| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Would you fix or replace a broken pickup?
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 8:59 am    

I recently won an Oahu Tonemaster on e-bay that is physically in great condition but the pickup clearly has a problem. When I plugged it in, the output was very weak and the tone is extremely muddy. I'd say that it has around half the output of all my other lap steels.

I know that it's hard to say without looking at it, but is this sort of problem usually due to a magnet issue or does rewinding usually do the trick? Someone was clearly aware of the problem because the pole pieces are really cranked up close to the strings but there still is very little output.

I see that Lollar fixes pickups and he also seems to sell one model that looks like the pickup in this instrument. I can't decide if it's better to fix it or replace it. Has anyone else run into this sort of problem?

As an aside, I'm not very happy with the e-bay sellers description of the condition right now. It's one of those situations where they say that they plugged in the lap steel and that it works. Technically, this is true, but there are serious issues. They have a "no return, as is" policy which would have been fine if they had listed it correctly. I just don't think there is any question I could have asked that would have hinted there was a problem because the seller isn't a player. The instrument "looks" great so I figured everything would be OK under the hood.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 11:04 am    

Well E-Bay is E-Bay.........But now that you have it and if you like the guitar,a Lollar rewind would be my first choice.That way it's as original/collectable as it could be and still be basically a brand new great sounding Lollar pickup. If Jason makes an exact enough replacement it might even be better. I'd give him a call and see what he recommends.You can't go wrong either way.
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 11:08 am    

I wrote to Lollar and was told that he makes an exact replacement. He also could rewind the pickup but it would take 16 to 18 weeks. I think that I will buy a replacement pickup and store the original. If I sell the instrument, I'll either have the original rewound or just include it with the guitar.
Bob Littleton

Camas, WA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 11:11 am    

I think you should get the original pickup rewound by Jason Lollar or Lindy Fralin. Both guys do excellent work!

Bob Littleton
West Coast Steel Guitar
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 11:46 am    

Jason Lollar probably builds a better pickup than what originally came in your Oahu. His work is excellent.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 12:28 pm    

Michael, I have an Oahu Tonemaster too and it had the same problem as yours. I sent the pickup to Rick Aiello,he remagged it for me and it sounds so much better now. The new pickup from Jason sounds like a good way to go but you might want to contact Rick and maybe send him the old pickup for remagging.
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 12:34 pm    

Andy Sandoval wrote:
Michael, I have an Oahu Tonemaster too and it had the same problem as yours. I sent the pickup to Rick Aiello,he remagged it for me and it sounds so much better now. The new pickup from Jason sounds like a good way to go but you might want to contact Rick and maybe send him the old pickup for remagging.

Thanks for the tip. I might shoot him an e-mail.