| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Looking for first pedal steel !
David Lassiter

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 10:43 am    

I am looking for my first pedal steel, probably not any of the student models unless very reasonably priced so that I don't worry about trade/selling. I have seen the Carter and GFI and am wary I would want to trade up in a short time. I live 4+ hours from the nearest dealer/repair (Billy Cooper) so my criteria is value and mechanical soundness; stays in tune and does not need professional attention to make playable, in other words pretty much playable right out of the box so to speak, until I have more experience. I will worry more about tone after I can play a bit and don't know brand names enough to be biased. I would consider up to used GFI Ultra so that gives you an idea of my price range. If there is a chance to see the guitar in person, I live in eastern Virginia, nearest city is Virginia Beach within driving range of D.C. and Baltimore to the north and other points west and south. Advice as well as offer-to-sell is welcome!
Charlie Tryon

Glovertown Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 6:31 am     first guitar

David do yourself a favour and check out the Jackson Blackjack. These guitars are just great and priced well to boot.
Charlie

http://www.jacksonsteelguitar.com/

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 7:12 am    

Thank you Charlie. I looked at your your site, very nice. A true dollarwise apples-to-apples comparison is Jackson entry-level plus three levers and and case is par with GFI Expo, which is also touted as "professional". Do you happen to know of any particular upside to Jackson, or for that matter downside to GFI?
Charlie Tryon

Glovertown Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 2:56 pm    

David as far as the GFI goes all I know is Gene is a great builder and I have heard Mike Sigler play a EXPO and it seems to work fine and sound good. I really like the Jackson line of guitars and I have both a Commemorative and a Blackjack. Both of these guitars work and sound great. I would think that it would be personal preference on which one you buy. I will be trading my mica Blackjack for a lacquer one but again that is just my own personal pref. I like lacquer guitars. My Jackson guitars sound great IMHO.
Check out Chris LeDrew's write up in pedal steel section as he just got his.
Charlie

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 8:42 am    

My quest is over, thanks to all who responded. I just bought a used GFI Ultra with keyless. Have to jump in somewhere. As a newbie a big part of my decision was to get something I wouldn't have to tinker with (and I am not near a dealer/repair shop) and GFI seemed to fit the bill (not that other models don't!). If interested check out discussion "GFI Professional models" under Pedal Steel topic. It kicked off quite a response.
Tommy Wayne

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 10:23 am     New player

Congratulations and welcome to the club!
TW
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 5:00 pm     New Steel

Do yourself a favor and go see Billy Cooper's Steel Guitars, they are some of the best people that you could find to do business with and they will point you in the right direction.
Billy and Wanda are wonderful people and will treat you right.
Billy is a suberb player and can give you some tips that will help you on your way.
Why I believe it's to your advantage to deal with Billy Cooper is there will be no Shipping to worry about for damage, and if you need future help he's not that far away from you.
I lived in Chicago when I bought my first steel with no help, the closest was Nashville which I had to take the first steel and traded it and got a new Sho-Bud.
I'm not saying that there is no one else to help you, I think everyone on this forum are great people to deal with, and Bobbe Seymour in Nashville is another place to contact.
I was just thinking about how close you are to help if you needed it, Billy Cooper is right around the corner.
Bill
BJS Bars