| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zane Beck - Hear Him Play!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 7:41 am    

There been a lot of pictures posted and a lot of talk about those fabulous ZB Custom guitars. Now let's hear what one of them sound like in the hands of someone who knows how to milk tone out of a guitar. It's a smooth blend of a number of styles, sorta E9th like then all of a sudden in the same phrase, he's playing something C6th like. Zane's tone and style have always knocked me out and I want other's to hear a few of these if they never have before. Two of the cuts sound like Bobby Caldwell on guitar. Another thing, notice the lack of any heavy compression on these recordings.

Zane Beck Cut #1

Zane Beck Cut #2

Zane Beck Cut #3

Greg

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 24 Feb 2008 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 8:26 am    

Thanks Greg!
I'd never actually heard Zane play before. Super playing!

...and that SOUND! It really makes me miss my old ZB. That is THE sound, right there. For me, even better than a push/pull. (Hey, I said for me! Wink )

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 8:31 am    

Greg
These are from the Zane Beck meets Bobby Caldwell CD, produced by DeWitt Scott on Midland Records originally. Still available through Bobby's web site.

That is a great example of the ZB sound. Zane was a superb player.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 8:35 am    

See more on this on http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118173&highlight=zane+beck
robert hays

sikeston mo. usa
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 8:47 am    

Thanks for posting those songs, I had not heard Zane play in a long time, I remember him playing at the convention in St Louis, he always made you wonder how he got all those great licks, His tuning must have been unique to say the least, Great playing and great songs, And the ZB was sounding great too, Bobby Caldwell as usual great too.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 9:52 am    

Anyone who likes what they're are hearing should rush out and buy any copy of these albums they can find. My records show 2 cuts from the above mentioned album and one from "Zane Beck Plays the new ZB Student Model". I think I have 4 albums around here with Zane on them. The others are something like "12+14" with Julian Tharpe and I'm still hunting for the title of the other one.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 31 Jan 2008 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 2:37 pm    

Boo hoo those links don't work for me .
Cody Campbell

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 11:29 pm    

THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 2:26 am    

I believe Zane's tuning is basically an E-13th tuning. He referred to it as E-9th with an Added 6th. Smile

Roger
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 12:45 pm    

Greg, wasn't his widow going to do something with his music? I was hoping that these would be re-issued on CDs.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 1:30 pm    

Charles,

Faye has never released anymore of Zane's material. You can go to the BMI Beck Musical Website and hear and purchase two of his "Tribute To Zane Beck." and also believe the "Bobby Caldwell Meets Zane Beck."

I think Bobby has thir reissued on CD. Unfortunately they have the Tribute only on casette but it is really in my opinion Zane's best because it showcases Zane's incredible ability as a super steel player. He was a Master player as well as a builder of the instrument.

There were alot of guys who played both his ZB steels and his BMI steel guitars. I have played a custom 14 string BMI that he and Don Fristche built for me in 1984.

Check out the BMI website and all the neat pictures on Zane too.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 1:15 pm    

Bump.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 1:26 pm    

"Zane Beck Meets Bobby Caldwell"

I believe this is avaiable as a reissue on CD through Bobby's website. If my memory serves me correctly, it was recorded in about 3 1/2 hours.

Maybe Mr. Caldwell will fill us in that session. It is a super CD by the way it sounds like it was recorded just the other day.

"A Tribute to Zane Beck," is available only on cassette but can be purchased from the BMI Beck Musical Instruments website. It is a great CD too!

GOD bless!
Terry Wood

Last edited by Terry Wood on 9 Mar 2009 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 6:21 am    

The "Zane Beck Meets Bobby Caldwell" recording was done in Nashville Tn. in 1973. Scotty was the producer and yes we did the whole thing in 31/2 hrs. Ric Boyer was on bass, Ralph Land on drums and Chuck Raue on rhythm guitar. Zane was a hoot to work with and we had a lot of fun doing this project. After the session we went back to motel cleaned up a little got something to eat and went out to Curly Chalker's house for an all night jam session. Ah the good ole days. The recording is now available on CD from my web site. www.bobbycaldwell.net Zane was a dear friend and I loved him alot. I miss him and think of him often. I think those of you who are not familier with Zane's playing should check out some of his recordings. You will be in for a pleasant surprise. My best to all, Bobby
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 10:50 am    

I highly recommend that those intereted contact Bobby and order the CD titled "Zane Beck Meets Bobby Caldwell."

Bobby, how is your hand doing?

