| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NV 112 Amp. XLR out
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 1:47 am    

Hi All.
I only mentioned a Nasville 112 Amp because that is the one I own,this also means any amp.
If I were to play on stage at any given volume would the volume at the amp be cut if I hook the XLR out to a desk?
Thanks
Billy
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 2:22 am    

No it wouldn`t. Also , usually the master vol doesn`t affect the XLR output, so you can alter the stage volume without changing your level on the PA. I find that usefull and would think the sound man likes that too.
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 3:01 am    

Thanks Olli
Al Moss

Kent,OH,USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 7:03 am    

I've been patching the xlr out from my NV 1-12 to a TC Furlong powered cab. The two amps together sound real nice. The pre-amp level of the NV 1-12 affects the output level of the xlr. i.e. the higher the pre amp level the hotter the out level to wherever your xlr is headed. So, to turn up the stage volume from the amp you'll need to get a happy output level to the soundman and then adjust your stage volume with only the post gain level that is controlled from the master volume control to the right of the reverb control.
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 7:07 am    

The only thing to pay attention to is how the speaker colors the sound. With the xlr to the board the crowd will not hear your speaker.

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 3:03 am     hum

I have a hum in the XLR in my NV112. I tried using it to record and only the XLR has the hum, it's not the reverb either.

Any suggestions short of bringing it in to a tech?

Geo
Mike Shockley

Lufkin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 7:33 pm    

I also have a hum in my XLR output. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 3:55 am    

I did a show yesterday (actually two shows an afternoon and evening) and used the XLR out instead of a mike for the shows. Worked with no problem. I could set the master volume for what I wanted and it didn't affect the feed to the monitor and front PA boards.

There can be several reasons for hum, the cable can be an issue if the ground is connected to the ground wire in the cable and also the shield. I got this tip from Blake Hawkins who used to be a TV station engineer. I bought some cheap Musician Friends XLR cbles and they had the ground hooked to the cable shield and Blake said that can cause ground loop hum problems.
Mike Shockley

Lufkin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 7:57 am    

Jack, Can the ground from the neck selector switch being soldered to the shield that is also soldered to the ground side of the female input on the end of the guitar set up a ground loop?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 8:17 am    

I'm certain that it's in the amp itself. I've tried many differant mic cables at differant venues and it's the same. Even without my guitar plugged into the amp it hums. I can shut off all controls too and the hum is still coming thru the PA system. I have an old Peavey XLR connector that goes between the amp and speaker for my Fender. I can hook that amp up to the system - no hum. I unplug the cable from the Fender and plug it into the NV112 and the hum is there.

Mike Brown could be on vacation or busy with something as he never did get back to me.

Geo
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 8:28 am     hum in 112

I also get a hum outa my LXR on my
112 would like some help from Mike Brown as well Very Happy

ive tried many types of cords even new ones
still hums
Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 11:22 am    

I've had this problem on occassion too. Sometimes , there would be no problem. I believe it's the hydro. I had the local music store make me up a short XLR cable with the ground lifted at one end,& that does the trick. I think it's like back in the early 90's when I used to run 2 Nashville 400s & a profex 11 & you could only ground 1 of them ,or else you would get terrible hum. As soon as you're connecting your grounded amp to the grounded soundboard,there's 2 grounds. I think this is a better way then lifting your ground from your amp.Maybe to experiment,throw on a little 3 to 2 prong adapter on your plug & see if the hum goes away.Let us know....Rene
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 3:21 pm    

If you have the Reverb on and turned up all Peavey steel amps I've seen will get some hum and that will also be heard on the XLR out.

Turn the reverb to zero (off) and see what that does for the output hum. Otherwise it is some type of "ground loop" hum.
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 4:41 pm     no hum in reverb on mine

no hum on reverb on mine at all

in fact it has no hum or noise at all

changing reverb down to 0

does not effect my hum at all through

LXR still hums reverb at 0
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 5:10 pm    

A few thoughts on XLR connections in general.

Jack Stoner has already mentioned not connecting the
shell of the XLR to pin 1. The reason is that when you plug the XLR into the amp, the shell is grounded to the chassis which is the safety ground.
Since many audio amplifiers and mixers isolate the signal ground from the safety ground, this creates a ground loop by connecting them together.

Rene's solution of connecting the shield on only one end is a correct techinque. Many audio systems are constructed with balanced lines grounded at only one end of the shield. Either at the source or the destination. The exception is microphone cables which need to connect to the microphone ground as well as the amplifier.
I have seen some cables made by "Pro-Co" which had the shield connected directly on one end and an isolation capacitor on the other end.

An an additional consideration is the input wiring on
the mixer and the output wiring of the amp.
Back in the "Good Old Days" we used transformers
which tied everything down to 600 ohms and it was called a "Power Matched System." Modern audio
equipment uses op-amps to drive the line and as an input to the mixer. The source impedence is typically less that 60 ohms and the load impedence is 4000 ohms or greater. This is called a "Voltage Matched System."
The point being that a modern system can be wired in many different ways and may be more suseptable to
noise ingress.
The Peavey specifications state that XLR output wants to see a 5000 ohm load. (Nashville 112)

The problem at a gig is that you don't know how the XLR is wired and the soundman may not know either especially if they are using "off the shelf" cables.

One trick I used to use on remote broadcasts was to carry several isolation boxes with me which I had made up using transformers that completely isolated the grounds between two cords. That always worked and was completely safe. I believe that such boxes are now commercially available.
The problem using one with a guitar is that it may "alter" the tone a bit.

Sorry for the long post. There may be other
ways.
Blake
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2008 11:53 am     Re: NV 112 Amp. XLR out

Hi Billy,

When I had my Nashville 112, I always used the XLR out to a mixing desk. Did huge gigs (several thousand people)with no problem. I'm after another one because like so many of us I got rid of something I didn't need to. Just got to get rid of "another" amp Wink that's going pretty cheap Smile

Micky Byrne England