| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New GFI Owner
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 5:11 am    

Hi Everyone,
Just to let you all know that i have just received a brand new GFI SD10 ULTRA in two tone(maple top and vintage wood sides).
This guitar is awsome!!i didnt think it could outplay my old LDG but i have had to eat humble pie on this one!!.The sustain,note definition and clarity has to be heard.Playing harmonics is so easy-I had to work really hard to get these on the ldg that I tended not to go for them in case all got was a dull thud-the GFI has harmonics coming out all over the place. At my last gig i played an entire song on harmonics-just because I could!!Self indulgent I know but what the hell.
I would recommend this guitar to anyone and this is from a sho bud player /owner for 30 years.
regards Dave
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 5:42 am    

Very interesting. I'm about to upgrade from the guitar I started on and was pretty well sold on purchasing a vintage instrument, probably a Sho-Bud. I may rethink that based on your post. Also, one can usually find a used GFI here on the forum for very reasonable $$$.

Is yours a keyless model?
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 9:38 am    

Dave,
Congratulations on your new GFI, they are great guitars both mechanically and sound wise. They also have an excellent back up service with Bob and Gene.
Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 10:08 am    

Hey Dave,
Welcome to the GFI family. I have been a GFI guy for 15yrs..IMO pound for pound, price for price, they are hard to beat.
Also, Gene and Bob can't be beat when it comes to service....Cya....Ronnie
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 10:18 am    

pictures, we want pitures haha

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 11:35 am    

Hi again,
In reply -the guitar is conventionally keyed and i will try and get some pics.-when my son comes home from uni.this weekend-be patient and I will get back to you--I may be able to play steel- but am not sure how to send pics over the net.
Allan when are you down Doncaster again-let me know and I will come and see you play if i can.
regards Dave
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 11:45 am    

Hi yet again,
I must say that this guitar has opened up my playing again---very much like buying a new electric guitar-they inspire you to reach out because of the sonic qualities.
The weight also is a joke- I could not believe how light it is compared to lugging my old LDG.
AnywayI have waxed lyrical enough to you all
Delighted Dave
Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 12:51 pm    

Dave
Congrads on the new GFI, you are now in the best hads you could be in from the steel guitar world!
I have made a living for my family the last 5 years with one of these great machines..
Always in tune, TONE TO THE BONE, and it wont break my back to get it to the gig.
Stop by the GFI booth in St. Louis Next year and meet some of the Fine Team from GFI.
Ronnie: How Ya doing buddy?

Mikey Smile
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 1:33 pm    

I love mine,, congrates! Brian if you come to one of my gigs I'll let you play mine. D-10 keyless..Funny about the harmonics, I have a hard time palm muting without adding harmonics because it wants to ring out so bad. great instrument.

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 3:06 pm    

Welcome to the GFI Family, Dave. I've been a GFI player/proud owner since 2004. I play a GFI Ultra D-10 and I love it! GFIs are great guitars!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2007 10:09 pm    

I'll chime in as an Ultra owner - GFI's seem to be very underrated for some unknown reason, because they combine precision mechanics, no perceptible cabinet drop and light weight with tone...REAL guitar tone, not cookie-cutter, dry, lifeless one-size-fits-all tone that steel manufacturers seem to be aiming for nowadays.

It's like a Fender on steroids with incredible sustain. As mentioned, the harmonic content is so juicy you can play with the bar in one spot and sound like you're doing all sorts of things just by varying your right hand position.

The MSA and Shobuds I went through before the GFI weren't even close in any category, except for pretty wood on the Shobud. I'll take tone (and stability) over cosmetics every time.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2007 6:07 am    

Hey Mike
Hope all is well for you.
Everything is about the same down here in BigD. I really hated to miss the Conn. show, but I was out w/CP, and it is the same story for Phoenix in January,
but I am clear for Dallas..
cya there?? Ronnie