| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right Hand Technique
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 8:58 am    

OK, I confess, I'm a slightly reformed idiot banjo player. Historically, while butchering music with my Dobro (Registered Trademark of a Dubious Bunch), I planted two fingers on the top of the guitar, and the side of my palm flat on the bridge cover.

Having seen the light, I now recognize that you can make a lot less overlapping annoying noise with palm blocking. No problem, now I can position my hand for the reso just the way I do on my electric steels.

Until I try to play standing up. No place to anchor the right hand, and the right hand bounce involved in palm blocking turns the reso into a moving target.
Found that I was instinctively anchoring the heel of my hand on the near side of the body away from the strings.

I had thought about putting a 1-2" rest on the near side of the body, but surely there's a little more "organic" solution?

What would Mike Auldridge do?

KP
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 10:28 am    

Did you try tucking your right arm under the strap? That would seem to give you a bit of stability and anchoring.

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 11:03 am    

Yup, I did, and you're 100% correct, it helps stabilize the axe. And it makes harmonics really hard.

KP
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2008 10:51 am     Help on String Gauges

I need to know the what Gauge Strings I need for my Lap Steel and also for my Resenator I did not say Dobro as I stand corrected.On my Lap Steel I use a A tuning and Resenator it is D B G D B G.All help will be appreciated.
Samn White
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 11:47 am    

Samn, can you say "non sequitur?"

Further, however to the topic, I broke down and watched some footage of Cindy Cashdollar (what would Cindy do?), who appears to anchor one or two fingers (small and ring) on the FAR side of the cover plate. Turns out this works much better than dropping your wrist to anchor on the near side.

The bad news is it's actually very much like right hand technique for banjo.

KP
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 4:34 pm    

Back when I played a
non-pedal 3-neck steel during the fourties and fifties, I got many differen't tonal effects by picking the strings at various positions on the fret board between the pick-ups and where I was positioning the bar. If you anchor your right hand at the pick-ups you get the same tone unless you change your Amp settings (this was just my personal experience).
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 6:00 pm    

Back when I played a
non-pedal 3-neck steel during the fourties and fifties, I got many differen't tonal effects by picking the strings at various positions on the fret board between the pick-ups and where I was positioning the bar. If you anchor your right hand at the pick-ups you get the same tone unless you change your Amp settings (this was just my personal experience).