| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Lawrence v's George L's pick ups
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 2:26 pm    

I searched this topic and couldn't find it so I thought Id put it up.Any thoughts?
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:38 pm    

I like the Bill Lawrence XR-16. Has a nice, smooth, full tone, no noise! I have one on my Williams E-9 guitar, and a few years ago had one on an MSA single 10 E-9. I tried a George L E-66 and to me, it had a grainy sound...
Larry Jamieson
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 9:25 pm    

My favorite pickup is the Bill Lawrence LXR-16,My least favorite is the George L's E-66 which I found very thin sounding,I also have a Lawrence on my C6th which is either a 710 or 910 not sure which but it's very nice also.Not to slam George L...nice folks good products just not the right one for me. Rolling Eyes
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Joe Calabrese

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 10:26 pm    

The Lawrence 705 I have in my Dekley sounds as good as any p/u I've heard by any mfg.

Joe
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=124287
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 10:44 pm    

I believe that what pickup sounds best in one particular make or model of steel guitar may not be the best sounding one in another-I had the opportunity to try out several different pickups in my MSA Millenium (which of course makes it easy to compare with the interchangeable pickup mounting) Thanks to Dyke Corson (and a second MSA Millenium on hand) I was able hear the differences side by side and swap pickups between necks and Milleniums-In the case of the MSA (to my ears) The George L's 10-1 is my favorite with George L's E-66 next best-The Truetone was good but for me the single coil sound (and hum) was not what I wanted to hear in a modern guitar-lastly the Bill Lawrence XR-16 just did not cut it compared to the others-No disrespect to B.L. who makes fine products I have used-They might be best in another horn-clearly not for me in my MSA though as it lacked volume, bass, and clarity of the others
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 6:31 am    

Quote:
Bill Lawrence XR-16 just did not cut it compared to the others-No disrespect to B.L. who makes fine products I have used-They might be best in another horn-clearly not for me in my MSA though as it lacked volume, bass, and clarity of the others
If an XR-16 had these problems there must have been something wrong with the pickup.
Hook

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 10:05 pm    

I do not know for certain that this particular B.L. XR-16 was defective-It was Dyke's pickup-He says he loves the sound of the XR-16 in his Carter-I have no reason to doubt Him about that-Like I said different pickups in different guitars-The pickup did function-just not nearly as good as the others in the two Milleniums and I believe Dyke concurred with me to that fact-there has been considerable previous Forum discussion on this-we can choose to disagree on what tone we like-IMHO it is all a subjective matter and the pickup is only a part of any players' overall tonal attributes-PW
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 10:18 pm    

I had a BL 712 in an MSA lacquer Universal I once owned, and I had a George L E-66 in a Carter D10 and a Sho~Bud S10. I liked the E-66 more, but many find that it has too much high end. I really liked it in both guitars.....very Emmons-like.....which is what it's supposed to do. The BL I didn't like as much. I found the tone too transparent. But apparently the BL 710 is to die for in an LDG.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 1:15 am    

i had a george L E66 PU on E9 on a Zum i had
i found it to be quite trebly
i replaced it w: a BL 710 which i found sounded great
& that's what i have on my zum D10 now
BL 710s ! Mr. Green
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 2:35 am    

I had a Lawrence Sidewinder (one of his first) in my Whitney S-12 for seven years. I re-installed the George L's 12-5 as the BL was too 'edgy' IMO for recording. It did well on gigs, but it was too hot for recording. I had to do something, so I opted to switch back to the tried-and-true George L's. I like the overall design of the Sidewinder, but had to finally opt out for the high-impedance mellowness of the G-L. I haven't looked back yet.
PRR
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 3:35 am    

I have Lawrence 710's on my Franklin. I tried a used E66, just to see the difference and it didn't have the clean overall response that the 710's do.

But, if the Lawrence 710 isn't adjusted correctly (distance from the strings) it can be trebly or overdrive.
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 4:16 am    

cheers for the thoughts

Last edited by Ben Hoare on 25 Nov 2007 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 8:31 am    

I have done some experimenting with different pickups in different guitars.

In my old laquer MSA both E66 and BL710 sounds fine.
Tried Truetones (wound to 17.500 i think)and didn't like it, too muddy.

On the Emmons legrande SKH the Truetones sounds perfect! More body than the original Emmons singlecoils.
I didn't like the sound i got from the 710's in the Emmons either. They kinda took "that Emmons tone" away.
(Yes,I know a lot of players use 710's in Emmons guitars and like them.)

My Carter sd10 came with a BL xr16 and sounded fine, a little microphonic though, so i tested a Truetone and liked it better. More clearity and a sound very similar to the Emmons.
Put on a PF-I and it has a round clear sound. It have stayed on.
I have a PF-II laying, and i guess i'll have to test it too.

I switched from PF-I(E9) and PF-II(C6) to BL710's on the Franklin i had before and though it was no big difference it gave a little more "metallic" bright tone. At first i didn't like the 710's in it, but i lowered them and that helped.

I've found height adjustment very important with the BL pickups.

Uffe
Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 9:28 am     pick-up distance from strings...

Hey all! Jack and Ulf bring up a very good and critical issue regarding pickup height adjustment. Upon receiving a new Williams "600" with L710's it seemed that the pick-up was a little to far away from the strings. Found that the closer it got, the less desirable the tone. Put it back very close to where it was to start with...maybe even a tad lower and it sounded like a different pickup(compared to my initial "tweak"). Pickups with "pole pieces" are quite sensitive and subject to undesirable overtones(anyone ever having adjusted pick-ups on a Stratocaster will know what I mean).So, you might want to do a little tweaking on your guitar...just to see(hear!)Respectfully submitted, RK

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 9:29 am    

I was on 'The Great Pick-up Search' for the longest time. The Lawrence XR-16 was number five and it brought the search to a successful conclusion. I'm not shoppong for pick-ups anymore.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2007 5:54 pm    

I've got the GL E66 on my JCH (E9) and it sounds fine, not thin or to much treble. Everybody has different taste of tone. I tried a BL 710 but there was a midrange tone I didn't like but, I'm thinking about trying it again, I have different equipment now and that might make a difference in how I hear it.

Tony
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 5:38 am    

I had a 98 Emmons Legrande II and at first it was the original single coils and that didn't work for me at all.I put the BL 710's in it about the time they first came out (I think)and that guitar came alive and zero noise. That was the first all pull I ever heard that I really liked. I put these same p-ups in my Carter that I have now (with BCT) and that guitar really cuts through with more than enough sustain and tonal qualities for me. I would like top try the XR-16's but I won't go through the trouble to change them just for an experiment. So far the BL 710 is the best p-ups I've found. I found that turning it as far away from the strings as I could get it made a lot of difference too.