| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taking them off 10 OR 12 ?
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 4:13 pm    

I just got a 12 string MSA and I was thingking of taking the first and last sting off.I would then put the standard EMMONS set up starting at the secound place. My friend, a real good player who teaches me sometimes, says i`ll get used to it.But he plays a D10 show-bud and can`t show me anything for the last two string`s . I can`t afford another one .I also find that i can`t see the fret`s on the last string anyway. Any thoughts Confused We just put the pedal`s back to ABC, as the previous owner play`ed the DAY set up. Open to all thoughts. Rolling Eyes
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 4:45 pm    

There would probably be a lot less labor involved in just removing strings 11 and 12.
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 6:24 pm    

I was thinking of trying that first. But just wondering if it would be worth the effort.Thanks for the reply Lee Smile
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 6:39 pm    

If you remove string 1 and 12 you will have to move every pull on the guitar up one string. That is provided you have a normal 12 string E 9th set up with F# on the 1 st string. This is a major job. Just remove the lower 2 strings is easier by far.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 6:41 pm    

Lotta guys would love to have a 12. Trade it even up for a 10, and you'll both be happy.
Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 6:44 pm    

I just took off strings 11 and 12 on my Rus-Ler Works fine for me.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 6:48 pm    

Seems a shame to waste that 12-string. If you really don't want 12 strings, why don't you go to the buy-and-sale section and try to trade with someone who wants to move from 10-string to 12-string?

If you keep it, seems like you should leave all the strings on there tuned to extended E9, and just ignore the bottom two. Later, after you are comfortable with the top 10, you may find some things to do with the bottom two. They are not very useful for traditional E9 country, but are very useful for jazz, blues, rock, and classical.

If you must take two strings off, take off the bottom two. If you take off the outside two, you will have to shift the entire copedent over a string, a pretty big task. Then, if you decide to sell it later, you will have to move everything back to make it a conventional 12-string. If you remove the bottom two, all you have to do later to sell it is to put those two strings back on.

The thing about not being able to see the frets on the top string is a non-issue. It's that way with all steel guitars that are strung properly with no strings missing.
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 7:11 pm    

Thanks for all youre replies. If I wasn`t so far away,I`d probably try to trade both my MSA and my old LINKON D12 for a SHO-BUD LDG or something familiar s10,but the shipping would be a killer.I`ll start off by taking out the last two string`s.Thank`s to all. Smile
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 8:54 pm    

I say leave them on and learn to use them.
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 3:03 am    

I guess I should have been more clear as I agree with the rest and would just leave them on,but in answering your question it is easier by far to just remove the lower 2. If the one helping you is playing a standard 10 string just ignore the bottom 2 and work with the top 10 strings. It should work and you will find uses for the lower strings.
Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 6:11 am    

Whats the most common tuneing for the strings 11 and
12...any raises/lowers???? (standard E9)
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 8:21 am    

I borrowed a S-12 from Sierra for a few weeks (many years back).

I put some pattern dye (blue) on strings 11 ad 12. It was easier to see the old 10 string pattern (all silver strings), with which I was more familiar, as well as, utilize the extended range strings.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 9:18 am    

If it's currently set up universal, you could put an Extended E9 copedent on it. For example, one of these:

http://b0b.com/tunings/ebovine.html

Then strings 1-10 are exactly the same as the standard E9 copedent, and you have two lower strings that you can grow into. You don't have to play them, but they're there if you want them in the future. I can't see any reason to take off strings if you go this way - especially if you are just starting out, you'll get used to whatever you learn now.

Of course, myself, I would leave it as a universal if it's already that way.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 9:27 am    

I play extended E9th too. There are lots of uses for the low G# and E strings. You really only need one pedal change on the low strings (G# to A on your 2nd pedal).

The low strings of extended E9th are very logical. They are the same as the higher strings, just an octave lower. It doesn't take long to get used to them.

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 11:20 am    

I fully agree with Mike. Just leave the strings on there. What is the difference if they are on or off. And I also agree with the suggestions of trading someone for a 10 string. Why have something you don't want, and someone else might be tickled to have a 12. Good luck

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 1:05 pm    

Carl Heatley wrote:
Whats the most common tuneing for the strings 11 and
12...any raises/lowers???? (standard E9)

There are 2 options. Extended E9, and a universal. For the extended E9, you simply add an E and G# strings, and as Bobby said, a pull on the G# string to raise it to A.

On a E9/B6 universal, you need to remove the 9th string, move the 10th up to where the 9 was, and add a low B, then the E and G# strings in slots 12, 11, and 10 respectively.

In addition to the G# to A raise, I also drop the 11th string (E) to C# twice, once on the E-F raise, and again on a separate knee lever, and I also drop the 12th string (low B) to A on the A pedal.

