| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone Had Dealings With This Austrian Music Store Owner?
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:02 pm    

I've had an offer on one of my steels from this guy:
hans fürst
www.dr.dings.at
The website shows a store, but it doesn't look like any merchandise for sale... he's wanting to do a bank transfer and I'm kind of leery of that. Any insite much appreciated.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:36 pm    

Mark,
Maybe one of our Austrian members can check the store out. steve t
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:41 pm    

You might want to send a message to Forumite Walter Stettner, who lives in Vienna.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 3:09 pm    

I wouldn't want to disclose my bank info either. Maybe PayPal is a better solution. If you're both verified on PayPal then you can achieve that and only PayPal knows the bank info.
Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 4:05 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:
You might want to send a message to Forumite Walter Stettner, who lives in Vienna.

A good idea, But you have to trust your instincts. Bank info.....I'd be a bit cautious.
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 5:12 pm    

Website looks pretty good as there is a lot of photos if you check the menu buttons. IMHO, it would have to be a pretty elaborate setup for a quick con. Check with your bank first before releasing info. Assuming he is talking about transferring to your checking account, if he is needing your bank's ABA number and your account number that information is published on every check you have ever written -- so in theory thousands upon thousand of people have had access to these numbers in the past, not like that is a secret. I would think those numbers would be the limit to what his finacial institution needs for a transfer. Again, wait till your bank is open and check with them first.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 7:59 pm    

I would trust Walter, if he wanted to act as a "middle man" to collect the funds and deliver the instrument.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 8:21 pm    

When dealing overseas, I prefer wire transfer of funds into my account.

Somebody would have to have your PIN # in order to remove funds from your account.....
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 12:41 am    

Direct bank transfer is safe. He can put funds in only. Don't worry about funds being removed from your account (do not give him or anyone your pin #). Also find out how much your particular bank will charge you for recieving the transfer and pass that fee onto the buyer. My bank, a small one, charges me $35. from europe and $15. domestic transfers.
Robbery in my opinion.
Good luck with the deal.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 12:57 am    

Bank transfers are very common in Europe. They work fine in my experience. I don't think they expose you to much of anything. I have gotten some impressive bank fees though from my crappy U.S. bank.

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 2:31 am    

i use bank transfer from Europa to the USA when the other party does'nt have a paypal account
it's safe - i've never had any probs
i do prefer paypal since it's a bit cheaper commission wise
Roger Kemp

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 1:37 pm    

First of all My wife worked at a financial instution. People/Bussiness dont have to have a PIN# to withdraw funds. Rolling Eyes Havent you guys ever gave a ulitity company your routing and account# for auto pay? Or order some product off the tv with a checking account# Check with your bank. you cant stop them from taking payments again & again. Its called check by phone. Anyone can print a check with your info with a computer and printer. I am not sayiing that bank wire's arnt ok. But If it was me I would open a free seperate savings account. Give him that #
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 4:38 pm    

Roger Kemp wrote:
First of all My wife worked at a financial instution. People/Bussiness dont have to have a PIN# to withdraw funds. Rolling Eyes Havent you guys ever gave a ulitity company your routing and account# for auto pay? Or order some product off the tv with a checking account# Check with your bank. you cant stop them from taking payments again & again. Its called check by phone. Anyone can print a check with your info with a computer and printer. I am not sayiing that bank wire's arnt ok. But If it was me I would open a free seperate savings account. Give him that #

I asked my bank about the security of transfers a couple years ago and I was assured that it was safe and any problems would be on their dime.