| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Time Jumpers
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 1:52 pm    

I got to catch the "Time Jumpers" at The Station Inn last night. Boy howdie they were good. The entire band played so well; yes, Paul did a super job on the PSG. We bumped into each other in the mens room and he said it was a real blast playing with this group. Saw Mama Jean collecting money at the door. If you haven't seen this group, or heard their music, you need to make it a priority. Very Happy
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 2:09 pm    

I'm going to see them on 10th March. I just can't wait to see this incredible show.

This is a case of musicians playing for the love, not the money.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 11:39 am    

Where is the Station Inn, and what nights do TJs play??
In the off chance I ever get back to Nashville.

Thanks..BF
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 12:18 pm    

12th street I believe off Broadway. They play two sets every Monday night.
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 4:01 pm     Off, Off, Broadway

Way off Broadway. In the "Gulch"
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 1:53 am    

Paul who??? does Paul Franklin plays with time jumpers on Mondays???

Db

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 5:35 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
Paul who??? does Paul Franklin plays with time jumpers on Mondays???

Db

YES Very Happy
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 6:02 am    

oh my God, I can`t miss that for nothing....I`ll be there next Monday Shocked

Db

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 7:09 am    

I'm keenly anticipating seeing them with Paul! I don't know yet when circumstances will permit, but I'll make it soon.

I've been watching these guys and gals since the 'Johnny Cox' days, and I've always come away inspired by the sheer musicality of it all. A special note here for my friend and astounding guitarist, Andy Reiss - he's amazing, and always gets such a terrific tone from that Gibson arch-top.

I can't wait to hear Paul Franklin 'in the mix'...

RR
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 1:43 pm    

For those of you who don't have the opportunity to see them live, here's something for you:
I stumbled upon a radio show called "The Woodsong Old Time Radio Hour" a few weeks ago, and the episode happened to feature the Time Jumpers with John Hughey. The audio is very good quality.
Here is the Woodsong archives, and the Time Jumpers are show number 447.

http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp

-John
p.s. Dig John's solo on "Honeysuckle Rose". Whew...
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 1:53 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
I'm keenly anticipating seeing them with Paul! I don't know yet when circumstances will permit, but I'll make it soon.

I've been watching these guys and gals since the 'Johnny Cox' days, and I've always come away inspired by the sheer musicality of it all. A special note here for my friend and astounding guitarist, Andy Reiss - he's amazing, and always gets such a terrific tone from that Gibson arch-top.

I can't wait to hear Paul Franklin 'in the mix'...

RR

Dead right Roger - although I've only seen the DVD, Andy Reiss's playing and tone is wonderful. It sits perfectly in the whole sound of the band. I'm counting down the days before I see the guys in action. It's a long way to make this pilgrimage, but it will be worth every penny/cent.
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 2:08 pm    

As great as Paul sounds in the band I'll bet he would
rather be in the audience listening to John and stealing licks one more time.
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 5:54 pm    

Andy Reiss is absolutely incredible. It's hard to believe there were that many tasteful notes in 6 strings. He was amazing. It was really fun to watch the grins Paul and Andy had when they played off of each other for brief licks and phrases. It was 1st class all the way.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 7:41 pm    

Andy is the first good guitar player I ever played with (and I had only been playing for 6 months or so). He's still one of my favorite players ever. Andy is so fluid, musical, and probably has the best jazz tone of any guitar player I have ever heard.

I'm a charter member of the Andy Reiss fan club.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 9:19 pm    

They're on the Opry and the Midnight Jamboree
tommorrow night.

Tony
Jamie Danter

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 8:02 am     WSM--ET Midnight Jamboree--Links

WSM

ET Record Shop

jamie
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 8:25 am    

I haven't been over to see Paul yet but I'm hoping for this Monday. You might know I'm playing tonight from 8-12 and won't make the Jamboree either! One of Andys amps is a 51 Fender Deluxe, no reverb and probably just a tone knob. He replaced the speaker but outside of that the amp has never been touched, tolex falling off and he carrys it in with no cover on it and just does that thing real justice. I kind of thought he sounded like Hank Garland the first time I heard him and it turned out he was the man he studied the most. It sure shows!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 9:21 am    

Right, Frank - that's the amp.

Andy plays with such fluidity and he has great 'time'. I know he's a big admirer of Garland, and I'm reminded of the Great Man when I hear him play.

