| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody else seen a "Pifer" - a house-branded Gibs
Andrew Gregg

Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2008 10:34 pm    

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has come across a "Pifer" before? I have one that I've had for a year or so, and just adore it. All mahogany construction, square neck, silk-screened fretboard ala the mastertone hawaiian's gibson made.

I'm keen to find out if anyone know anything about the mysterious Pifer and who/why they deemed it appropriate to get their own housebranded guitar.

Andrew
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2008 9:07 am    

Gibson devoted a substantial portion of their production effort to budget lines at one time (notably during the depression years of the 1930s). Brands known to have been used include Kalamazoo, Mastertone, Recording King, Cromwell, Fascinator, Capital, Kel Kroyden, Martelle, and Washburn. It's quite possible your Pifer is a Gibson made instrument.

Do you have any photos of the guitar you could share?
Andrew Gregg

Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2008 12:51 pm    

Hey Brad,

I'll get some - having had kalamazoos and mastertones previously, there's no doubt to me this is gibson made - something I probably didn't make clear in the post.Tonally, it has a nice deep bass response, and singing mids and top end. Great bang for the buck.

Cheers

Andrew
Wyn Walke

VA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2008 5:52 pm    

2 years ago I asked a seller about the one he had on ebay. He replied that Pifer was a Hawaiian music school in the forties, and that his confirmation came from a notable Gibson authority. That's all I've ever found, and don't know how much of that is true.

Most definitely a Gibson made Mastertone Special tho, just with a diff logo. Here are a couple of pix:

Andrew Gregg

Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2008 10:10 pm    

That's my Pifer (possibly literally - it's identical). Camera at work, so no photo today Crying or Very sad

I recently told a good mate (and better player - Jeff Lang) that I'd "picked up a sweet Pifer", he asked "What's a Pifer??""

"Eating, obviously" (budda-tish) Razz
Tighe Falato

South Plainfield, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 9:51 am    

....and I thought I was the only one on the planet that owned a Pifer Laughing

Definitely the same thing as the Mastertone Special as I've owned several of those as well. I heard the name was for a midwest music school/teacher but have been unable to verify. Great little hawaiian guitars for the money!
Andrew Gregg

Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 2:05 pm    

I know I shouldn't be surprised that it is identical, but: Wow, Tighe! It's identical to mine. Looks like we're the Pifer Special Brothers, huh? Is yours the one that Wyn is talking about? I bought mine from eBay about 10 mths ago, but I do not remember it have that kind of provenance attached to the auction copy.

BTW, Mine has screws in the same spot on the bridge - I thought they might have been a, umm... "custom" feature Very Happy

How does yours sound? I have medium strings on mine, tuned to open D for Blind Willie type of stuff.
Tighe Falato

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 10:16 am    

Gregg,
The reason it looks identical is because its your guitar Very Happy The name didn't click at first but Australia did! I never could verify that it was made for a hawaiian guitar school or instructor but it was pretty standard practice back in the day.
Andrew Gregg

Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 2:16 pm    

Ahhh...Tighe! I now "totally" get it (for other, what might be an "in joke", not a reversion to teenagerhood)

It seems a bit funny to me now - are we all talking about one guitar, not two? Am I now: Andrew, King of Pifers??
Tighe Falato

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 3:06 pm    

Gregg, King of Pifers, you have been bestowed the title and associated property (1 hawaiian guitar) for the Land Down Under.
I'm "totally" sure its the same one! Laughing
Andrew Gregg

Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 3:23 pm    

I humbly accept the office Very Happy

It's a great little guitar this one - It's embarrassed many a guitar owner with weissenbergs and Koneys (what I call the clones out there). I'm not sure if this one is exceptional in terms of Mastertones, but everyone who plays it remarks on how great it sounds
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 8:55 pm    

The Mastertone Special, by any name, is one of the finest-sounding acoustic steels out there--bar none and humble appearance notwithstanding. I have an embarrassment of Weissenborns and Konas (even a few Similars I was involved with causing to be constructed), have played dozens and dozens of others of Hermann's spawn, so my praise for these modest little Kalamazoo-made gems is far from faint. I second the earlier comments about how great these sound. The only things that come to mind that I've liked almost as much in non-hollowneck/non-reso acoustic steels include an Epiphone Madrid (big honkin' late-30s 12-fret dreadnaught Hawaiian; 20s Martin 2-17H and a Greenfield "log" (rarer than the "hambone," it's a rectangle with a soundhole and a headstock grafted on top.)

Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 9:08 pm    

Hey Ben - thanks for the post. This one came in at (I think) something like $380 shipped...to Australia, and has been a joy ever since. It went from a "toe in the water" to a "keeper", to a "maybe bury me with it" guitar in a matter of days. The little lady forbids me thinking of selling it.

I've played a bunch of Hermman's spawn, but never one head-to-head with teh Pifer. When I talk to my kona-owner buddies and tell them of this little beauty, they give me avuncular response about "one day owning a real hawaiian guitar"...
Tighe Falato

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 4:06 am    

IMHO the Weissenborn has been built up to be the top dog hawaiian because of its design, use of koa and of course, the notable players who "discovered" them. I own a Style 1 and love her to death but I turn to a entry level 1940 Martin 0-15H for recording. I have several other hawaiian models made by Gibson and Martin including a koa 0-18K all of which will hold their own against a Weiss, Kona, etc. Unfortunately many of the Gibson and Martin hawaiians were converted back to spanish (and worth much more!) so when you come across a clean one, its a nice find Very Happy