| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Saddlerack in San Jose is closing
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2001 6:03 am    

Big frontpage article in the San Jose Mercury News two days ago about the Saddlerack club closing down. It was sold and will be torn down and the land used for new housing. Can't tell you much more about this or the club (I'd never been there) but apparently the place is a real Northern California institution for country music. The article mentioned that at one time they had live bulls outside in the back for bull riding, and that every night the owner of the club would have to transport the bulls back to where they lived (outside the city). Pretty cool.

Bring on the Saddlerack stories!
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2001 8:36 am    

Yeah, it's true. Their web site says the last day is August 5th.
Here's a good article about the closing from the local free paper the Metro:
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/07.19.01/saddlerack-0129.html

The only memories I have of this place was attending a steel guitar club meeting there many years ago and listening to Bobby Black play for about three hours. I never was a regular there, since it's too far away.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2001 11:04 am    

I've never been there, but I've heard that they are real strict with the band. 45 on, 15 off, fast-fast-slow, etc. It's been the best known honky tonk in the San Jose area for a long time.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2001 2:03 pm    

I used to play there in the mid 80's. It was a great place to play. Sad to see another club go down. There aren't that many clubs left here in the bay area.
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2001 8:42 am    

KYCY, San Francisco's country station, advertises the Cadillac Ranch in Concord with what they say is the largest country dance floor in the Bay Area. I guess if people are looking for a country venue, they could go to Concord. I don't know if the music is live (which was the biggest deal about the Saddle Rack) or DJ'd.
http://www.tommyts.com/cadillac_ranch.html

I've been diving by the Saddle Rack on my way home from work every day for years. Often the KRTY rolling radio would be parked out by the road. I've never been inside the Saddle Rack, but I feel quite bad about its closing since country music is losing an important west coast institution.

------------------
Bill (steel player impersonator) | MSA Classic U12 | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 28 July 2001 at 09:48 AM.]

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2001 9:53 am    

"The Saddlerack",
back in my California days, used to be "the place" to be seen playing. If you played there you must have been somebody!

Many of the "stars" used to play the Saddlerack. Everybody from James Brown to Mel Tillis has been there at some tme or another.

When we played there, they had two stages set up and used two bands, as well as numerous bars through out the place (I heard that "fully opened up" it could hold 3,000 people at one time. That is what management told me once). You played an hour on and an hour off, rotating with the other band (usually the great "Saddlerack Riders)or the "live bull riding ring". You had to be able to play a lot of different material too, and be "high energy!" Back in those days we played everything from "Footloose" to "Crazy Arms!"

Super sound system, Great place, sad to hear it go. It will be missed.

Just another example of the end of an era, I'm afraid.

Dave
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2001 7:12 pm    

Right-O Dave. I played many of time at the "Rack". Not only a great sound system, but a great light man.

I've also played at Caddilac Ranch (named something different at the time), but nothing can beat the Cowtown/Sams Club of the 70's & 80's. Sorry to open more clubs for discussion, but all these clubs were very close to my heart.

And, Dave...

I still think your band should have beaten my band in the Seagrams 7 National Battle of the bands. Your musicianship was far superior ours. I think we came out ahead only 'cuz we had the matching outfits and 2 girl singers. And Wanda, well... That girl sure can sing. And your playing, well... Outside of the "big boys", they don't come any better than you. I sure hope before I die, I can cross paths with you again. You are a class act!

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2001 10:06 pm    

Richard,
thanks man!

Those sure were good ol' days! There was nothing like playing the San Jose nite clubs.
We have many "fond" memories( and a few not so fond) of those days. One memory I have is flying down the interstate at 80+ trying to get to Sam's Club in time to play (seems like we were always late), only to look over and find a state trooper on a motorcycle waving at me through the side glass! I'll never forget getting "that" ticket. It cost me a lot more than I made that night.

Dave
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 10:09 am    

I went to the "Rack" one night while visiting my brother in San Jose and guess who I saw playing...Yup it was none other than Bobby Black playing with the California Cowboys. Man I planted myself right in front and had a blast, real nice fella. I'll never forget that night at the "Rack"..
Bronco Billy..