| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  a volume pedal with spring inside for resistance?
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2007 5:56 pm    

Alan, only thing is, when your using a volume pedal, between your amp and instrument, if the pedal comes back up, your volume drops off with it.Very Happy
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2007 6:59 pm    

Jacek, having a spring in the volume pedal isn't preferred by most steelers. However, it's not exactly rocket science to install one. If you prefer a spring-return on your pedal, anyone with even rudimentary mechanical experience can accommodate you.
Kip Duff

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 7:11 am    

As a newby, I too think I could benefit from a volume pedal that's spring loaded and returns to off. I've looked at the literature for the Hiltons. I like that you can set your off position volume. And the adjustable friction/dampening feature seems nice idea. But I don't see anything that says the Hiltons have this type of spring return ability in their stock form. They claim better sound quality due to electronic volume modulation- but separate power supply is a bummer.

The Goodrich 120 comes standard with spring loading that returns to off? Can the off volume be adjusted? Any other pedals with spring loading other than Goodrich and Shobud? Much thanks, Kip......
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 7:58 am    

Kip,
It seems like you are looking for a short cut to learning how to control the volume pedal. The standard volume pedal lets you set the volume wherever you set it with your foot. Your foot is already there so you have complete control of the volume.

If you are trying to do a particular sound effect you might look into what Speedy West used to rig up sometimes to get his "boo wah" sound.

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 8:26 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Kip,
It seems like you are looking for a short cut to learning how to control the volume pedal. The standard volume pedal lets you set the volume wherever you set it with your foot. Your foot is already there so you have complete control of the volume.

If you are trying to do a particular sound effect you might look into what Speedy West used to rig up sometimes to get his "boo wah" sound.

Bob:

Not trying to change sound quality. Just looking for something that will make it easier to learn volume pedal. Like the original poster in this thread. I have an Ernie Ball and I like the simplicity and structure. But at this point, the pedal is real uncoordinated for me. I believe that a pedal that is spring loaded and will return to off will help me use the pedal. Like car accelerator pedal. Probably not necessary for skilled players- but some pedals like Goodrich and old Show-Bud have this feature I believe. I have posted on another thread here that has info on Goodrich new Omni model pedals about spring loading and adjustable "off" volume level. Thanks......
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 9:18 am    

I think I understand what you are looking for. I had the same problems when I was starting. I think you are giving yourself a handicap by looking for a volume pedal that will make up for your currently temporary deficiencies. Your problem with a volume pedal will disappear forever after around 100 hours of practice. You will save money, time and be a better player by practicing than if you spend your efforts trying to find a work around to one of the most basic aspects of playing the pedalsteel.

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 9:31 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I think I understand what you are looking for. I had the same problems when I was starting. I think you are giving yourself a handicap by looking for a volume pedal that will make up for your currently temporary deficiencies. Your problem with a volume pedal will disappear forever after around 100 hours of practice. You will save money, time and be a better player by practicing than if you spend your efforts trying to find a work around to one of the most basic aspects of playing the pedalsteel.

True- seeking temporary relief Smile ! Using sponge rubber under front of Ernie Ball now. Spending $$ not great substitute for lack of skill....
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 11:30 am    

Wait a minute....Where did the idea come from that Goodrich, ShoBud, or any other pedal steel volume pedals should "return to off", or return to any other position, when ones foot is removed?? A pedal steel VP should hold its last position until it's changed.

Pedal steel volume pedals are all designed to hold their position when your foot is removed. They shouldn't change position at all....unless they have become defective, or have been tampered with.

There is ample reasoning as to why PSG volume pedals work the way they do. Now, if someone wants to make a VP operate differently, for whatever reason, that's fine...have at it. But lets keep the facts straight, OK?

Or am I completely missing the point?? Shocked
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 11:52 am    

The new Goodrich OMNI has a spring with an adjustment for tension.
It is set at the factory to let the pedal stay in whatever position it is in when you remove your foot.
This for me is imperative as I move my right foot to press a pedal when playing C6.

I would not want a pedal that returns to 0 when you remove your foot.

Watch video's of Emmons. He uses his right foot a bunch when playing C6. The pedal had to stay in the position.

Even the standard Goodrich pedals have a spring for tension, that should hold the pedal in position when removing your foot.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 7:21 pm    

Would the volume control be better on a palm lever?
I've watched videos of steel guitarists in the 40s with volume controls on top of the guitar, which they've used for special effects.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 7:24 am    

Mike is right. A pedal steel volume pedal is meant to hold it's position so that you can two-foot the pedals. Also, I think the idea that a spring-return might make it easier to learn to use the pedal is probably false. I'd suspect that it's just the opposite - you'd become accustomed to that "feel" and never be able to play properly using a standard steel volume pedal.

Ideas like this (a spring-return) may sound great, initially, but they'd bite you in the ass whenever you tried to use someone else's rig. Therefore, I'd only suggest doing this if it were done to accommodate some physical handicap, like a fused ankle.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 8:57 pm     A volumum pedal with a spring for tension

I have 2 Goodrich 120's. They have a spring that is hooked from top to bottom that close to the axle.
If that spring has too much tension it will return the pedal front high.
The first pedal had a weak spring in it that it stayed right where you took your foot off it. Since I bought it used, There is some odd places in the spring.
When I got the 2nd pedal, The spring was so tight it raised the front of the pedal up and off, When you took my foot. I inserted a screwdriver in the coils of the spring and stretched the spring slightly. It does not move now, When I take my foot off, It takes pressure to move it like the first pedal.
I play a 12U with F&D on right knee. Glad I do not have to shove on the front of the VP all the time.
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2018 4:36 am    

The old "Wright Custom" tone/volume pedal from the late 50's/early 60's is spring loaded also.