| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who made this seat??
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2007 9:57 pm    

Ebay item 170178419823 in completed auctions.

I thought this was a fair deal. The seller says there is a little plate on the front that says "Easy Rider" and above that is "Mark IV Sound Int.". I had hoped it was a Steelers Choice seat. Anyone know.

Seems there used to be a studio in Carolina called Mark IV. Might have been made for them.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2007 11:34 pm    

It is a Steeler's Choice made by Ken Rollens and his son out of Little Rock, Ark.
Bari Smith

Spartanburg SC USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2007 4:05 am     Rite U R

The studio was in Greenville,It later became Mark V studios..... Very Happy

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2007 6:36 am    

Thank you guys for the info.

I do remember the studio. They used to do a ton of Gospel recordings there and players from Atlanta would drive up to do them.
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 1:24 am    

If it says 'Mark IV', then it has to be Ken Rollans out of Arkansas and/or his son who has pretty much taken over the business since dad retired from it. I have one of the very first seats that Ken ever made. I bought it from him at Scotty's in, I believe, 1987. He even asked me if I would allow him to display it in his booth for the weekend as he had only made a very few of them. I said OK and he did. I still have and use that seat even though, by today's standards, it's a bit crude. It's still a very comfortable seat and holds all the strings, etc. that I tote with me to gigs. Ken is a fine craftsman and I will forever cherish that seat and play from it until it drops in a heap. The way it's built, I doubt if that will ever happen. It is/was the first seat that was not 'rounded' on the cushion, but instead, 'flat' on top which is why I bought it in the first place. I hate sitting on a 'basketball' while trying to push a knee lever. The durometer of the foam he uses in those seats is just right IMO. Good job, Ken!!!
PRR
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 2:20 am    

I have a Mark IV also and talked to them at the steelers choice booth in Chattanooga several years ago. He told me it was his earlier seats and how he was getting his business license and when they asked him for the name of the business he hadn't thought about so he was driving a Mark IV Lincoln and that was what he put down. Mine is a great seat and was almost exactly like the steelers choice he was selling a few years ago. The one on ebay is like mine except I don't have the side compartment. Good price ,I would have bought it if I had seen it.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 3:09 am    

Paul I got one of those in blue too a year or so ago, after my 'Bud pakka seat was destroyed in a fire. Ken's son Dan sent me a new front plate to replace the Mark IV that was on there and also some leg inserts because somebody had put "Crutch rubbers" on the legs. He told me that if the seat was blue, then it was similar to what his dad had used. Mine hasn't got the "sidecar" and I took off the back rest as I was too used to the Sho-Bud seat and I felt the back rest seemed to push me forward too much. It's slightly smaller than the 'Bud seat, but very comfortable. Mine has a fur interior and not sponge like the newer ones. It's really well made and light Smile

Micky Byrne United Kingdom
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 2:20 pm    

Bill, talk to Tommy Dodd about Mark V. If I'm not mistaken, he was a house steel player, and the great Pee Wee Melton was one of the guitar players. Before my time, but there was some good music made there, by a lot of great musicians.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 6:00 pm    

Gambrell. I bought Pee Wees DelVecchio resonator guitar when he retired. Should have bought the vintage 355 Gibson he had. He got fed up with the way music especially country was going way before it got there!