| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taylor Swift - Country Star?
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 1:04 pm    

I just saw Taylor Swift on Ellen and she was introduced as up coming "country" star. Realizing this is the first time I've ever heard of her and the I only heard one song, can this be true??

I never saw any country female singers shuck and jive like that. Of course not having a pedal steel didn't help anything.

I didn't mind the booty bumpin' with the girl fiddle player though.

Flame me if you have to.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 1:51 pm    

...her latest single has been #1 in Billboard for a month or two...

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 1:55 pm    

I'll stick to Miss Leslie, Amber Digby and Dottie Jack... Smile

Kind Regards, Walter

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 3:06 pm    

I think some 'new stars' and some of the people that have been around a while but that show up frequently on show such as Letterman, Leno, etc., pay for their appearance just as some opening bands pay for the opening position for established stars.

There may be forum members that work in the industry and can confirm this or shoot me down.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2008 2:49 am    

Taylor has been on the scene for well over a year now. She penned several songs a few years back and she has had two or three on regular air play rotation for most of 2007. Sure, she may not be like Loretta or Patsy but she does bring something a bit different to the table. I think she is pretty good, she wrote a bunch of songs when she was 16 and even she admits today that they are a bit "young" in lyric content. She's a good little writer and singer, if she sticks to her own simple style and approach there will be a place for her on the scene.

At 18, shes on the charts with her own written songs,regardless of how we view it, that is an accomplishment these days.

I wouldn't think she pays to be on any shows, I think she has earned her spot in front of the camera with CD sales. She has been on the Opry a few times and she is a spotlight artist on Rhapsody . She just doesn't get the notoriety that Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert gets. ( yet )
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2008 6:22 am    

CRAPOLA!

RoBo

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2008 7:02 am     Re: Taylor Swift - Country Star?

Jim Eller wrote:
Of course not having a pedal steel didn't help anything.

And you won't see one. 25 and older is too old for her band, according to management. I don't know any 20 year old steel players.

In her defense, she's a sweet kid. She and my daughter went to school together, and they're friends. Nice kid that gets picked on a lot by her peers.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2008 8:16 am    

Let the flames begin but I think she's incredibly talented as a writer. I don't know that she's any more or less country than anything else on the radio today. (That's a discussion in itself, obviously.)

The material on the CD is indeed fairly 'young' for the most part but <i>she's</i> young! Given that, I happen to think she's done something pretty remarkable which is to write and co-write songs that totally paint a chunk of what it's like to be a teen.

The songs are admittedly all either perky or whistful, but that may have as much to do with what the label allowed on the album as what she writes - I have no idea. From the couple of interviews I've heard with her, I think she probably has a far greater range in her. She certainly comes off as bright, well-spoken, and informed about the real world, all unlike far too many folks on the radio these days of any age.

I've always felt that the measure of great writing isn't whether or not you like what you read/hear but, instead, whether or not it transports you into a certain mood or story. Most of her songs do both awfully well, especially for someone as young as she was when she wrote these songs. I'll be interested to hear what she has to say as she gets older and has a wider range of experiences under her belt.

And by the way, before there's too much belly-aching about the absence of steel guitar in her band, at least there's steel and/or dobro and fiddle on pretty much every track of the album even if it's not always in your face. There are certainly a whole lot of 'countrier' artists out there who can't claim the same.

Last edited by Chris Bauer on 19 Jan 2008 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2008 8:20 am    

Can't blame a kid for following her dream. As far as lyrical content, it sounds like a young girl's diary entries, rather sophomoric IMO. What else can you expect from a generatiion that thinks country music began with Tim McGraw Question [Title of her first hit, I believe]. Music that appeals to 14 yr. old girls, but that's OK too.

This is the stuff that top 40 so called "new country" is made of. It's the young demographic they seek and that ain't most of us Exclamation
Blame the industry for the state of broadcast music, not the artist.

I'm sure she is a nice kid and I wish her well in her career. It's just not music that would appeal much to a more adult audience such as represented here on the forum.
Pedal steel, no but there is a smidge of dobro. Anyhow, pedal steel does not a country record make.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2008 9:36 am    

I think calling her an "incredibly talented writer" is a stretch...incredibly lucky would be a better description and here is nothing wrong with that.
While Taylors' songs are not my cup of tea, I can appreciate where she is coming from as I have a 14 year old daughter.
Whoever the marketing people were that had her personalize the "Tim McGraw" tune to include the local radio stations call letters had a streak of brilliance and derserves plenty of credit for breaking this young artist.
She is appealing to a very young female demographic and image is everything so don't expect to see an over 25 YO picker in her band.
After listening to her first cd , I can see what the little girls like about her tunes but they all sound pretty much the same.
At 18 we should probably give her a little time to mature as both a writer and singer. I mean ... how many hit records have we written?
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net