| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  yellow MS update icon
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2007 1:45 pm    

I want to know what updates are ready to download. I used to right click that yellow shield to see them but now the download screen comes up. How can I see what's there? I have winXP.

ron
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2007 2:09 pm    

Here's what I've got on my XP---I never know if it's the same on someone else's---

Go to your control panel (either from Start>Setting>Control Panel or from My Computer) and find Automatic Updates. Select "notify me but don't automatically download or install them".

I don't know how it happens but I've had this setting get changed on me and have to be reset.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2007 3:19 pm    

Microsoft has altered Automatic Windows Updates to version 2.0, or something other than what is was. The main file that changed is wups2.dll, which used to be wups.dll. Nobody was notified until the feat was accomplished, then all hell broke loose. In total nine critical files associated with the Windows Update Service were irreversibly altered. It is not unlikely that the changes you are experiencing with trying to view the available updates has something to do with these changes.

I want to warn you in advance that should any of you have to reinstall Windows XP, by performing an inplace "repair" upgrade, that because of the changes to the Windows Updates files, you will have to re-register the new WUPS2.DLL to get Windows Updates to work again. The command must be run from a command window. Goto Start > Run, type CMD and hit Enter. In the DOS Window that opens type, or paste these codes, hitting "Enter" after each line:
Code:

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
net start wuauserv
exit

Restart Windows, then run Manual Windows Updates to fetch all available updates, which will have been lost after "repairing" Windows.

More information about this issue is available from Microsoft, here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2007 7:51 pm    

Ron
I just double click the yellow shield and tell it custom install and it will show you what the downloads are. You can choose to install or not. Winston