| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  When did the pro111 start?
John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2007 5:50 pm    

When did Sho-Bud come out with the pro3? And which were the most depenable mechanicaly? J.C.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2007 7:06 pm    

The Pro III was introduced in 1975. The Pro II mechanics was the most reliable, by most folk's thinking. It was the barrels behind two hole pullers. Hope this helps! Wink
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2007 9:12 pm    

I thought the only difference in the Pro II and III. Were the necks? Help me out here James. Smile
James Morehead

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 5:41 am    

Your right, Bobby, but there is more. The Pro II was a double raise/single lower. The Pro III is a double raise/double lower. Also, the Pro III marked the introduction of the squarefront era--the Pro Custom series. With the Pro custom era, came the super-pro pot metal mechanism. There was always transitional periods with shobud, and they would tend to use up left over parts on some of the next coming models. So Generally, the Pro III was the super pro pot metal mechanism.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 8:10 am    

Thanks James. I needed to know that. I had been told. That the PII and PIII were exacly the same except the PIII had aluminum necks.OK the differences in the ProII and ProII custom were..ProII customs had the square front and the pot metal?? Right...............THanks .......bb
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 8:37 am    

Bobby,

From what I've been told and have read, the first "Customs" ('75-'76) had brass swivels and two-hole pullers in the undercarriage. In '77, they switched to a pot metal undercarriage with the 4-hole pullers and rod clips, as well as hex cross shafts when they introduced the Super Pro guitar. Like all things Sho~Bud, there are exceptions. But I've seen several Pro II Customs with the earlier, pre-Superpro mehcanism.

My '76 Pro 1 has the brass swivel/two-hole puller mechanism, but I think it has a pot metal changer. It also came with narrow foot pedals. So it was definitely transition time during '76.

Here's an excerpt from the Sho~Bud site, which explains the undercarriage transition in 1977:

SUPER PRO
"In 1977, the Super Pro was introduced. It was standard as a double wood or metal neck, with 8 pedals and 6 knee levers. This model and the Fender/ShoBud was very similar in design except for the body and the key head. The Super Pro had a streamlined-smaller and thinner body design then the Sho-Bud models of the past. Also, the undercarriage pretty much the same as the Fender/Sho-Bud model, was very different then the past Sho-Bud models. The cross rods on the past models were round. On the Super Pro they were hex shaped. The bell cranks and pedal rods were also of a new design. Small metal tuning rod clips were used to hold the tuning rods onto the bell crank. The floor pedals on the Super Pro were small narrow pedals that had a very different look then the past wide pedal design. The knee lever design changed as well, to a straight narrow lever. The tuning key head was square and blunt on the end instead of the old standard tear drop key head of the past. Clearly, Sho-Bud had a new pedal steel. This new undercarriage design was very popular. After the introduction of the Super Pro, the undercarriage designs of the Pro-Series and the LDG pedal steels changed to the Super Pro style."
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 9:16 am    

I don't know for sure what year it is, but my round front Pro-II has two hole pullers with the barrels, and the infinite raise/lower changer.
John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 9:32 am     Pro3

Is there anything I should look for when looking at these? If I'm not mistaking, the newest ones are over 20yrs old and problably have a lot of wear. J.C.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 9:34 am    

My Pro 111 square front has triple raise & double lower, and not a bit of pot metal to be seen (thankfully).
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 10:07 am    

There was another important difference between the ProII and ProIII models. The changers were mounted to the body in a different manner on the III's, and from everything I've heard, this really accounted for the difference in sound between the II's and III's...more so than the metal vs. wood necks. The same applies for the metal vs. wood necked SuperPros.
James Morehead

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 10:14 am    

DANG Chris, remind me to put you on my payroll!!

Ken, If you have the brass rollers and round cross shafts, your safe. If you have the hexagon cross rods and straight knees---weeelllll, don't throw those knees to hard!
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 11:53 am    

I'm learning from the best, James!
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 12:13 pm    

http://www.telusplanet.net/~gsimmons/shobud/models.html

Here is an oft quoted link but, may help a little.
Love them Buds!!

Click on the pic Smile

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 3:10 pm    

Any original changer finger that has the slot instead of the pin to hold the ball end is pot metal.

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 3:41 pm    

At the time those came out everyone already new how bad pot metal performed tensil wise.This was a mass production ploy that came back to haunt them.I am working on one right now that has broken knees and cranks cracked all over it.
John Coop

YORKTOWN, IND. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 7:01 pm    

Bob Cox...If you are going to the Dallas Show this year, the father of that little "Dog & Pony" show is supposed to be there. You could ask him...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING ? Coop[/b]
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 10:08 am    

James
I am pre pot metal with my Pro111, and pot metal with my LDG. Yes I am very light when hitting the levers on the LDG!! Smile
Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 2:41 am    

James Morehead wrote:
Your right, Bobby, but there is more. The Pro II was a double raise/single lower. The Pro III is a double raise/double lower. Also, the Pro III marked the introduction of the squarefront era
there might be exceptions

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 9:47 am    

Is that a round-front ProIII? I don't think I've ever seen one before. I've heard that there are a few out there, but every ProIII I've seen has a square front.
Even more rare...what about a round-front ProIII that doesn't have "custom" on the decal?
Cool gtr, Jack.
John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 10:43 am     PRO 3

Mabey somone could tell us what year and how many were built. I always thought there were some round front ones but, never thought I'd see one. Surprised
J.C.
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 1:18 pm    

John I think Waymon has a round Pro III....I am not sure...will see tonight! Smile

Brandon