| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Parts for Shobud
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 6:13 am    

I've just picked up this Shobud steel. I really don't know that much about Shobuds. My buddy Shakey tells me it's a Pro 1. Could anyone tell me a few more details about it (pictures posted below), perhaps the year? I believe it's in original condition and suspect it's not been played much. I would like to add some extra knee levers, but would like to use original parts. Could anyone point me the direct for sourcing the parts I need?

Cheers, Mark
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 7:57 am    

it's a Pro I Mark
someone can tell you the year better than i
probably mid 70s
for Sho~Bud parts, look up John Coop here on the Fo'......Bro'
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 8:02 am    

Mark, you got a good 'un! Mid-70's. Love that sized shelf. Poifect! Get in touch with John Coop for knee lever kits.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 6:13 pm    

Nice one Mark!

Parts are available from a couple of sources. You can find some good original used parts from Bobbe Seymour or Marrs Music. New repro stuff from John Coop. It kinda depends on what you need......
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 10:07 pm    

I can't see a ProI decal, so I'm gonna say it's a 6139, from around 1975-76.
The 6139 was different from the ProI in that it came from the factory with only 1 KL and was minus the ProI decal.
This one has the wide pedals, gumby headstock, 2-hole pullers w/o barrels, no t/v knobs or tap switch on the rear shelf, the p/u doesn't have those metal shaft thingys at the ends...and pre pot metal.
Mid '70's is my call. Very nice.
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 1:11 am    

I have an 81 Pro 1, Model 6148. It is similar to yours. Mine is all stock, 3 foot pedals and 2 knee levers. It has a pro 1 decal. Also, there is a paper sticker on the underside that dates it and gives the model number. My guitar was inspected by Duane Marrs. The under carriage parts look the same. You can also try Tom Bradshaw for parts. Just google him and you will get his web site.

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 2:16 am    

Thanks for the replies chaps. The number stamped on the wood and endplate reads 9847, if that helps.
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 2:19 am    

Skip, it doesn't have Pro 1 marked on it anywhere.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 4:12 am     Re: Parts for Shobud

Hi Mark, That's a mid 70's 'Bud for sure, same as my S-12 universal....tear drop levers, and big pedals. From the picture, it looks like a double raise/single lower?? if so it's the same as mine, and they are good changes, ask Ricky Davis. It looks like you have the "dust catcher" fretboard, they can always be changed to the earlier type by people like John Coop. Regards the new levers etc, if contacting the States is too much an issue, I know someone in England (not too far from you) who made identical parts for my 'Bud when I converted it to a full universal. If you like e'mail me and I'll forward you his phone number. Nice guitar...cherish it Smile

Micky Byrne United Kingdom www.mickybyrne

Carter and Sho-Bud Universals, Peavey and Evans amps
Tom Higgins

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 5:59 am     Bud

I don`t know why you would want to change fretboards,the one you have is more accurately intonated than the older ones,and looks better,too,IMHO.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 6:25 am     Re: Bud

Tom it wasn't Mark's suggestion about the fret board, it's just that some people I know who have had the "raised" fretboards said it used to attract dust and "some" had prefered to change theirs. Mine is the "flat" earlier type.

Micky Byrne
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:24 am    

Wide pedals, teardrops, but with a square-front cab. I tried zooming in on the pic of the changer underside. I see only two wires, one red, one black, but there appears to be something under the springs. When I got my guitar, there was no coil-tap switch. I asked Ricky about getting a coil-tapped pup. He asked me to look again. Sure enough, there was a white wire, unconnected, and taped with black tape, tucked under the springs. Ricky put in a tap switch, and Voila!

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:52 am    

Lovely Axe John......drool.. drool.. drool Smile

Micky Byrne United Kingdom
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 1:28 am    

As Micky said, that's lovely. John, do you have any pictures of the underside, it would be helpful to me to see the position your knee levers are located and get an idea of parts required.

Does the tap switch add a useful sound?

Micky, I'll email you.

Thanks once again folks for the replies.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 10:02 am    

The coil-tap provides a somewhat "thinner" sound. I think Shobud was tryin' to get that Fendery West Coast sound with the switch. Didja look to see if there's another wire taped up and tucked under the springs? That's where mine was.
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 11:20 am    

That looks a stunning piece of work. Who refurbished that guitar?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 11:31 am    

Ricky Davis with parts from John Coop. It was in very excellent, virtually un-played condition when I got it. I was a 3 pedal, 1 knee lever guitar, with no coil tap switch. Very much like yours, but a "round-front." I was used to playing a Kline U-12, and wanted to have the Kline's knee lever set-up. So Ricky added 5 more knees. Didja look for that other wire? I'm thinkin' it's there!

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 11:42 am    

Thanks Micky and Mark. Stands as a testament to Ricky and John's abilities doesn't it?
Mark, here's a pic of the changer end. You can see the coil-tap switch that Ricky added. I keep buggin' you to look for that wire because at the time my guitar was made, they were using the same pickups in all guitars. Just that on the least expensive models, like ours, with just the most basic peds and knees, they only hooked up one pickup wire. But both the hot wires were still coming off the pickup. It wasn't cost effective to make two different pickups. A coil tapped pup will have three wires, a red, a black, and a white. The white wire was taped, and tucked on mine. I was delighted to find it!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 11:49 am    

BTW, about the coil-tap sound. My favorite way to use it is to put a Boss Line Switcher after the volume pedal and send the full pickup sound to channel 2 of my Twin, and the "tapped" sound to channel 1. That way I can eq the amp a bit differently for each sound. My Twin has been modded, and has reverb on both channels.
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 12:09 pm    

Thanks for all the pictures John, that will be a real help. I can't get to the guitar at the moment, it's in the kids bedroom cupboard and they're in bed, but I'll have a look tommorrow. Ricky and John Coop really did make an excellent job of it.

Cheers John
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 12:11 pm    

I think you're gonna have a HAPPY NEW YEAR Mark!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 5:02 pm    

Dirtguy Jerry! hey I tried to reply to your email. They keep comin' back as undeliverable, fatal address flaws. Tried 4 different ways. Post your question on a thread, and some one will answer.
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 4:00 am    

Hi John,

I just had a look for that white wire. It definitely doesn't appear through the hole in the body. It might be hidden under the pickup. If I find it I'll let you know.

Mark
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 6:57 am    

Mark; your ShoBud does not have a coil tap.
ricky
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 7:01 am    

Thanks for settlin' that Ricky. I knew his was newer than mine, but 'cause of the wide pedals, I wasn't sure just how much newer!