I hope you can come pick with us at the 3rd Annual Marshfield Steel Guitar Show this summer.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 7:49 pm    

Terry, Thanks for asking about the hand. It's been over a year since I had the operation and it's working okay. About as well as everything else I guess. At my age some things just don't work like they used to. But that's okay, I am still here to talk about it so that's okay. I'll know when it's time to stop and that's not any time soon I don't think. My Best, Bobby
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2008 4:20 pm    

In 1968, Tom Bradshaw put together a West Coast Steel show in the Sonoma-Napa, CA area. It was my first time seeing and hearing Maurice Anderson. Wow, what a shock hearing such great playing from a single neck universal. While walking around at the different displays, I followed the sweetest sounding chords being played. The player was playing the crudest looking 4 X 10 piece of wood like it was pulled from the beams of a building. It was Zane Beck proving you can fool the brain into thinking you have to have a spectacular looking instrument to get "The Sound." Maybe he proved the early introduction to "The Sound is in the Hands" analogy. Sure fooled me.
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 8:59 pm     Zane Beck With Bobby Caldwell

Rolling Eyes Whoa!
Greg; Thanks for sharing these Instrumentals with us of Zane's out-standing playing abilities. I had never heard music of him before.I've, on occasion, have seen that Caldwell boy assisting other musicians on many of Bill Ferguson's U-Tube clips. A mighty fine lead guitar player, in his own right. Bobby, you were doing a fabulous job on these recordings with Zane. Will get an order out to you soon. Have got to hear more of that superb playing.. Zane performed on guitar as well as he built them..Bernie Laughing Cool Smile

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 3:08 am    

I bought this album when it first came out in the 70's and darn near wore it out. I am glad it was released on CD.

Scotty has hundreds of hours of video and audio recordings that I hope one day will get out into the public domain with the consent of those participating.
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 5:10 am    

If you can find a copy of Zane's 1971 lp Plays the new ZB Student Model, you will hear that you don't need a professional steel to get professional music. If the lp cover didn't read that, you would never know it is played on a student model with 4 and 3, tuned E9 with an added 6th. A great lp!!

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 6:00 am    

Buck Grantham proved how good a student steel guitar could sound at the last Gulfport show. He played a student model Mullen, it sounded like a $5000 pro model.
Z.B. had such a sweet sound. He improvised but you could hear the melody all the way through the song. I love it.
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 10:56 am    

Somewhere around1972, I bought a used D-11, my first double neck, from Zane. I called him and visited with him about it and my copedent. I drove to Scranton, Ar. to pick it up. Zane drove in from the field on his tractor. When to his shop to see the guitar and play it. I guess he actually gave me my first C6th lesson. Showing me some basic grips and pedal moves. He played to sap out of my guitar then played his. I was mesmorized. watching this man play in a pair of thick soled workboots, coveralls etc. making the most beautiful music. The guys that went with me and I were just speechless. Zane was so nice that words cannot even describe it. The trip back to McAlester, Ok. was mostly in silence as we could not believe what just experienced.

I never got to meet the man again or hear him play live again, but the memory has always been with me.

Just my story. Thanks for listening.

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 12:35 pm    

I hope folks don't get tired of hearing this story but I sure don't get tired of sharing it. I didn't know Zane until a mutual friend brought him to see me about building some lake house cabinets for Zane. Zane asked if I would be interested in building a set of cabinets for him in exchange for him building me a BMI D10. He said it would be a simple set and he would pick them up and install them and he was not really interested in determining what the cabinets or the guitar was worth, just make the trade. I was playing a guitar I had built so I was eager for a "real" guitar and agreed. I told him how I wanted the guitar set up and he furnished me with deminsions for his cabinets and the deal was done. In a couple of weeks I arrived home from work at my cabinet shop to find set up in my living room a beautiful D10 black mica D10 with tobacco lacquered maple front apron, a bar, picks, volume pedal, cords and a Dalton Stone Pony amp with a D130 JBL. The deal was for a guitar only. I have many other stories about Zane and how nice he treated me but will save for another time. I have several of his albums that are priceless to me. I miss him a lot still. He also was as humble and down to earth as any man I ever knew.
Jerry
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 5:20 pm     Zane Beck

I was a dealer for BMI,s and became freinds with Zane and I could not agree more about him being so nice and caring.He spent a lot of time with me on the phone exsplaining steel guitars, music and business.He use to tell me about some of his good times playing and wanted me to try his tuning.One of the most interesting was when he was backed by two big time steelers on bass and guitar and how nervous he was.I think one was Buddy Emmons and I don,t remember the other.I know I called to often and stayed on the phone to long but he always made time.I deeply regret not keeping one of the BMI,s that he sent me.My favorite was the economy model,it was a great sounding steel for the money.Sorry for the long post.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 10:07 am     Hey Jerry! How are you?

I've got the album in question and I was happy to find it available on CD now. Some may know, I am big fan of Speedy West. The reason, I bring this up, is that I seem to hear similarities or developments out of Speedy West's(slow) playing and possibly TUNING approach in ZB's playing. I think that the chordy side of his tuning was less C6th based and had more going on in the higher pitched string groups, thus his blend of "E9th" licks seems more lush and less choppy and boomy than one would expect it from a C6th or B6th standard tuning... just as we may hear on SW's F#9th (?)

... J-D.