| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mass. Bash A Great Show
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 6:31 pm    

It was a great steel bash and Bobbe Seymour is not the bad guy some of you claim he is. He is a great person and a real great steel player.He just plays around on that steel and everything comes out perfect.I wish I could do that as I'm struggling to learn to play.Thank you Bill Hankey and Doug Beaumier for having me,my wife and all the members of the R.I steel guitar Assoc.We have some of the greatest steel players in the country here in the North east.The best bash Bill has had yet.
Sam White
S-10 Fessenden 3-4
S-10 White Steel Guitar 3-4
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 7:37 pm    

Sammy how right you are It was a great Show of Steel guitars and people who don't get the recognition they deserve.Bobbe Seymour showed his great talent and above all showmanship and his ability to capture an audience. Smiley Roberts had problems with his new steel at first but once that was mechanicaly straightened out he showed what a great Talent he is and why he is consided one of Nashvilles best kept secrets.Sammy Gibson started the show way before the audience arrived and I felt he was cheated out of playing to a crowd that deserved to see how great this man can pick. Jim Roule (what more can I say about this great friend but what a super talent),Doug Beaumier even tho he had to spend the whole day helping to keep the show running smoothly, showed why he is consided one of the best(talk about another great player Jim Smith all the way from Texas and I had a chance to be reunited after some twenty years and it felt like we never had that time span.. Wasn't Jim Cohen something else.Jim Cohen on his Fessenden steel debuted his new CD,s highlights and was superb. Jerry Fessenden,Mike Ihde Randy Rollman,John Swain ,Dave Van Allen and Pete Adams rounded out what was a great day.Frankie Caruso from the Waltham area show the masters touch of the Jimmy Day sounds of pure great Country.Capped off with organizer Bill Hankey and Chuck Sherman along with Jim Smith closing out the night. Bill looked a little worn out from all the days activities,,He deserves a credit for a Job well done. Bobbe Seymour totally outdid himself. And Smiley Roberts showed why he has made a living (40 years)doing nothing but playing steel for the best in Nashville....IHS

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 18 July 2001 at 09:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 22 July 2001 at 12:36 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 9:45 pm    

A fantastic day. Lots of warm applause and appreciation from the crowd and a lot of excellent playing. Joe, thank you for coming up from FL to MC the show... you did a great job.

Bobbe Seymour... what a fine gentleman and ambassador for the steel guitar. His playing is excellent and his stories are even better. Man, he is an encyclopedia of steel guitar history! The people loved him.

Thanks to the many forumites who came to the show. I lost count of all the forum members! All of the players that Joe mentioned above were great... all dedicated to playing and promoting steel guitar. What a fun show. Thanks again Bill Hankey.

And Yes! Smiley Did wear his shorts outside of his pants! What a fashion statement. BTW, Smiley's new Sho-Bud sounds g-o-o-o-d!

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 15 July 2001 at 10:54 PM.]

Ron Castle

West Hurley,NY
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 4:03 am    

Was a really great show. Thanks to all the great players, and thanks to Bill Lawrence for getting Jim Smith's 13str pickup done in time for Jim to play this show. It was a treat to see Jim laying on his back under the new guitar, since Fessenden got it done but not fully adjusted. Cant wait for Bill Lawrence to send out my 14str p/u so Jerry can finish my new guitar. Hopefully I won't have to lay underneath and adjust it!

And since I was early I now know and appreciate 'who the hell is Sam Gibson'. He played a really fine set.

Terrific show- Thanks Bill, Doug and all participants.

[This message was edited by Ron Castle on 16 July 2001 at 05:04 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ron Castle on 16 July 2001 at 05:07 AM.]

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 9:32 am    

Yes I'll say it again GREAT job Doug and Bill that was a Fantastic job you guys done.You put on the best of the best yesterday.I wish to thank you both from all the members of the R.I. Steel Guitar Association.And one fantastic job at hosting the Mass. Steel Bash Joe Casey you are one of the best I've heard. I hope I can do as well at our Steel Show on Sept. 23rd and if you guys are available and Joe your in the area stop in. I'm hopping at our meeting next tuesday everyone agrees to have Bobbe Seymour at our show. Italked to him and he gave me the details and I think it is a great Idea. And again Thank you Joe Casey for telling me to talk to Bobbe about our Show.A great bunch of Steel players.I'm glad Smiley Roberts you got that new Sho Bud straitened out. I sat right in front of you and man you were fit to be tied.You done a Excellent job and lots of luck with that new Steel.If that was me that guitar would have been in big trouble because I may have picked it up and let it go. Not really now I would'nt but when I was 30 years younger it would have been really broken.Great Job for everyone involved.
Sam White
S-10 Fessy 3-4
S-10 White Steel Guitar

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 16 July 2001 at 10:34 AM.]

