| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  doing down town thing for a little while
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 2:23 am    

well, last week I was in Missouri and last nite from 10pm-2am at the Legends on Broadway.Cold rainy nite but busy,I gues Predators had a game.Crowd was good, they were more excited about my new electric Deering Crossfire banjo than my steel, James Mitchell, one of the great guitar pickers stopped by,his girlfriend plaid fiddle and was looking at my Promat, he never saw one and said that sounded great,of course,the Webb 614 didn`t hurt the tone either.I must say that Deering is a big discovery for me as a banjo player, it has a great tone and it is so easy to work on the stage, control the volume,tone color,tune the thing, there is no feedback what so ever no matter how loud I play, for the first time ever I can actually play louder than a drummer, ha ,what a feeling.Promat sounded great as always, I`m rusty and lost my speed and chops but it`s coming back to me slowly.I change the route I do with my truck so now I don`t work every day and when i work I still have time to go down town and do some picking, pay..? well, we all know how that is down town,don`t we.But for me right now is important to get back to where I was, or at least as close as I can, will I ever do music as a pro??I don`t know, there is just no money in it, and even if I get an artist gig, it would be hard to make with playing what I make now working 3-4 days a week with my truck.It is funny feeling to pull in front of the club with my Mercedes S 320 and pull out my steel, tourists get kind of confused, they can`t put those two pictures together I guess, LOL, I work hard for my car but play for fun, if it was up to my music to pay for my transportation I would have been riding a MTA bus LOL.Well, here is few pictures from the club, they were taken early in the morning after crowd had left with my cellphone so they are not very good, but it kind of gives you the vibe.Jay plaid at the stage, didn`t have a chance to hear him.Terry Crisp plays at the Stage on Wednesdays from 6-10pm with his wife Christy, don`t miss that.Mike Sweeney sounds great on his new Zum, and some new guys I don`t know are around and some guys I kind of know, but at my age I`m happy to remember how to get back home after the gig LOL and not the names of the guys I haven`t seen in 7 years.Good old down town Broadway scene, same old business going on, it is good to be back and see old friends but at the same time ,it is good to know that I have a job that pays my bills so i can aford it to play for a diet Coke.I may be playing next Thursday nite from 10pm-2am if anyone wants to stop and say hi,I`d love that, well, time for me to go to bed, I`m tired, all that gear, it must weigh a ton, or maybe i`m just getting too old for pushing it around as I used to...I don`t even remember how many times I promissed to myself that in my next life I will be a singer or a harp player..huh...good nite now...and yeah, one more thing, it was a blast to play with a good fiddle player in the band, one that is in tune and knows what she was doing..really blast...

view at the stage

view of the stage at 2am

tourist confuser

Db

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 6:13 am    

Probably one of the least said phrases:

Quote:
Check out the banjo player's new Mercedes. -Passerby-

Playing tonite myself. A gig where I was told "this is 'pedal steel only'". I take it with a grain of salt, and my spite builds... I've got more than one telecaster to wear out, and a basement full of tube amps.

It's (spite) always been my secondary motivator, right behind money. Vying heavily now for #1

Hey. Whatever it takes..

Smile

EJL
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 8:52 am    

hey Eric, great to hear from you, I was already warried about you Smile ...
well, that Mercedes is far from new, it is 1999 with 130 000 miles but runs good and it will help me to establish my credit after all the circus with bankruptcy last year, still, it is an odd scene on the Broadway to see a banjo player with a Mercedes LOL..I love the guys i plaid with, they wwanted me to bring the banjo, they asked me if I can play tele and if I can sing, bunch a good old guys,I had a fun.take care and enjoy your gig my friend..

Db

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 9:00 am    

Hey Damir -

I enjoy your stories and your posts but I've always wondered ... how do you pronounce your name? Is it DAY-mer BESS-itch or da-MEER BAY-sic or what?
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 9:08 am    

hey Frank, thank you very much, I try to make it little interesting for you guys to read and I hardly ever sugarcoat anything, I pretty much say it how it is and I know that guys who don`t live in Nashville like to read once in a while about the life on the music rows of Nashville. You pernaunce my name just the way it writes DA-MIR if that makes any sence Confused I have a good friends in Illinois at White Hall, actually in Hillview, small town east of St.Louis, I plaid up there few times, great country side, hills and trees, beautiful.take care my friend.

Db

Akron, OH
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 10:19 am    

My favorite little strip of downtown anywhere…

Last time I was there, I caught JamesM (with Mike and Marty) at the Wheel. Some of the best pogressive chicken tele pickin I ever heard (and I’ve herd some). Am planning to get back in March – hope I can check that Promat out.

I’ve wondered (for the non-harp players), after you unload, where do you have to park?
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 12:27 pm    

Bill,

James is awesome picker and old friend of mine, if you`d like to check out Promat just let me know when you`re coming and we can get together, no problem.As far as parking goes, most of the times I par behind Tootsiess in the alley, 9 out of 10 times I don`t have a problem, and last time I got a ticket, the ticket was actually cheaper than paying a parking, so works ok for me, but overall parking situation for musicians down town s$#%$. Cool

Db

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 9:26 am     Really!

hey!....I thought all Nashville steel players had one!! Oh, well.

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2008 4:29 pm    

ha, nice, 123 body line, must be 80`s, had few of those, one 119 line and now 140, never had a bad mercedes, regardles of the miles or year. I heard the black ones are the best tho Mr. Green

Db