| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Promat steel guitars
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2007 8:42 pm    

How Many Own Or Have played A promat? How do they sound compared to a Emmons PP? Thanks Randy Question
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2007 3:21 am    

Hi Randy,

I DO NOT own a Promat (yet), but I did play one during one of my visits to Steel Guitar Nashville.

My impression and opinion is:

The guitar looks and feels Emmons PP in every respect, except for the name plate. Same great pedal and lever action and feel. Same comfortable height. Same weight/solid feel.

I play a 1973 D10 Emmons regularly, so I am familiar with the PP and all of it's attributes. Promat has them ALL, including the most awesome tone! Trust me, it is NOT in MY hands. If you like the Emmons PP tone, you will be very happy with the Promat PP tone.

If you do not care for the Emmons PP drawbacks ( real and/or imagined ), you will find the same issues on the Promat.

If you truly want to be impressed with the tonal qualities of the Promat, play it "unplugged". No amp, and just listen to the inherent resonance in the guitar, then try a couple of other guitars the same way. You will most likely notice a HUGE difference.

All of that being said, and considering that I am saving my pennies and dimes until I can get my own Promat, I would strongly suggest making the trip to see Bobbe and test drive the Promat before you purchase one. It's a lot of money to spend on an instrument that you have questions about, regardless of brand/style.

I'm sure that there are other forum brothers who have more stories and opinions.

Good luck.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2007 8:32 am    

These critters 'll cut through a bands
jumble of sound like anything.

Gorgeous sound. I played Damir's and loved it.
It played very well.

I have heard Bobbe play it and it is a super sound.

I just want to hear one through a Revelation preamp,
it must sound phenomenal like that.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2007 2:51 pm     Promat

Thanks Donald And Donald. Bobbe seymore could make a Broomstick with strings on it sound good. I have only heard good things about them and havent seen any for sale on the Forum. Maybe I can fall At Wallmart and get enough to buy One. thanks Wink
Jan Mulder

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 1:29 am    

Hi Randy

I own both brands but I love the sound and the pedal action of the Promat, seldom play the Emmons !

If you ever come to The Netherlands, you are welcome for a test drive!

Jan
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 7:01 am    

Nice pic of the classic black Promat!

Ah... wouldn't that be David and David???

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 8:03 am     Thanks

David and David and Jan Thanks . They sure look mighty good. Think i will go to WALMART. Laughing
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 8:32 am    

I am not at all familiar with these guitars. What is the changer like? Is it a Push-Pull mechanism, an All Pull, or something entirely different? By the look of the picture, it looks like an Emmons clone right down to the style of the fret board. Inquiring minds want to know. Rolling Eyes
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 9:16 am    

Larry,

A VERY VERY nicely done copy of the original Emmons Push Pull cut tail.
Jan Mulder

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 9:20 am    

Hi Larry,

This guitar is a Push/Pull, an exact copy of the Emmons guitar, with some improvements; hi quality materials and special selected “100 year old wood”.
Here's a picture under the hood.

Jan
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 2:29 pm     Promat

Thanks Jan . that case looks Great With the Combo lock. Really Nice lookin steel. Randy
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 7:34 pm    

If Emmons was still building classic PP's
and making newer parts with modern techniques etc,
this is pretty darned close to what they likely
would be building. IMHO

I am not a PP expert but I have played a few bad ones,
and played 3-4 set up perfectly by Tommy Cass
including John Davis's 'Blondie'.

And I have played Damirs 1st Promat.

My C6 copedent is a bit much for a PP to handle,
nature of the beast,
but I really liked the guitar and it sounded "great".
Damir said I sounded very good on it.

It is on my list of steels to own.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 11:55 am    

well,I was gone working for a few days so I missed this post here.

Jan, your guitar is an awesome sounding instrument,it is featured on the Promat web site as a pic and also background music was played on that guitar,congratulations.
I don`t know if the wood is 100 years old but I know that Mr.Papic goes in the woods Smile armed with his gadgets to search for old maple.

One person deserves a lot of credit for helping a Promat to come to US and that is Bobbe Seymour.The very first Promat I brought with me I took to Bobbe to check it out and the rest is history.I sold that one and every other I bought,it seemed I just couldn`t keep them,as of right now I have one in maple/mahagony ready and will try to buy back my black one,after that I`m not selling any of them again.This Two are staying with me.

Regardles of the fact that Mr.Papic an his family are my dearest friends,instruments he makes are of highest quality,they are beautiful and they have tone better than any other guitar I have ever plaid,IMHO.Of course,different strokes for different folks but the Promat is definately my cup of tea.

Db

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 4:52 pm     Wow

That looks like a work of art to me...Steel for a lifetime
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 2:08 pm    

I got my black D-10 promat back and can`t be happier,the tone kicks ass, right now I`m working on getting my maple/mahagony guitar here and hopefuly next year I will order a third guitar SD-10, wich will have red lacquer finish,4+5,fat back and also new and improved p/p changer.Hopefuly we will manage to bring those three guitars to St.Louis in `08 together with some catalogues and promo material.Watch for Promat booth at St.Louis next year,I hope to have some cookies and lemonade there for everyone.