These changes give me bass notes for the A, C# and C# minor chord positions.
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 2:51 pm    

Thank-you all for youre good ideas. Like I said I`m fairly new (2-3 years), and on my old LINKON I just took out the two lower strings and moved the plastic fret board and it was OK,but I thought this being a better (newer) steel I put it like a 10 string. I told my wife "This is the last one I`ll owne" but if I don`t get use to it we`ll see Winking Once again thank you all.
Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 7:40 pm    

Why don't you use the the E and F lever to Lower and raise string 12 the bottom E just like 4 and 8?
I have been hacking around on a 12 stringer lately.
Seems to me these changes would be useful.
I do have the pull on string 11 B pedal raising G# to A.
I sure would like to have the F lever on 12 raising the E to F
IS This a bad idea?????? Confused Confused Confused

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 8:55 pm    

Patrick Carlson wrote:
I sure would like to have the F lever on 12 raising the E to F
IS This a bad idea?????? Confused Confused Confused

Some people do that. Some leave it at E to get that great 7b9 chord. Myself, I followed Winnie Winston's lead and lowered E to C#. This gives me the low root tone in the major F lever positions.

My point is that the only change you really need on those low strings is the 11th string G# to A. All the rest is gravy. The low strings of extended E9th are not complicated.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 2:49 am     12 string

AFTER READING,HOW T BRUMLEY ADDED A LOW E FOR 11 STRINGS, I UNDER STOOD, & WOULDN'T MIND HAVING THAT AVAILABLE TO ME,THE STORY IS IN JAN 1980 STEEL GUITARIST MAG. BILL

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 5:54 am    

Hi there David.....if you really want to change guitars I have a black Carter SD10 4 x 5 (PF in pos.0 )..in excellent condition .I would love to have an MSA 12 U....not far between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia if you`re interested Smile

Just a thought for ya mon ami .Smile

Carter SD10 4x5 with Wallace TrueTone ( 18K ohms)
Peavey NV 112
Hilton Vol.Ped.
Brad Sarno 'Freeloader'
Boss/Roland SE-20 Space Echo
BJS `Hughey` bar
BJS 1" bar
Zookie thumbpicks
Dunlop and JN finger picks
Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 6:49 am    

Well...If anybody is looking for a 12 string,I may be interested in trading my Russ-ler for a MSA or
sho bud S10/D10 or similar.
I'll also list it under Instruments for sale.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 7:07 am    

David, if you really only want 10 strings, you should seriously consider Glyn's offer for a trade. You've got a little more guitar than he does, so maybe he could pay your shipping costs to even things up and make it worth your while to ship. But actually you never said whether your 12-string is an extended E9, with 3 pedals, or a universal, with 6 or more pedals.

If you decide to keep yours, and you only want 10 strings, you are probably better off taking off the two lower strings, or tuning them as extended E9 (11th string low G#, 12th string low E). I am a universal advocate, but not necessarily for those who really only want 10 strings, which is very adequate for traditional country. A universal tuning would be a much bigger shift for you, and we don't know if your guitar has all the pedals and levers you would need.

As for putting changes on the low strings, for ext. E9, I don't see why one wouldn't want to put the same changes on them as the strings an octave above, or alternatively, something like b0b describes. If you don't put pedals or levers on them, you are missing half the fun. However, on a universal one would not want to put the E lower on the low E. One gets the C6 equivalent of B6 tuning by activating the E-lower lever. But if it also lowers the low E, that looses the low 4th and basically destroys the root of the E M7, 9 tuning that is the equivalent of the essential F M7,9 part of the C6 tuning.

Last edited by David Doggett on 8 Jan 2008 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 8:47 am    

DD, just to elaborate: I'm not a U-12 player, but I've been playing extended E9th for 30 years. I find that in 90% of my low string playing, I only need one change down there (G# to A). I have two lowers on my E string (to D and C#) that I use for power chords and not much else. I removed the F lever lower (to C#) for a few months once because I needed the parts for something, and I barely missed it.

Yes, adding changes is part of the fun once you understand the tuning. My point is that, for a beginner like David, the low strings don't have to be intimidating. There's hardly anything to "learn" about them that isn't just a low octave of what you learn on the higher strings.

The biggest plus is having a low root tone A on the 11th string to hook your thumb on when the pedals are down. That's the single most important aspect of the extended E9th when playing country steel, IMHO.

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 6:44 pm    

Thank you all for youre coments.David D ,I have a Black MSA S 12 classic 4 Knees-5 Pedals,standard EMONS tuning . Nothing on pedal 4 and 5 yet.Glyn I`m gonna give it a try without the lower strings first and see.If by chance you come to moncton let me know . Smile