| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pot Wiring Question
Dennis Graves

Maryville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 6:44 am    

I have a Sho-Bud volume pedal that I'm attempting to change the pot in(my first). Two of the wires are too short for the new pot.
What kind and size wire do I replace with? The old ones do not appear to be copper. Does it matter?
I have a Goodrich, less than 3 months old that I have to replace the pot also. It's been scratchy almost since day one.
I'm tempted to buy a Hilton...Would I like the sound or tone of them after being use to a pot?
Thanks for any help.

Dennis
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 7:49 am    

Dennis,

Here's a couple of pages of info that may help you:

Goodrich Pot Replacement

Goodrich LDR2 Review

Any good 18 - 20 gauge wire is fine. I usually use high quality stranded copper wire that won't turn green and corrode. For reference, the wire diameters are 18 gauge: 0.04", 20 gauge: 0.032".

I bought a Hilton pedal and will be recording with it soon and posting a review. I really prefer the sound of the pot pedals. Others prefer the electronic ones. Either one can be extremely reliable and produce a good tone for most people, but they will produce different tone character. The pot pedal not only rolls off the high frequencies more, it progressively delays the phase of the high frequency signals, which causes the sound to be somewhat different from the electronic pedals no matter how you adjust the amp settings. Either pedal can produce sparkling highs. You really need to try both pedals with your setup to decide. In any case it's good to have 2 pedals so you always have a backup one handy.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 1 Dec 2007 7:56 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dennis Graves

Maryville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 7:55 am    

Thanks Greg,

I would like to try a Hilton to see how I like it. But it's like everything else...have to spend the money, then if I like the "pot" ones better..then I'm stuck with it or sell it for less money than I gave for it. That's life in the big city.

Thanks again,
Dennis
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 9:23 am     hilton

Dennis I Have A Hilton You Can Come Down And Tryout Any Time. SONNY.
Dennis Graves

Maryville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 7:02 pm    

Thanks for the offer Sonny....Where is Elizabethton?
Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 12:43 am     Scratchy pots

Many times a scratchy pot can be cleaned with electronics or tuner cleaner by spraying it into any cracks or crevasses in the potentiometer housing, and rotating the shaft back and forth several times. It may save you some work.