| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody play the older style licks anymore??
Dan Meadows

Texas
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 11:24 pm    

I heard Bobbe Seymour playing some "Crazy Arms" and he was throwing in the licks that made me fall in love with the pedal steel. I believe it is on youtube. Does anyone play what I will call the 1950's and early 60's style of pedal steel anymore? Like the pedal steel sounds and licks on Webbs "I'm tired" or to think of it
Ricky's for that matter which was similar to Webbs. And
Martys "Singing the Blues". You know the sound and licks I'm talking about. The end of the break of "I'm Tired" after the fiddle. Is anybody in a band that regularly plays this type of pedal steel licks and sound or is that over now. Are those licks becoming a lost art due to the fact the style of country music has changed so much? I would really like to know from those who played then and now or from whoever knows. I'm a beginner without even my first PSG yet but I have always thought the pedal steel on those older records was very very cool. Like a roller coaster ride up and down on the above mentioned songs.

Dan
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 11:46 pm    

I've only been playin a very short time but have loved those sounds since I was a kid. I love tryin to learn to play that stuff. It's all good.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 3:23 am    

I didn't know there were any other style licks. As all I'm playing is "traditional" country music, those are the licks that fit.
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 7:22 am     Older licks ??

By older licks I thought you meant the Roy Wiggins , Jerry Byrd and Don Helms licks !! Now those are the ones that bring back memories of the old, real country before pedals !!!! Eddie "C" ( the ole geeze )!!
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 7:29 am    

Older licks are the only ones I know. I never did learn any of the new ones. I even like to put in some of those ting-a-ling licks ala Little Roy Wiggins. Very Happy
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 7:38 am    

Keith Hilton has a new cd of honky tonk songs. Really good country music. You can order it from him.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 7:41 am    

I sometimes do a old lick on some of the NEW COUNRTY that our band plays. I change some of the cover licks.Not taking anything away from new country music, Smile but adding a little traditional flavor. Paul Franklin does that occasionally on some of his recordings.Joe
www.willowcreekband.com
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 8:26 am    

Since "Little Roy" was my inspiraton to take up steel guitar, I still throw a lick or two of his now and then. Same way with the other older ones mentioned. Never thought about it being "older" licks, just part of my bag of licks that I use.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 5:59 pm    

What Joe and Jack said. Jody.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 6:19 pm    

I do, in fact the band that I play around the Pacific Northwest with do nothing but old country and western. We do tons of Ray Price shuffles too. Nothin newer then 1980-except some Ricky Skaggs and Randy Travis, and Dale Watson. I love to play those old Day, Emmons and Drake licks.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 6:41 pm    

Absolutely. That style of playing never goes out of style, to me. I don't view it so much as licks, but an approach to the music. It's more chordal than single-note hot licks, and is an important part of what brought me to the instrument.

In fact, when I play with younger alt-country bands, I think they expect more of the older style playing, and are put off by more modern lick-oriented playing.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 8:39 pm    

Dave-right. They may call them "Older licks", but they were the "Real Country Deal" with more chordal licks. Those were some great years....al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 9:04 pm     Are We Using Any Of The Older Licks

Very Happy Very Happy
You bet we are using all of the older licks and riffs of the 50's, 60's; 70's, and 80's. Like my buddy Eddie Cunningham, we started on the Lap steels; many of us still do some; but many of us have naturally gone to pedal steel. Guys like Little Roy, Jerry Byrd; Don Helms, Buford Gentry, and many more; all enticed us to take up this grand instument. One of my favorite Forumites whom plays a mighty fine steel guitar; a modern MSA and still can do wonders on an older " RICKY",is our one and only, Vern Hester. Makes the hair rise on the back of my neck. And I'm certain there are many others whom can play all these old licks you mentioned at the beginning of this thread.. Thanks for asking, Bernie Whoa! Whoa!

Kansas
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 9:16 pm    

I always loved the old Pete Drake licks.

Not to mention the early Lloyd Green & the early Buddy Emmons stuff.

Casey
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 10:03 pm    

What do the new licks sound like? I'm serious.

Drew
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 3:33 am    

OK.

Let's see your favorite "older style lick"!
Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 4:59 am     Old Licks.

Bernie,
You have just made my day!!!
Thanks
Vern
Tony Farr

Madison, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 5:31 am    

Now if you love the OLDER licks, well I have 4 cd's that only have the older licks on them, just 10.00 each. Just send me an email, please. Very Happy Rolling Eyes
John McGlothlin

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 9:20 am    

I am one for a lot of the older style licks on pedal steel like the traditional E9th style that was done by Hal Rugg, Weldon Myrick and Sonny Burnnet. The 60s and 70s type. One of them is a pretty ascending lick done by Curly Chalker on a Hank Thompson tune called Ages And Ages Ago...its in the second verse where Curly on the E9th neck uses the palm blocking and man is it beautiful. That older style is what got me interested in pedal steel and it is the main trademark of steel guitar. And all the fabtabulous playing done on the Connie Smith songs by Weldon.
David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 2:03 pm    

There are some old licks on my guitar, from the dog I think,OH MY MISTAKE,THAT IS DROOL!
Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 5:57 pm     I Use some of them every night..

And when I them, people comes up and say
"Man, you ought to be in Nashville...Those guys out there now just don't play like that anymore.!
I love it!
Dan Meadows

Texas
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 6:14 pm    

Thanks! You have answered my question and am I ever glad that "THAT" sound, licks or style??.. is still being played. I would love to hear a band do a late 50's tune let's say and the pedal steel plays through it the way it was on the original. Don Warden on the Porter Wagoner Shows did a bang up great job on the pedal steel. He had that sound that to me was so cool to listen to. I use the word licks again for lack of a better term but he had such an appealing sound to my ears. I loved his intros and breaks. The original Porter version of Satisfied Mind had some good ones. Don seemed to really cut loose on the coolest of licks on the show compared to the same song you would hear on the recording. Different player on the record?

Dan
Jim Harper

Comanche, Oklahoma, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 6:34 pm    

Older lick,s is all i know. I stole many of Little Roy,s lick,s and still use them today. When i was at the studio in Nashville the engineer came up and ask me if i wanted a job> he said he could use me every day and i told him i can,t play steel like many do in Nashville now and he said that is why i would like for you to stay. I told him no i was going back to Okla.so yes i use older lick,s all the time==Jim Harper
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 9:50 pm    

Guys, you can't go wrong with Tony Farr's CDs. He is a real fine picker. One of the un-sung heroes of pedal steel. Jody.
Dan Meadows

Texas
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 10:34 pm    

Jody, I saw that but thought he was kidding. Embarassed
Are the CD's instrumental only and are they older songs?

Dan