| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can you dye binding?
Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 6:12 am    

I just got a very nice Chandler Studio 6 lap steel.

I don't really like the MOTS binding.

The frets and position markers are on the underside of the clear plexiglass fret board so at anytime I can replace the MOTS under it or turn it over and have a white background.
I just had my spare bifocals tinted and made into a pair of sun glasses and that got me to thinking. With a brownish-orange tint I might be able to change the binding to a tortise color. Even a dark brown or black would look better. Leather dye perhaps? I don't know. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jude

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 7:12 am    

Is the material under the clear that same as the binding? If you're going to replace it maybe you can use it to exeriment with. In the past I changed a white binding to cream by using wood stain.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 8:28 am    

Jude,Yes that can be done with Rit dye,acetone,and boiling water.Here's a link to dyeing yo-yos ....these kids dye them all of the time,The best color to dye is white.The only problem is that the binding will have to come off to do it. http://www.theyo.com/yoyo/showthread.php?t=44120
Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 9:41 am    

I think I might have a handle on it. I used a couple of felt pens to color a pearl Golden Gate thumb pick. The black covers everything but the green lets the pearl show through. I'll stop at Wal-Mart and pick up some colors to play with. Keep the ideas coming folks.

Jude

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 9:47 am    

I think it looks gorgeous. Why not just trade it to somebody who likes it as-is? (don't have anything to trade right now myself)
Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 10:00 am    

David Doggett wrote:
I think it looks gorgeous. Why not just trade it to somebody who likes it as-is? (don't have anything to trade right now myself)

Ah yes, perhaps you're right. I just have a compulsion to tinker. Perhaps when this one gets here I'll be too busy too worry about binding color. Click Here

Jude

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 10:46 am    

Jude,In the early 70's I had a white mica MSA pedal steel,after a couple of weeks I decided to change the color I also used Markers and changed the color of my guitar about every two weeks.They have to be alcohol based...the real smelly ones,I also did western leather work then and used Tandy leather dyes which are alcohol based,Stu Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 11:01 am    

Unfortuantely, yes, you can dye binding. I discovered this when I had a banjo resonator refinished by an "expert", who stained the binding along with the maple, then sprayed it with clear nitro. Apparently, he didn't know you are supposed to scrape the binding to get rid of the stain.

Not sure about pearloid, but ivoroid? Definitely (I've since had it re-refinished...)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos
Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 12:20 pm    

I used shoe polish on the binding of a Les Paul. Be aware that you need to leave it on for awhile and it will not be compleate even toned. It worked on my Les Paul as I wanted to be a little uneven to be a bit more real. I would test it first on a well hidden spot. It also depends on the type of clear that was used so it is a "try and see" method.
Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 12:20 pm    

I used shoe polish on the binding of a Les Paul. Be aware that you need to leave it on for awhile and it will not be compleate even toned. It worked on my Les Paul as I wanted to be a little uneven to be a bit more real. I would test it first on a well hidden spot. It also depends on the type of clear that was used so it is a "try and see" method.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 12:31 pm    

I work on and build instruments. You are opening up a can of worms. The MOTS binding as it is will look better than any thing you do when you either remove the binding and screw up the finish or try to dye it and screw up the finish. I have never heard of anyone doing anything like this in the 40 years I have worked on guitars. This is not worth it.
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 12:13 pm     Re: Can you dye binding?

Jude Reinhardt wrote:
I just had my spare bifocals tinted and made into a pair of sun glasses and that got me to thinking.

Jude, why not just have several pair of glasses tinted in different colors? Then, when you want to 'change' the color of the binding and fretboard, you just put on different glasses.

Rolling Eyes
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 2:37 pm    

If you do the green on mahogany thing it'll look kinda like a L&H Shrine uke: