| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many from the British Isles
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2007 10:23 am    

It would be interesting to know How many steel players there are on the forum from the British Isles.
Why don't you guys post your country ( England / Scotland / Wales / Ireland north and south / and the Isles )
Maybe a little history about yourself, bands you played in , guitar you play and so on....

I'll go first.( well it was my idea )
John Roche , Ireland.
Been playing steel for 37 years , nearly got the hang of it now
Sierra Session 12 Uni, Sho-Bud Super Pro D10.
nashville 112.
Bands ... Kinda Country / Culpepper County / Barbary Coast / and a lot of short lived bands..
Lots of TV , Radio , even made a movie.
Too many recordings to recall..
I don't know how I got away with it, LOL
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2007 4:20 pm     Re: How many from the British Isles

Ok John, I'll go second. Started playing pedal steel in 1970. Have Carter and Sho-Bud universals.Fender telecaster B-bender, Evans Fet 500 and Nashville 400 amps. Was in my own band for many years "Julie Byrne & Nashville cat" worked all Europe and then 6 months Mid West U.S.A. with an American band in 1984. Did 7 years of Film extra work. Slowing down now because of age. Hope more sign in John, as it's another topic, and a few of us are on this forum....Cheers Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne England
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 5:06 am    

Jamie Lennon - Birmingham England, playing for 18 years since age of ten, played America, Europe.. Currently in 2 bands, family and a country band !

Play a Franklin D10 (best steel ever had!!!)
Shobud SD10
Profex 2 (2)
Session 500 (2)
Hilton VP

Got mesa boogie and mosvalve stuff coming after xmas to add to collection !

www.georgettejones.net

Last edited by Jamie Lennon on 8 Dec 2007 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 5:29 am    

Hi,
Dave Hepworth here.I have been playing steel since 1979.I have been in various bands and set ups since then.The longest spell was with Stone Creek .I particularly like early country rock esp.new riders ,pure praire league.
I currently have an old LDG and a new GFI ultra sd 10.
I use a peavey vegas and valve fender concert in stereo.
cheers Dave
Ray Kedge

Middlesex, England
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 5:34 am    

John,
Playing since 1969 first band Strange Blend country rock trio,Then Counrty Fever, Muskrats,Hickory Lake, now Nashville Sounds, Have been very lucky to have worked with Tex Williams,Hank Thompson Nat Stuckey B J Spears Margo Smith and Freddy Fender and many more. Bit of a list.
As far as Steels go had the lot over the years but very settled with the Bennett guitar D10 8X7. Looking forward to the arrival of my new Bennett SD10 4x6. Nashville 112. Evans 500 .Dobro D88 square neck and an Aspen Banjo.

Cheers Ray
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Greece
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 9:37 am     British Steel Players

Hallo John
Do I qualify for this thread as i live in Greece now ?
all the best
Frank Bloomfield. Corfu. Greece
David Hartley

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:12 am     This is a nice thread to start..

David Hartley, Amarillo CM Duo. Suffolk. Sessions, other band gigs, anything that I can fit in really. Past bands, New Silver Ace, Country Shack, Laurie Pepper (Ipswich band with Mick Noller on Lead), I liked that band a lot, Errr? pleanty more I cant think of..Started with a ZB Student, then a Framus D10, Then a SB Super Pro, Then an LDG (my mate keith has that), Now a Rains of course. I know of plenty of guys (and a girl whos getting one soon) who own steels, and play with NO intention of gigging. There's on particular guy in Cambridge, who had an LDG, just a bit younger than me..and he played it from the minute he got home from work for the rest of the night.. He knew a great many LG instrumentals NOTE FOR NOTE. He was showing me stuff years ago that he worked out. I haven't stayed in touch but I bet he's still doing it. He just thought the whole thing was false over here in the UK and called the audience plastic cowboys. If he is still picking at it now, he's probably a UK Doug J. Thats TRUE...I bought my LDG from a guy in Ipswich who owned it from NEW. Had it for 18 years. It only came out of the case from new and went back in it when I bought it! 18 Years sitting in his lounge staring at it. He just loved the instrument and needed to own one.. Now if there's 2 guys like this within 60 miles of each other her in the UK, just imagine how many there are in ther USA...........
I am going on a bit here arn't I? Good thread, but you will never get an accurate answer from it.. How many gigging steelies? perhaps..
John Finlay....Mildenhall..I am putting his name up cos he's not on the internet..
Kenny Pierce..Mildenhal..Plays all the while at home..WHO i learnt a lot from..
Keith White, Next Village..Euston, Suffolk. Jam Sessions..not on internet..Owns 2 steels and getting another from DFW in March 2008..
Tony Smart..Harlow..Dont get out playing much as far as I know but damn good player (he will probably see this and answer the thread himself..)
Look our for [url]Kay white[/url]..(keiths daughter 1Cool. she can get a tune out of it already and his having her dads old one in march.

