies in the early days. Everyone was so tasteful and professional, Howard Tate did a superb job and all the way from Leesville Louisiana that what makes our show so great. Bert Courag'ge A great person, a fine steel player. I enjoy getting to sit down and pick with these guy's. Mr. Hank Corwin did it again. i had the pleasure of having Mr. hank at my studio recently for a few demo's you need to hear that, Wow!
Mr. Smooth Melted us down with that Excel 14 string. Bill Stafford a great man with the patience of JOB especially when i am over at his house getting a lesson. Sitting at the steel with Bill is like the Apostle Paul sitting at the feet of Gamaeil a teacher of the Law in the bible. Thank you Bill. My Little Girl Sera. I know what everyone thinks of Sera; Oncore,Oncore... The Back up band was fabulos.
Mr Buck and his new light weight Mullen did some heavy hitting. man what a sound coming from the guitar and the man behind it. You go Buck' knockem out in Branson this week. Thanks to all that helped with the show and the sound by Garland Moran and Red Necaise was the best yet. Applaud!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh I almost forgot my good friend Jim Parker from Meridian Ms. Jim was not feeling very well. He borrowed a guitar and stole the show anyhow....
I know i probably missed someone or something , but not on purpose but by mistake. you were all great. can't wait till the next show.

Your Steel Playin Friend;

R J Buras
"Turquiose" Excell SD12 5x7 Steel with a floor shift.
Roland Buras

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 9:43 pm    

Mr. Clyde Bloodworth, An Amazing player. Mr Bill can tell you more about this Gentleman.

Roland Buras

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 9:47 pm    

Gordon really played a great show in gulfport with his 14 string excel

Roland Buras

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 9:53 pm    

Mr. Roy Ayers with his new Excell. What a wonderful person and a great player. He waltzed the fans from Tennessee to Mississippi.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 5:17 am     Show

Welcome to EXCEL Land folks! Great pictures R.J. Now we just need one of you and one of your EXCELS.
It was a special treat to have Clyde and Gordon along with Roy Ayres on our program. Our newsletter is being written and will be out next week.
Bill Stafford
Roland Buras

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 8:19 am    

And Here is Mr. Bill Stafford, Known to most as the Mr. Smooth. Bill's 14 string Excell

Roland Buras

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 8:25 am    

My Turquoise Excel 12SD 5x7

Roland Buras

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 8:42 am    

Mitsuo Fugi at my home playing the guitar he built for me. Mitsuo flew here from Japan to Check on Mr. Bill Stafford while Bill was in the Hospital, what a great friend.

Roland Buras

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 9:12 am    

This Beauty is a 9x8 Excel Built by Mr Mitsuo I ordered the seat to match from Ken Rollins Easy Rider

RJ Buras