| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen G2
Jeff Neal

Johnson City Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2007 5:49 pm    

Hey guys, what is your opinon on the new Mullen G2.

Not had the chance to play one yet and I am in the market for a new guitar.

Let me know what you think compared to the Royal P or any all pull guitar.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2007 6:30 pm    

yeah, really...
what's all the fuss? a friend of mine bought a new mullen 6 or 7 years ago...i thought it was one of the best sounding and looking steels i'd ever heard/seen!!
how do you improve on that?
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 7:29 am     Mullen G2

Try one, and the fuss will be known. As you said Chris, the old Mullen's where great. Now imagine the G2.

We raised the bar on steel guitars with this one.
The tone is INCREDIBLE! Everyone always said the Mullen plays like a dream, but the G2 is like a dream during your dream. SMOOTH!

Well I am the manufacture so I could go on all day about how much better it is, but we need some owners to chime in now.
Terry Kinnear

Erie ,Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 3:15 pm    

I will do just that ,Mike. I love my new G2 #4 What a guitar.so smooth to play.stays in tune,from gig to gig.It makes me sound better. Im glad i bought the mullen G2. Sure its alot of money,but it is certainly worth it.At our last steel guitar jam,other steel players,really like the G2.My wife is problably the only one, who doesn"t like the G2.Im not mowing the lawn. working around the house.the honey do list is at a stand still.I would rather ,being playing my steel. She likes the sound of new steel. This steel is a great steel guitar. Glad i,bought mine. Tk

Ionia, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 5:58 am    

Jeff, I've had my G2 for 2 months now. Terry and Mike has about covered it, however, along with smooth action & tone it has incredible sustain. I have many miles on a Royal Precision, which is also a fine guitar, but the G2 is that step up. I am totally happy with every feature of the G2.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 9:55 am    

Well, I'm one month into owning G2 #11. All I can say is the tone is sweet, plays super smooth and easy, sustains forever, stays in tune, and looks killer. Wait time was minimal compared to most other builders. Mike handled the transaction from the get-go, and was very personable and professional in all aspects. I got exactly what I ordered, and the guitar has lived up to all expectations. Feel free to email me with any questions or comments. Enjoy!
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 12:52 pm    

MIke M., just how smooth is smooth and why? What if I want a little fight, some play, a little travel, can that be built in the geetoo?
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 6:25 am    

Jerry wanted me to let everyone know that he has his new Mullen G2 now and it's the BEST sounding and playing steel he has EVER had!!!!!!!!! Of course he tells me that about ever Mullen he gets. All kidding aside. He really loves it. Austin has had great doubts about the G2 sounding and playing better than his Pre G2, but he played Jerry's ( his is on it's way ) and he fell in love with it too. He can't wait till he gets his own!!!!!!!!! Great job Mike, Del, Dixie, Shawn and all the Mullen Crew for a JOB WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!

Donna
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 7:49 am     G2

Thank You guys for all the great comments. We have worked very hard on this one to make it the best. We are getting a lot of good response, thank you.

As for you Gary, The G2 is the smoothest because it has ball bearings and was designed by Del Mullen, (the perfectionist) If you want those other things, you might buy a push pull or something. If you want a Cadillac come see me. They do have plenty of adjustment, but this is not a sloppy machine. Slop does not help your playing, perfection does.

God Bless
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 10:10 am    

Yea, nice, testimonials, now, will or can anyone tell us what the differences are? Mechanically I haven't heard or seen what makes it better. Is it another "Tommy Young" secret? (just kidding)
Mike Mantly, what makes this better? I feel sure it must be better, I'd just like to know where. Who knows, I jes might gotta' have one, (or two)
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 11:04 am    

I have a enough trouble with what's on the top side of my steel -- Emmons Lashley LeGrande II. But for Bobbe and others who work the flipped side, there are a number of differences pictured on this Mullen G2 Page

Mike can fill in the details when he gets a chance.
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 11:18 am    

Bobbe, I will try and tell you some of the things that make this guitar better.