Anyway ALEX MIKO..he was the cambridge super picker.. I may have to try and get in touch..And his brother Chris...Brilliant Country Music Singer too....

Going now.. Smile

David
David Hartley

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:21 am     What about..........

Sarah Jory and Nick Zala..

Thought I'd mention them incase the thread don't get answered by themselves..Here's Nicks Site..

http://www.pedal-steel.co.uk/
David Hartley

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:24 am     And...

Bob Haskell, Harlow.. Still gigging with Bill Conlon and John Stannard.. never seen him on here either so I mentioning them for the thread..

Davith
David Hartley

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 12:49 am     M Duffy

whats he up to these days? with Robbie Williams? ...I dont know

There's a FRANKLIN owner in Cambridge too.. cant remember his name but I know JT Finlay wants his steel!

Jonny Rondo (shoBud) and Joe ?? (ZB)(never can remember his name) but they will both be pickin' this Sunday along with myself at Runcton Holme social club nr Kings Lynn 12midday till about 8pm if anyone wants to come..its Free..Keith there too..

I will think of more local guys I know..

BYE..
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 4:11 am    

Tamworth Staffordshire, playing sessions, gigging (Full time) and raising money for charity.
My Bio
Playing now for 54 years !! maybe I've just about got the hang of it, though not as proficient as that "Jammy" Hartley guy. (Thank goodness he doesn't play Hawaiian Style) Who said "YET" ?
Les Wright

Norfolk,England
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 4:32 am    

Les Wright - Started trying to play in 1969 and am still trying. Played with local bands through the 70s,80s and 90s then got disillusioned with the music scene and sold off all the gear. Recently retired from the day job and have started gigging again. First guitar was a Denley then a ZB. Have owned Emmons, Shobud and GFI in the past. Now play a Mullen universal with a Black Box and Nashville 112.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 5:20 am    

Shropshire
Started playing in 1983.
Lack of finance meant that I had to make my own pedal steel, the learning curve for both making and learning to play a steel was quite steep Very Happy

Have had a few steels, but now I'm down to three:
Denley, ZB and Emmons PP

Only ever a weekend warrior, I'm afraid, and now my gigs are very few and far between, to the point of being non-existent Sad
Spencer Cullum

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 5:43 am    

spencer cullum

been playing steel for about 4 years - london based - now recently play for deadstring bros. in the u.s & u.k.

recently moved to universal tuning from e9 and getting into tube tape echo through pedal steel

play an msa & fender twin 65, 15"

got into steel from lessons & guidence from bj cole & pete willshire
Spencer Cullum

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 6:01 am     Re: How many from the British Isles

Micky Byrne wrote:
Ok John, I'll go second. Started playing pedal steel in 1970. Have Carter and Sho-Bud universals.Fender telecaster B-bender, Evans Fet 500 and Nashville 400 amps. Was in my own band for many years "Julie Byrne & Nashville cat" worked all Europe and then 6 months Mid West U.S.A. with an American band in 1984. Did 7 years of Film extra work. Slowing down now because of age. Hope more sign in John, as it's another topic, and a few of us are on this forum....Cheers Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne England

and this man helped me out getting started aswell - how that universal sho bud mickey? thats a classy guitar
James Martin (U.K.)

Watford, Herts, United Kingdom * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 6:53 am     Steelie in Watford

Hi fellow UK players, I played Hawaiian guitar early 70s for three years moved on to pedal in 73 owned D10 ZB from Eric Snowball followed by three Sho-buds, Eamons, and present guitar S10 Carter.Did Opportunity Knocks with the band Rainbow Country Sounds back in 74 got beaten into second place by a yodelling dog!I'm currently playing with the band Amarillo based in Watford.
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 8:35 am    

Hi Guys
May as well add to the list.
Started playing in 1968 after hearing and being inspired by one of the sweetest ever steel players I've ever heard, even to this day. A guy called Tony Coulson from Liverpool, who played a denley single eight through a vox AC15 with an Echoplex.
My steel Heroes were Tom Brumley, Ralgh Mooney and Jay Mcdonald. All the early Jonesey albums with Hal Rugg and the Paycheck Little Darlin' albums with LLoyd Green.
My guitars have ranged through Denley, Fender, ZB, Sho Bud and Emmons. I'm always a believer in the hands not the equipment.
I've been pro since 1972.
I'd like to mention a few guys who deserve a mention.
Ronnie Bennett a great steel player and builder of guitars and a gentleman.
Dave Rolands, in my opinion maybe the best UK player
we have. A great E9th player and an even better C6 player.
Melvin Duffy, who is a great steelie and a superb
guitarist.
I raise my glass to anybody who plays the steel.
Cheers all
Barry
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 8:48 am    

I have been playing steel since 1967 when I was eighteen, but was first interested when I heard Santo & Johnny in 1961. Numerous bands - too many to list here. Bought my first ZB D10 in 1972 and replaced that with another ZB in 1974. In '75 I got my ShoBud Pro 111 and this has been my mainstay guitar ever since. It's a great instrument. I have two more ShoBuds. I play a bit of 6-string guitar, dobro, banjo, mandolin.

Was pro for 17 years (when you could make a good living in the UK), have played on over 135 albums and done a large number of radio sessions. Taught dozens of players over the years, and some actually went on to earn a few pennies out of the music game. Most of the guys from the UK on the Forum that are over the age of 50 I know. There are some very good players in the UK - Gerry Hogan, Pete Haywood (the best in my opinion), BJ Cole, Sarah Jory and many more.

I am still gigging, mainly weekends with a band called Ridgeway, but most importantly I love the instrument as much now as I did when I first started playing.
Jim Gorrie

Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 3:18 pm     Re: Steelie in Watford

James Martin wrote:
Hi fellow UK players. . . . .Did Opportunity Knocks with the band Rainbow Country Sounds back in 74 got beaten into second place by a yodelling dog!

James ~ would you happen to have contact details for that dog ? -- I'd like to offer to play steel for him ! (We could be called "Dog and Cat" or something, coz that's what we'd sound like.)

Anyway, seein' as I'm here ~ I got sucked into this steel guitar thing in the early 70's and by the end of the 70's just had to have a go at trying to learn the thing. Due to high PSG prices and low earnings it had to be a self-built job. No. 1 was mainly made of wood ~ it even had wooden screw-in legs and a wooden pedal board ! When I got out and about and was able to have a close-up look at some REAL steels I could see that I'd have to build a more "realistic-looking" PSG.
So, after a few months of sawing, drilling, filing, sanding, polishing (did I mention crying?) No. 2 was born.
Here's No. 2 > > >

Those end plates were welded 3/16" mild steel, nickel plated; Note the huge steel nuts welded under the end plates to accept the screw-in legs !

No. 3 came to life around 1987/88. I had merely intended it to be an update for No 2 ~ I had obtained some bird's eye maple for making a new cabinet but got a bit carried away and ended up building a complete new guitar. Everything was built from scratch apart from the legs, pick-up, fretboard and roller nut assembly which came from an old MSA Sidekick.
Here's No. 3 > > >

For about two years in the mid 80's I played out with a couple of bands (The Daltons; and Sundance) and subbed a few times for another local band, Desperado.
By the late 80's all that had fizzled out and I was back in the bedroom with No. 3.
Playing the thing became rarer and rarer and by 2000 I "knew" I was finished with pedal steel so it was sold and I was without a steel for over 5 years until I got my first ever bought steel ~ an SD10 Fessenden.

Both of the above pictured steels were sold through Gerry Hogan's shop in Newbury (the brown one around 1987; the green one in 2000/01)and if any of you Brits have seen them in someone else's hands I'd be interested to know who their current owners are ? Smile

Marin County, CA (originally U.K)
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 4:49 pm    

Hi, I've been playing for the last 10 years or so. Originally from Bucks but have been in Los Angeles for the last 8 1/2 years. Moved here with my band Minibar when we got a deal with a label here and decided to stay on when we got dropped. Have played with Minnie Driver and now Pete Yorn. It's been a blast , but, man I miss pork pies, scotch eggs and decent curry....
Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 6:38 pm    

Count me in. North London Born and Bred. (Come on You Spurs) Now 16 years in Austin Texas, and still talking funny.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 8:14 pm    

I'm another one from Birmingham. Started playing lap steel in 1963. Some day I'll figure it out. Very Happy Never played professionally. Used to arrange regular jam sessions until 1980, when I moved to San Francisco, since when I've been multiple-tracking myself. I like to play any folk-based music and spend a lot of time playing mediaeval music on instruments I build myself. Needless to say, I don't add electric steels to mediaeval pieces ! Shocked Took up pedal steel about 3 yrs. ago.
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Greece
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 5:32 am     UK steel players

Hallo all
I'm not sure if I've added to this thread so just
incase I have'nt, I'm from Royal Tunbridge Wells
originally but moved to Swansea in 1960. I've been
"playing" steel since 1971 firstly with Phoenix
County which went on to become Frisco and other
bands and duo's. Currently playing my cherished ZB
D-10,My Franlin Tele,Peavey Session 400LTD and lots
of little gadgets.
I would like also to mention guy who was a very
tasty player who a lot of you guys will remember him
playing with West Virginia from Liverpool,the late
Eric Lloyd,had many a good time when we all played
the Pontins Country venues,he deserves a mention I
think,also the great Slim Pickins,good steelie,fiddle
player and comedian.
Well, thats it,
All the best
Frank Bloomfield. Corfu
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 6:20 am    

Malcolm McMaster playing about 25 years, currently on Mullen D10, Profex, DPC 750 , 2 Nashville cabs, for bigger gigs or peavey Nashville 400, for normal gigs. Started on Fender Student, then a Springfield,then a ShoBud Pro 1 for about 20 years,modded by Uncle Ron Bennett.Sold to buy Mullen.I am currently playing with The City Sinners,a Gram Parsons tribute show, and also work with John Miller and his Country Casuals.Past bands ,Radio Sweethearts, Tony Goodacre, and numerous American Artists, Rosie Flores, Laura Cantrell, Chip Taylor, John Herald etc.
Also like to mention a friend of mine, I beleive is one of the best in Scotland Willie Gamble, also how about a list of players I don't see mentioned , my good friend and fantastic player Derek Thurlby, and his dad Gerry Hogan.( Gerry will kill me for that)Also here in Scotland we have Alan Thomson,Billy McKillop, Billy Murdoch, Donny Johnstone,Fiona Tomany,Dougie Stevenson,Davie Holland.All great players and good guys.
Glyn Bone

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 6:30 am    

Glyn Bone here, probably called an ex-pat Brit by now..from Letchworth, Hertfordshire....migrated with the family to Australia in 1954...played six string for many years....took up PSG about 1989 under the hands of Ben.E. Joyner and Geo. Xanthos...when Ben passed away about `95 or so I dropped the music scene until 2004 when my wife ( 2nd one ) Chris. told me I should get back into it again...now playing a Carter SD 10 thru` a PV 112, Hilton VP.
Don`t play for anyone, just a `bedroom` player these days but go to a local Steel Guitar club once a month....Living in Nova Scotia,Canada since 2004 so I`m `almost` back home again Smile

Carter SD10 4x5 with Wallace TrueTone ( 18K ohms)
Peavey NV 112
Hilton Vol.Ped.
Brad Sarno 'Freeloader'
Boss/Roland SE-20 Space Echo
BJS `Hughey` bar
BJS 1" bar
Zookie thumbpicks
Dunlop and JN finger picks