ArtPalazzini

Torrington , Ct. Litchfield
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 10:02 am    

KUDOS to Bill Hankey for an excellent Steel Bash. Great show and great players. The Pedal Steel Guitar is alive and well.It wasa also great to meet the many FOURMITES that were there. Keeping It Country ... Art
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 10:21 am    

Quote:
It was a treat to see Jim laying on his back under the new guitar
Hey, I do some of my best work on my back!

Seriously though, I want to extend my sincerest thanks to both Jerry Fessenden and Bill Lawrence for their "above and beyond" efforst to get this 13 string guitar with 8&8 ready for me to play and take home. It plays like a dream and sounds even better!

Now I need to update my signature.

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@home.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-12 (soon to be U-13) 8&5 (so far)=-

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 11:15 am    

Jim what a great thrill it was for me to work with you again.When you kicked off "I just destroyed" you really fired me up. I wish we could have done that stuff all day. Good luck with new "Fessy" Great sound.

------------------
CJC

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 11:46 am    

I've been to my fair share of steel shows around the Northeast sector over the years.
I've come to know most all the veteran players by now.

And I have to state, unequivically, that every single player keeps getting better and better with the passing of every year. I can
see the growth and the sort of busting-out that's taking place here among all you great
steelers. I'm glad to know most of you.

What a great, gorgeous day it was. Music, sunshine, good vibes all around, and of course the flowing bar. This, IMHO, was a
show of all shows.

Thanks All,

ChipsAhoy
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 6:39 pm    

SAM WHITE! What do you mean,I'm not the bad guy some people think I am? What do you mean, SOME PEOPLE-----Everybody thinks I'M BAD! You heard me play,so did everyone else,you All know I'm bad, And I love being bad,Clint Eastwood was bad,The wolf was bad,And Little Red Ridinghood loved it!Remember, being bad can be good,but being good is never bad!(just made that up, pretty GOOD Huh?)
I loved meeting you at the jam Sam (rymes). Looking foward to seeing you at your show.
Bobbe
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 6:47 pm    

another fun day of steel guitar comraderie, and back to back shuffles. The bar food wasn't bad either

I was disappointed I only heard Orange BLossom Special twice, and STeel Guitar Rag twice (but once was Mike Ihde on gutar)

how many female vocalists does it take to sing "Crazy"?...

I have pix of Jim Smith upside down under his spankin new fessy... thought it was a "kodak moment" I will post when I get to a different computer.. I am stil out of town...

Doug B knocked me out with "Faded Love"
and meeting Bobbe, and SMiley (smiley for the second time, almost thirty years later)was great.

Sam Gibson RULES!!!

and Jimmy Roulle has a spooky fast right hand!!

Everyone else played great, and I want to thank BIll Hankey for inviting me to participate.

------------------
"I AM ZUMBODY!"

Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: Fender T-8 Stringmaster :: Fender Tube Amplification
www.voicenet.com/~vanallen/ :: vanallen@voicenet.com

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 11:28 pm    

Thanks Dave, Sam, and others. Dave you too are one of the great players who made this show a success.

Much thanks to Mike Ihde as well. How lucky we are to have such a noted musician and educator play at the Mass Bash. Besides playing a set on his lap steel, Mike played bass for Jim Cohen and guitar for Bobbe Seymour. The audience applauded nearly all of his guitar solos!

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 4:36 am    

Great Music! Great Ambience!Great People!

My observance was, 50/50 S12 & D10,
6 different brand of guitars and They all had outstanding tone. I would not be able
to select one over the other because of tone!

Great Job by everyone!!!

Thanks,
Richard
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 4:41 am    

I want to add my thanks to Bill Hankey for inviting me to be a part of this excellent show. And to all the players who appeared on the show, and the audience that gave us all such a great reception. It was such a fun day, and a real treat for me to finally hear Smiley Roberts play live... Wow! What a great player he is; his Leslie-speaker Profex patch sounded so realistic, I was doin' the Ray Charles thing all through his rendition of "I Can't Stop Loving You". Can't wait to hear him play "Green Onions" one of these days.
Other special treats, for me, were finally getting to hear Jim Smith, who is a killer player, and Joe Casey who sings like nobody else (Just kidding: Joe is an excellent singer).
Thanks also to Mike Ihde for volunteering to play guitar on my set, and Randy Rollman on bass. You guys made it easy for me to do my thing.
All in all, a wonderful day.

------------------
www.jimcohen.com
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 5:20 am    

Indeed it was a great show. One of my favorite parts of these shows is meeting some of my fellow forumites. It's really nice to put a face to the names.

