| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rhode Island Steel Show A Succes
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2001 6:18 pm    

The R.I. Steel Guitar Association Steel Show was a great show.We wish to thank Doug Beaumier, Sam Gibbson, Frank Caruso,Merle Records,Chip Fossa,and all the other Steel players that traveled all that distance to listen to all the great players we had.Hope we can do it all over next year.
President Sam White
Harry Teachman

South Dartmouth,Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2001 6:58 pm    

Hey Sam,
You beat me to the forum! I agree, it was a good time. Got to meet Doug Beaumier, GREAT STUFF Doug! Those patriotic songs had some nice chordal changes in them! Sam Gibsons' set was also great. A friend who is a keyboardist and hasn't played steel in a few years loved that sound he got.And Sam White opened the show with "The Star Spangled Banner", good stuff Sam!

I think Lenny Amaral did one heck of a job doing the MC duties, everything moved along smoothly! Seems Lenny may have found a new career! And Tony Palmer, besides performing, was busy scheduling and rescheduling everyone! GOOD job, guys!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Manny Escobars' set, I had to step out to grab something to eat for my wife and myself. Did Wille Nelson do any patriotic songs this year, Manny?

Well, here's looking to next years show!

Harry
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 5:31 am    

Thank you Harry and I do have to say you done a fantastic job and I'm sorry to say that is the first time I heard you play.I will be at one of your gigs very soon and keep on steelin and I'll do the same.
Sam White
Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 7:49 am    

Very good show! Nice MC work. And the whole event was well organized. Someday, Sam, you've gotta teach the music world how that's done!!

Kudos also to my old friend, Eddy Cunningham, and especially to Mike Ihde.
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 8:02 am    

Let me add my thanks to Sam and Anna White. Sam said it best "I'm doing this for all you guys" and that pretty much sums it up. (Sam heads our non-profit org. RI Steel Guitar Assoc.)
This was a show FOR the steel players and for those who enjoy listening to their music. We enjoy playing for people who enjoy steel!
We had 15 steel players perform, exposing the audience to a wide variety in styles.
We heard everything from Hawaiin lap steel, swing, blues and lots and lots of country.
Thanks to those who travelled a great distance to perform and attend.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 8:10 am    

My thanks to you Bill and you have a fine year and hopefuly we can do it all over next year.Also my Wife Anna and myself wish to thank you Tony for your kind words and the support you are giving us and I can not for get Lenny Amaral the MC great job guys
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 24 September 2001 at 09:11 AM.]

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 11:03 am    

We heard some great steel guitar music yesterday and it was very enjoyable. Thanks to all who attended and participated in the event. A special thanks to the back up band,
Elaine Ellis on Bass & vocals, Dick Silva on lead guitar and Jimmy Cordiero on drums who played all afternoon with only a few short breaks.
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 12:31 pm    

Hey Gang,
Here's my $.02. I said this once this year
after the great Lee, MA Bash, and I'll say it again.

All my fellow steelers just seem to keep on getting better every next-time-around when the steel shows go down.
What's going on here? {GRIN} AGE=BETTERNESS??

The music played covered just about any kind of music you could think of,with the exception maybe of classical, reggae, and rap.

I dragged to the show [they actually did the driving] a recently-developed business partner and his wife. We haven't known each other for any length of time and I was at there house visiting on Friday night.
{I was looking for someone to con into driving down to RI, as my 2 trucks I wouldn't chance on driving 1/2 the distance.

So I says to them, if you're not doing anything this Sunday and would like to hear some incredible music, drive us down to RI.
I'll pay the way. They were more than eager
to go, and they know I play steel and here me talk all the time about it and music in general; and they are very curious and interested in the steel, and how it really works. The wife plays clarinet, so when I started explaing the levers/knees and how they function, she really thought how cool that is. And this comes from a gal who plays a melodic instrument.
I give her a lot of credit.

They had a ball and really got off on how diversified the steel CAN be. I kept telling them about how the steel carries that 'country-twang' stigma, etc. I said, just wait to what you're gonna hear. I told them, that,
just about any music style you can think of, and even ones you can't think of, has [already] been played on the steel guitar.

Great show, again, everyone; Special thanks to Sam and Anna White [sorry Sam, about that
bunch of crapola that was dished out to you
at the last minute, by you-know-who. That was, and still is, a raw deal, for sure.

Chip

[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 24 September 2001 at 01:33 PM.]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 1:14 pm    

What pleases me is to see that Sammy Gibson got the credit he deserves. Here is a man that got up first at the Mass bash before people had arrived to fill the place, The man is one of the best all around players whether it be for his picking or his charactor. Sammy is a great musician that does not get the credit he deserves. I and a lot of my friends know what versitility this man has and his all out effort to make a front man sound better(me) than he may be. Sammy who ever the hell he is and he wears a T shirt that says who the hell is Sammy Gibson. Well most of us who know good musicians know who this man is.He is a class act end of story.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 24 September 2001 at 02:15 PM.]

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 2:54 pm    

Joe.
That sure is a big DITTO!Sam and I worked together for a time, and he did some recording with me, and he always gave 110%! He also has my admiration for sticking to his guns when it comes to his ideals, and opinions.
Leigh
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 4:54 pm    

Sam, Congratulations on another fine show. You often refer to this year`s show as the 3rd annual; but keep in mind that Sam has run a total of 5 shows. His first was at Memories in Johnston R.I. The second one took place at the Venetion(sp.?) Garden in Warwick R.I.; and the last 3 were at the American Legion in N. Kingstown R.I. Thank you for a fun time, and thanks again for not making me play first.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 7:19 pm    

Thank you Sam, Len, Tony, Manny, and everyone at the RI PSG Association. I had a great time playing on the show and you all made me feel very welcome. Harry thanks for the kind words. The show went very smoothly and the crowd was really appreciative. I heard some mighty fine picking and met a lot of nice folks.

Leigh and Joe... here's a blast from the past... Gil Vieu was there! Remember him?

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 11:28 pm    

I just posted tab for America The Beautiful in the TABLATURE section. It's the same arrangement that I played at the Rhode Island show. To see it click here

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2001 6:15 am    

Thank you very much Doug Beaumier for comming to The R.I.Steel Show.Your tab work and your Playing are excellent keep up the great work.Hope to see you at Frank Caruso's Steel Show in Waltham Mass. and at the Norwalk Steel Guitar Convention. Also thank you for your gtreat comments on our Steel Show. It is a lot of work putting them together as you know when you helped Bill Hankey with the Mass. Bash. Keep on steeling and I'll do the same.
Sam White
SteveTodd

Manchester, CT, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2001 1:16 pm    

Sam, Tony, Len, Manny, Elaine, -
The RI Show was a lot of fun, thanks to you and all of the others who worked so hard to make it a success ! I really enjoyed playing at the show and look forward to playing again.

Steve