| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Breedlove Weissenborn - w/ fretable bass notes!
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 6:09 pm    

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/gallery/weissenborn.php

Wild concept. Can't quite picture this in action but Ed is a player of poetic sensibilites and much technical ability so I'm looking forward to seeing a youtube video of this one in action!

Is there any other instrument that has had so many variations ....from the inspired and sublime, to the wacky, to the just plain stupid as the lap steel? It brings everyone's inner Edison out of the closet.
Terry Farmer

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 6:19 pm    

Hmmmmmmm.....interesting! I love to see unusual applications of our beloved instrument. Inventive minds are priceless. It will be interesting to see how the player manages fretting and bar movement at the same time. I'm intrigued!
Don Fox

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2008 6:43 pm    

I got to play Ed's W prototype last summer in San Francisco. Different from the one on the Breedlove website, in that the raised frets under bass strings were actually slanted to account for intonation on the prototype. It was a fantastic sounding instrument (at least when HE played it). Action was a little lower than most Weissenborn style guitars. I know Ed posts here sometimes. Are you out there? Give us the scoop!
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 10:50 am    

I asked about this and posted pix in the NAMM thread. Ed was one of Breedlove's demonstrators, and I think he played that one on the gallery. I wonder if he made use of the frets?

They were apparently showing "regular" Hawaiian guitars at the show, with at least one being groped by a celebrity. Smile
Don Fox

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 11:35 am    

Not sure there's a big market for useable frets on a Weissenborn style guitar, although they are a nice cosmetic touch on some resos and lap style instruments. I have most of Ed's CD's, and one of his songbooks - only know of one song where even he uses frets ("Shallow Brown", I think), and just one fretted note at that. Do many Weissenborn players out there wish they could fret behind the bar? (That said, I've got to have me one of those Breedloves!)
Chris Drew

Bristol, UK
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 12:18 pm    

It's certainly interesting, but frets on a Weiss don't appeal to me, & the bridge's looks arent my thing...
One thing's for sure, Ed will make it sound sweet!

Does anyone know if it has one of those "bridge-doctor" things in it?
Breedlove like using those in new guitars, right?
Anyone here played a guitar with one?
Don Fox

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 1:24 pm    

Ed's prototype didn't appear to have the adjustable bridge support that Breedlove puts into their regular acoustic guitars. The thing was light as a feather. I have a Breedlove Fusion - no discernable negative effects. In fact, it's a tone monster.
Chris Drew

Bristol, UK
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 1:57 pm    

So what's the theory behind how the bridge-doctor works?
I can see it as a way to rescue a bellied top, but how come it doesn't just kill the sound of the guitar?

Oops, scratch that, just found this: JLD...