| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons VP
Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2007 10:43 pm    

I recently bought this VP and after trying it out have discovered the post on the bottom that acts as a support or stop is quite a bit taller than it needs to be. Even with the thumb screw feet adjustments i am unable to get enough travel to be effective. Has the pedal bar assemblies been changed to a different height or am i missing something here? Anybody have a theory ? Thanks--------Skip
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 7:57 am    

I recently have had this problem with my old Legrande pedal on my PP and the workaround for me was to slightly elevate (1/2") the front legs and tighten them in place. That gave me enough clearance for the pedal stem. I tried every other setting on the pedal, this is the only one that worked.
Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 2:50 pm    

John thanks for the info. I'll try your idea and see how i like it. The pedal is in excellent cond., just don't work right for me.--Skip
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 11:58 pm    

Why not remove the bolt and cut it down and 1/8 of inch or whatever is needed. Or replace it with one 1/4 shorter. I think sometimes when guys add lift kits to Emmons they install a longer bolt in the VP. Hope this helps.......bb
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 7:40 am    

Bobby is right about the fix,imo.
Also, if you raise your front legs you'll have to readjust your pedal rods downwards. Its not a problem to do that,but you'll also lose mechanical advantage as your pedal pad gets closer again to the floor,while the connecting point on the arm for the pedal rod ends up above center. This will cause stiffness and mushiness in your pedal feel.
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 8:57 am     Emmons Volume Pedals

I think Ship is referring to the post on the front of the pedal that is the stop for the pedal travel and also where the string terminates. I've often noticed the same thing if the guitar is placed on deep carpet or something similar. Doing that allows the post to "bottom out" before the pedal reaches full travel. It's usually not an issue if the guitar is sitting on a hard surface.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Last edited by Lynn Stafford on 8 Dec 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 10:44 am     Re: Emmons Volume Pedals

Lynn Stafford wrote:
I think Ship is referring to the post on the front of the pedal that is the stop for the pedal travel and also where the string terminates. I've often noticed the same thing if the guitar is placed on deep carpet of something similar. Doing that allows the post to "bottom out" before the pedal reaches full travel. It's usually not an issue if the guitar is sitting on a hard surface.

I know that's the case w/ my P/P. No problem out in clubs, but insuffcient VP travel on plush carpet....to test that hypothesis, put your guitar on furniture coasters. That should improve or eliminate the problem, and is easily reversible....Course, it's going to make your pedals feel slightly high.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:10 pm    

The simple fix is to cut about 1/4" off of the string mounting pillar. It is plenty long for the string but you will need to alter the stop for the off position. You can do this by removing some material in the area where the stop that is attached to the pillar bottoms out on the pedal frame. It is a somewhat more than simple job but worth the effort and will solve the problem.
Jerry
Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 5:43 pm    

I appreciate the comments from you all. The problem is as Lynn and Jerry have stated. The post that the string on is to tall and needs to be shortened for me to be able to use it. Then i'll have to drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the post and thread them for the string holder. Probably be easier to trade the pedal for an Emmons pedal that'll fit my steel. Thanks again to you all,--Skip Oh Well
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 12:26 am    

Skip, I think they are all the same.Jerry, Mike??
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 9:53 am     Emmons Volume Pedals

Skip,

I agree with Bobby. As far as I know the Emmons pedals, both fixed and drop pin have the same inherent design, so it wouldn't really pay to just trade for another one.

Jerry's suggestion of shortening the post would solve the problem of bottoming out but would also shorten the throw of the pedal (and pot shaft revolution). The pot would not shut off if the pedal was set to open the pot all the way when the pedal was pushed all the way through its travel. I do agree that the post could be shortened as needed but a different means of providing an "off" stop would be required. If for example, the post was shortened by 1/4", a mill could then be used to create a clearance notch of the same depth in the ajoining black part where the post plate contacts the rubber pad. This or a similar modification would require some effort, as Jerry mentioned but would solve the problem.

As an asside, I've been using a Hilton pedal with the Emmons bracket when playing out. None of this travel restriction occurs with the Hilton pedal and I must admit that I really enjoy the added tonal benifits that it provides, as opposed to a pot pedal. Thanks, Keith Very Happy

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 10:56 am    

I converted my Emmons VP to free-standing

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 11:12 am    

Lynn, you said it better than I did but I did state that the stop for the off position would have to be altered by removing some material from the "frame" of the pedal. However, this would work. Bobby, I would have not thought it but I recently acquired what looks to be an Emmons pedal but the post is longer so I am going to have to alter it. That is the reason I had in mind how to correct the problem in Skips pedal. I don't know if someone else put out a pedal that looks like an Emmons except for the longer post but I would suspect that is the case.
Jerry.