I bought a Telecaster from him when I was touring with him as a part of the Slim Whitman band (also with Jimmie Crawford and Harold Bradley), and he'd fitted his own gauge of string to it. I was used to playing with .010"s through .042"s, but Andy told me: "This one's got real man's strings on it - not those namby-pamby things YOU play!" No doubt just a part of the secret of his great tone.

He also has a bunch of great guitars sitting at home!!!

RR
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 10:57 am    

Hate to be "Sammy Sour" here. I listened to the Woodsong show and yes the playing is incredible and very enjoyable all around, with one exception. Everything is authentic, the twin fiddles, the guitar tone, etc, but why the choice of pedal steel instead of straight steel? Straight, or non-pedal steel is one of the major components of the Western Swing sound as created by MacAuliffe, Boggs, Remington, et al. I'm not worthy to tie John Hughey's shoes, but I cringe when I hear pedal steel in Western Swing. It sounds as out of place to me as if they would have substituted synthesizer for piano. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Does anyone else share it?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 11:11 am    

Not me!

This isn't the thread for another SGF confrontation, but psg is, in my opinion, a more musically-versatile instrument than non-pedal. Keyboards are just keyboards. Steel guitars have advanced in this regard, and would surely have been an integral part of Western Swing had the genre survived.

I also love hearing Buddy Gene on those Ray Pennington CDs, bud I expect they're offensive to some for the same reason.

RR
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 11:39 am    

Quote:
... Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Does anyone else share it?

Emphatically no. Nor does the fact that Andy Reiss' guitar was made in the 1960s and he occasionally infuses his playing with a slightly more modern jazz style bother me either. I don't think it's required to relegate any traditional style of music strictly to a museum piece.

To me, it's about playing appropriately, not about quasi-religious instrument orthodoxy. The tuning is basically the same 6th tuning that a lot of nonpedal steel players use. One can use or not use the pedals at all, and if one uses them, use them appropriately or not. If I thought there was one note out of place, it would be different.

I think music needs to evolve. To me, the Time Jumpers represent the pinnacle of great traditional musical expression. They never stray from the roots, but expand it very slightly and in a very nice way. I suggest going to hear them live - they are palpably fantastic. I think this is one "must-see" event in Nashville right now.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 12:27 pm    

They are all fantastic musicians. You won't hear anyone stepping on anyone. One of the most profssional sounding groups there are. Hard to beat from the singers, right on down the line. Especially how much the love of what they're doing, shows up on each of their faces. One hard act to follow. And, those triplet fiddles. It simply doesn't get any better than that... Don
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 12:35 pm    

One great aspect of the group is that it's essentially organic, and real music that's living and breathing.

I have no doubt that the great bands of the past would have also been open to new and revolutionary musical ideas, and I bet some of those guitar/steel guitar duets with Rhodes and Charlton would have raised a few eyebrows in their day.

Pedal steel guitar is the logical - and musically-valid - development of non-pedal steel. Much as I am in awe of what the best non-pedal players achieved, the range of the modern steel guitar is considerably greater.

RR
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 12:50 pm    

I like the pedal sound in Western Swing...I don't really play Western Swing or C6 to speak of,but I like to listen to it..."Buddy Emmons Sings Bob Wills"-to me,that record updated the Western Swing sound when it came out(mid '70s?)...I never was really interested in WS until I heard that record...it turned me on to a LOT of other great music!Some of it was older-kinda like hearing about Elmore James from the Allman Brothers...Just my opinion...

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2008 1:08 pm     Re: Time Jumpers

Tim Bridges wrote:
yes, Paul did a super job on the PSG. Very Happy

Thanks for the report, Tim, and I'm not giving you a hard time, but your quote above reminds me a little bit of saying something like "and yes, Tom Brady did a super job at quarterback."

Uhhh...Yeah! Winking

Isn't it true that in the latter days in the existence of some of the great western swing bands, didn't many of the steel players go to pedal guitars?

Our outstanding regional western swing band that I have seen play several times is Don Burnham's Lost Weekend, featuring Bobby Black on steel.

I have seen Bobby play his West Coast Steel non-pedal, his newer MSA SuperSlide S-12 non-pedal, and his Carter D-10 with this group.

It's been great every time, regardless which axe he brings.

I guess that's because he's Bobby Black - and I'm sure the same could be said about Paul Franklin with the Time Jumpers.