Of course, there was some pretty good music, too!
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 5:37 am    

I wish to extend my sincere appreciation for the generous support of the attendees, and the professionalism shown by the designated players. Everyone was totally elated by the expertise and versatility that was evident during the show. Much has been accomplished by the learning experience at the 19th MA STEEL GUITAR BASH. As we have become more knowledgeable, we hope that it will be reflected in future shows.

The July 15th MA Bash created events within the event, too numerous to relate in a few paragraphs. It will require several written reports to relate the highlights of the show. Many surprises, coupled with generosities, and efforts will be emphasized in future notes. Please look for a compilation of players and events in future replies.

Bill Hankey

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 5:06 pm    

I had a great time at the Mass Bash. Lots of great music. And boy, did those Fessenden guitars sound GREAT!!! What a sound from Smiley Roberts, Jim Cohen, Bobbe Seymour, Jim Smith, Jerry Fessenden, Doug Beaumier, and too many more to mention. How about that singing by MC Joe Casey. And of course I always have a great time playing Bass for my Uncle and friend, Frank Caruso. Great time and a good warm-up for St. Louis.

------------------
D-10 Fessenden
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 8:41 pm    

I have never enjoyed myself more and have NEVER been treated better than by the wonderful folks at the Mass Bash this past weekend. Bill H. and Doug B.and the staff were the most gracious hosts one could wish for, WOW! a truly great time! Many of my old customers that I had never met face to face , I finally got to see and it was like a old time family reunion. I never heard a negitive comment or word of any kind from anyone. The most beautiful setting and weather, It must be what heaven is like!
Nothing could have made it any better!
God bless Bill Hanky and all you wonderful people, I'll never forget this weekend, Thnks to all of you, Bobbe Seymour!
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 8:44 pm    

AND------- Joe Casey deserves a super special Vote of thanks. Great singing,great M.C. work and great organizing skills.
Your a GREAT one Mr. Casey!
Bobbe!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 10:38 pm    

Bobbe, Thanks again for coming up to the Mass Steel Bash. You made this a memorable event for everyone involved. I feel lucky that I had a chance to talk with you at length about the steel guitar. You made a lot of friends up here, and I have a feeling you'll be back this way soon!

It seems like everything clicked this year. Even the weather was great! The quality of the music this year was exceptional.

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 5:33 am    

Doug if anything has to be done in the future it should be to make it a two day event.I couldn't get over the distance many of the players drove to do their 25 minute set up and play.So many drove for hours and as many as three states away or more. There were also others who have played and suported the show for years that gracefully sat out but you could tell they were itchin. Bill and yourself did a tremendous job of setting up this lineup and you gave me the best seat in the house.Many thanks to all of you for relighting a fire thats been smoldering and kept lit thanks to Country Music,the Steel Guitar and the Forum.Don't forget to support Frankie Caruso's Steel show coming up in Waltham and the Rhode Island Steel Guitar associations upcoming bash.

------------------
CJC

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 10:45 am    

Unfortunately, I couldn't stay too long, but what I saw and heard sure was good. Got to meet some fellow forum dwellers. Best of all, I got to introduce my 15 month old son to some great music. Can't wait for next year.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 11:42 am    

I want to thank Jim Casey for remembering the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Show on Sept. 23rd And Joe we would love to have you at the show.I want to also thank you for giving me the Idea about getting that BAD guy Bobbe Seymour, Just kidding Bobbe.Jim you are more than welcome to come to our show and I will get you up to sing.I want to thank Bobbe for talking to me about a good possibility that he will be at The R.I. Steel Guitar show. I will let you all know for sure after our meeting next tuesday the 24th. I did talk to a few of the guys and they and myself want to have Bobbe at the Show.I think there will be no problem with that even thou Bobbe told everyone at the Mass. bash that I was ugly.
Sam White
S-10 Fessenden double body Red, Blk Pad 3-4
S10 White Steel Guitar off white, gold sparkels 3-4 - Self built

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 18 July 2001 at 12:45 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 8:49 pm    

Sam, what has ugly got to do with true love?
My dog is ugly too but I love her.Besides,I don't think your really all that ugly,you look a lot better than ME! Yeh, I know, who doesn't! Sure is great to know you Sam,I just wish we lived closer together, We could have an ugly contest,but smily would win that one, hands down!
Bobbe-------(God loves the ugly too!).
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 3:19 pm    

Enjoyed the show. I can`t believe the talent in the local back-up band.
Bobbe Semour looked and sounded like a general on a battlefield of steels.
Congratulations to Bill Hankey for hosting a great show; and Doug Beaumier for fine playing and all the posting on the internet.