| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National plug
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2007 3:29 pm    

Searches turned up lots of stuff on the amphenol cable, but nothing on the end that is threaded into the guitar itself.

A friend of mine has an old National S6. The internal wiring has come loose from the plug that screws into the guitar. The connecting cable is OK.

The connector is the part that the cable screws onto and has a knurled section where it meets the body of the guitar.

I don't see a ground. I'm guessing that the ground wire is connected to the bridge or one of the controls.

We'd like to repair this over this long weekend, so looking for input from guys who are familiar with these type plugs.

Being that this connector is threaded into the guitar body, I'm assuming that the pickup plate, etc. will have to be removed to access the wiring...desoldered somewhere from the controls so as to repair and reinstall the plug to the guitar, threaded back into the guitar, then reconnect at the pickup or controls, or is there an easier method? All help will be appreciated. Thx. JO.
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:06 pm    

Jerry,
You've got the right technique.
Just suck out the solder from the center contact, which is a rivet.
Thread the wire into it and resolder. I usually bend a small loop on the end of the wire so it makes good contact with the rivet.
The ground contact is usually a solder lug on the threaded end of the connector. However, if the body connector is a press fit, the lug may be on the mounting plate.
It is a simple repair and you've got it figured out.

Blake
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 5:10 am    

Thanks a lot for your input, Blake. The owners are a little nervous about any disassembly on this old axe, but that appears to be the only way.

'preciate it.
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 1:17 pm    

Jerry,
You could try just melting the solder on the center contact without taking it out of the guitar.
If the old solder is just cracked, and the wire is still there, it could be a fix without taking the guitar apart.
If the wire is broken beyond that, then disassembly is the only answer.

Blake