Db

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 7:47 pm    

Average cookie consumption per steeler 3.

9,000 cookies!! you ARE ambitious! Smile

A Promat Booth, great idea.
Nothing like hands on and in your face.

Make sure you have some small amps
with, over and around the ears, headphones
for each steel, especially if you are
in the big room.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 8:52 pm    

Promat!
Believe me guys, a truly incredible guitar. And no, I don't sell them, but I do love them! Possibly the greatest new guitar availabile today, with the Emmons P-P itself being the best used guitar available today. HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
All this depends on what you as the individual want out of a steel guitar, there is no "one perfect guitar for all". There are many folks that I know that I would not recommend a P-P guitar for, some folks really just don't need it, or even know what it is.

And yes David, I sure agree with you 100% in your "It's NOT all in the hands" statement. The reason folks think I get a great tone out of anything (broom stick?) is really because I won't be caught playing a guitar that doesn't sound good. No, my tone isn't all in my hands, it's my choice of what I play and how particular I am about my equipment. Do you want great tone? Better have a great guitar, amp, cords, and don't screw it up with a lot of effects. No, I don't sell Emmons or Promat, but I do have ears and know good sound, and I thank you all.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 11:57 pm    

David and Bobbe,
for you two I will always have enough cookies and lemonade my friends.
David,
thank you for all the kind words you said about this instrument and Bobbe what can I say to you my friend?I only took my first Promat to you to see what you think,the rest was history.You did more for this guitar than anybody else ever.You are the best friend push pull guitar ever had.I was just talking about you with Mr.Papic yesterday and we decided to get you a little appreciation gift for all you have done for the Promat.It will take some time to put it together but it will be worth it.
I didn`t have idea until yesterday,but there is some guys in US who own 3 Promat guitars!!!I don`t even have 3 of them myself nor does Mr.Papic.I hope to have my 3rd one next year tho.Mr.Papic can`t have one because as soon as he builds one for himself somebody begs him to sell it and there you go.But look,this is how I think,Mr.Papic is 73 years old,right now he makes 3-4 guitars per year,how he gets older he will probably build less and less guitars and pretty soon it is going to be impossible to get a new one at all.And I have never seen used Promat for sale.I think this guitars will become very rare and expensive in a few years.The way I see it is,if you like p/p guitars,get you a new Promat while you can.Or two...or maybe three LOL....

Db

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:47 am    

Well Damir, Dusan is already a legend, he will live forever in the minds that love great steel guitars the way the immortal Paul Bigsby, Shot and the Jackson Brothers, Bruce Zumsteg, Zane Beck, Ron Lashley and several others have. Plus the fact that he is a wonderful person.

Bobbe
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 1:29 am    

thank you Bobbe for nice words,you don`t have idea how much Dusan thinks of you and respects you.He is same as you, a push pull fan, and I wish you guys could meet one day,I can try to get him up here next year for ISGC in St.Louis,I`m talking about that to him but we`ll see.Dusan is already a legend in Europe and people would come to his house from all over the Europe to order their guitars.He get letters from players from all over the world every day,thanking him for a great instruments,But,as you said,p/p is not for everyone and once in awhile there is a customer who complains about something,but those complains don`t really go against Promat but p/p sistem overall.People who never had a p/p guitar and then spend 5,6 or 7.000 dollars on guitar don`t understand that p/p mechanics are different than all pull.It`s not that Promat has little stiffer pedals because guitar was not build good but because stiffer pedals are characteristics of p/p mechanism,and so are some other things.p/p is not for everyone but only for the ones who can hear the differents.If player can`t hear the differents between p/p and all pull guitar than he should stick with an all pull.I can`t,after playing Promat go back to all pull,I would never be happy with a tone,so I`m dummed,that`s why I ordered three of them,LOL

Db

Scotland.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 5:16 am    

Damir,
Push Pull guitars can be set up to have very easy pedal action just ask Jan Mudler about his Promat. Maybe not as easy as a Mullen but certainly as easy as most all pull guitars. All it takes is a knowledge of push pull mechanism and a bit of patience. And yes I agree Dusan builds great guitars.
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 7:34 am    

Actually the push-back force of the Push Pull pedals is "one" of the things I like. It allows that "squeezeing" of the pedals as Jeff Newman just to say, to give it that distintive sound. I have an all pull guitar(non-Emmons)that is considered one of the best on the market today and the lightness of the pedal action is the thing I dislike the most on it.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 8:05 am    

I don`t have any problems with Promat guitars,pedals are not as soft as lets say,Mullen but nothing terrible.People always find something to complain about,like Bobbe said,there is no one perfect guitar for all.Actually,I too, as you Dave, like little stiffnes on the pedals,another thing people complain but I like, is weight of the guitar,I like heavy guitars that are solid and don`t move when I play.

Allan,you need to get another one and keep it,you sounded really good on that guitar.

Db