The G2 has a completely different changer. Looks different yet operates fluidly like the Royal Precision changer, and is made entirely out of aluminum. It now has triple raise and triple lower. It is has what we call a super align changer. It is so precise and well engineered. It operates flawlessly.

Some of the other features include:
Split Tuning in the changer
Wide mount Mullen custom wound single coil pickups
Newly designed undercarriage which incorporates a totally new pedal stop design as well as premium sealed ball bearing bushings, and a new cross rod design. Add all this in with a tone that is to die for.
Cosmetically, the guitar looks the same, except the body is a little different and the endplates have no mounting screws visible in the back. Also the guitar has precision machined, highly polished, hardened, aluminum changer rollers that give an ultimate amount of sustain.
There have been some other minor changes throughout the guitar as well.

This guitar has been 5 years in the making, and if you are familiar with our guitars, the Royal Precision was a step up mechanically from the original Mullen and the G2 is another leap above the Royal Precision. There are some pictures on our website to some of the improvements.

Bottom line, the G2 will end your search.

Period.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/g2.htm
Terry Kinnear

Erie ,Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 11:44 am    

Bobbe, I had bought a mullen G2, my friend,who is an expert on steel guitars,checked it out. he told me ,that is well made guitar.alot of improvements.His name is Doug Seymour.boy this guy is good. [ sounds like a rich uncle of yours].heh? Tk

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 7:26 pm    

This is what I wanted to hear. I knew it was a good guitar but I wanted to know why, I now know!

Who is this Doug Seymour guy? (Ha! Ha!) Put me where I am today, and I'll get even someday!

Bobbe
Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 8:45 pm    

I just recieved my G2 today. When I got home from the studio I felt like it was already Christmas! (Except Mike forgot to wrap it in Christmas paper!) It is one beautifully manufactured machine. I can't wait to take it to the studio tomorrow. I didn't get home til late tonight so I didn't have a chance to even plug it in or do any adjusting on it...but I pulled up a kitchen chair and sat down under it and I don't think it's gonna need much adjusting. I think Del or Mike even remembered from playing my RP that I like my first pedal raised a little higher than most people do. My G2's first pedal is just about where I like it. Now that's service. I'm gonna be playing it on the TV portion of the Grand Ol Opry on the 15th of this month so check it out if you can. Not the playing....just the guitar! It's a laquer finish with a "gray burst" I guess you'd call it. Ebony black on the ends fading into a charcoal gray in the middle. It's BEAUTIFUL!!! Might have to dig a little deeper into your wallet for a laquer finish, but I haven't owned one since I first started learning how to play and I thought it was about time time to get another. I still play my RP on the road and it's mica so I have the best of both worlds. Bobbe, I'll bring it by one day and we'll give it a good test drive if you want.

I'll write back after a few days of using it in the studio and let you know the outcome.

God Bless you all,

Tim
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2007 4:08 pm    

Yea Tim, bring it by and I'll show you how to play it! Whoa! Did I say that? Laughing
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2007 5:28 pm    

I hope it's OK if I chime in the G2 love-fest with a couple questions. First let me say that I spent a couple of hours behind Mickey Adams' G2 (ser.#3 I think) and was totally blown away by the playability and the sound. I can't really remember about a few things though. Can anyone comment on how even the sustain above the 12th fret is and also about cabinet drop/detuning. Thanks in advance.
TC
Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 11:25 am    

Tim, I caught the Opry on GAC, and that guitar is beautiful. Your sound was great as well; are you still using a Steel King?
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2007 7:17 am    

Dang it. Missed the Opry. Wish I could have seen it.

T.C.- We checked one out and it had little to no cabinet drop it is an amazing guitar. I will let some players help with the sustain questions, there is nothing we have ever found it was lacking. The sustain is like double our other models.