| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Framus ?????????????????????????
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 9:30 am    

Click Here
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 10:18 am    

Hi Johan, Interesting PSG. It looks like it might be quite heavy.
Never heard of a Fender/Framus steel guitar before.

Roger
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 11:01 am    

It doesn't look like any Fender I've ever seen.

England
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 12:15 pm    

Framus did make steel guitars sometime ago. Not that good and rather heavy, They also made normal six string guitars which were quite good. I think they were Dutch company..http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/infos/info.php?katID=5180&cl=EN
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 12:32 pm    

This is undoubtedly a Framus. The question is whether the Fender nameplate was added later. Did Fender ever have a contract with Framus, like the one they had with Sho-Bud, to make Fender-branded pedal steels?

A professional D-10 with 8 pedals and 4 knee lever was state of the art in the early 70's. This looks like a very cool vintage instrument to me.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 12:58 pm    

Dieses ist nicht eine Fender Guitarre, dieses ist ein Framus FS2000.

Cool
Peer Desmense

Netherlands
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 1:40 pm    

My first pedal steel was a Framus like the one in the advertisement.
Obviously, this Framus was denied by the owner for he changed the name into Fender. (You didn't want tp be seen with a Framus) Only strange thing: they originally came with just two knee levers.

Peer
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 2:08 pm    

Framus were a "GERMAN" make. I'd seen a couple of Framus steels in the now defunct Sho-Bud shop in London in the mid 70's. They made a nice electric six stringer called Framus "Nashville" which was kinda Gretsch looking in a lovely cherry sunburst, gold plated hardware, and great combination of tones.

http://www.jamguitars.co.uk/framus.htm

Micky Byrne United Kingdom
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 7:44 am    

Yes, they are German. You needded a sledgehammer to push the pedals:0
I had one too. Believe it or not, Bill Laurence was involved in building the pick-ups. The only good thing on that steel is it's sound ..
JJ
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 8:08 am    

I remember seeing ads for Framus 30 years ago. The ads also featured a fellow named Frank Baum, I believe of German nationality. I also remember hearing and reading stories about Frank Baum and Framus steel guitars. The pic of the Framus on Ebay looks akin to the Sho-Bud fingertip changer mechanism.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 9:21 am    

Quote:
Did Fender ever have a contract with Framus, like the one they had with Sho-Bud, to make Fender-branded pedal steels?

Nope. The logo on that one was added by someone.

Framus is quite well-known in the six-string world. Not all that many instruments make it across the pond, but they are known for pretty high-quality stuff. Jan Akkerman of Focus was one of the big-name endorsees back in the late 70's/80's.

Click the link, then "other", then "pedal steel" - pretty interesting.

http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/site/site.php
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 9:48 am    

There was a Framus booth at the 2006 NAMM show. Probably not the same company, but an Asian company reissuing the Framus line. I didn't see them at this year's show, but they might have been there and I missed them.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 4:59 pm    

Hi Tommy, In the early 70's my band would Pop over the English Channel to back American artiste doing floor shows on the American air bases all over Germany, and on one occasion I am positive Frank Baum was playing in the house Band with a G.I. band because his name was mentioned back stage by other musicians regarding the steel player. I was a complete beginner in those days and all I remember was that he was playing a D-10. I never saw the make as it was a dark stage, could well have been a Framus as this was about 1970. If memory serves me right he was quite a large man with a moustache, and kinda sat back as if in an arm chair to play his steel instead of sitting upright. Getting back to that Framus guitar for sale...sure looks in good condition for it's age......like me Very Happy ...and does indeed look like a Sho-Bud finger tip. At that very gig a G.I. offered me a Sho-Bud crossover. I didn't have the 300 bucks he was asking Sad remember it was 1970/71

Mad Micky Byrne United Kingdom www.mickybyrne.com
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 5:41 pm    

When I was in Germany in the US Army in 1959-60 I didn't take a guitar with me so I bought one over there which was a Framus "Hollywood" solid body. It was shaped like a Les Paul except the body was flat like a Tele. I remember it had two single coil pickups that sort of resembled old Gretsch pups. It had a nice tone as I recall and played very well. I sold it when I left and wish I'd have kept it.....JH in Va.

Nashville
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 11:31 pm    

Micky,
Thank you so much for your reply post.
$300. for a Sho-Bud crossover was definately a bargain. My dad gave $600. for my first pedal steel guitar in or around 1970 at the Baldwin music store in Louisville.

Last edited by Tommy White on 18 Nov 2007 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 2:37 am    

Hi again Tommy, The reason that particular G.I. gentleman on that airbase was offering me that Cross over Sho-Bud for only $300 was because he was ordering an Emmons D-10 via the P.X. I'm not sure what that ment, but I believe American servicemen could order stuff via the P.X. as they could get a good discount on most things!! I wonder if that still exist today ?? Wink sorry for diverting from the Framus, but had to share with you as those early days were good for me too Smile

Micky Byrne United Kingdom
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 1:43 pm    

I have a Framus banjo. It has "Made in Germany" on it. It must have been made for the British market, or otherwise why would the inscription be in English ?
Peer Desmense

Netherlands
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2007 8:57 am    

It's a matter of good common sense to not indicate "Gemacht in Deutschland"but to use the English(worldwide used) language.
I think they do so all over the world so why wouldn't Framus do this?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 2:58 pm    

Peer Desmense wrote:
It's a matter of good common sense to not indicate "Gemacht in Deutschland"but to use the English(worldwide used) language.
I think they do so all over the world so why wouldn't Framus do this?

I guess so. I feel embarrased that English-speaking people rarely bother to learn other languages. In particular, nobody outside of Benelux bothers to learn Nederlands/Vlaamse, so Netherlanders learn the languages of all their neighbors, and have become the finest linguists on the planet. Unfortunately, if like me you are English and you go to Amsterdam to improve your "Dutch", the moment you open your mouth they recognise your English Accent and respond in English !

Eens had ik en vriendintje die Vlaamse was. Zij woont in Antwerpwen, een ik reisde van Birmingham naar Antwerpen om twee tijden per maande. Maar het veel dur was ! Nu, wonen in California, niemand hier spreekt Nederlandse, zoals ik spreek niet erom over dertig jaaren. Het spijt mij als ik schrijven slechts maar ik schrijf zonder (niet met ?)woerdboek. Embarassed
Bill Duve

Limestone .New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 4:33 pm    

I had a Framus archtop with a clip on pickup in 59 when I was stationed in Baumholder..Sweetest sounding thing I ever owned till a car wreck ended my affair with it.
On the other hand that steel looks more like an upright piano...
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 5:05 pm    

I've modified the title of this topic for posterity.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:15 pm    

Hi Mickey - I think there is a picture of Frank Baum in either Winnie Winstons book, or one of Scottys books and he is definitely playing a Framus. I have seen one of these guitars in the flesh, a guy in Auckland had one for sale years ago (probably still got it) - I must say it was a bit of a monster, in size, and it was a bit of a disaster area in the undercarriage as well - probably what one would describe as a real "Dunger"

I doubt the guy could give it away it was so bad Whoa!
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:50 pm    

Micky and Tommy,
I seem to recall an article in a steel guitar magazine about Frank Baum with alot of pictures. And yes, he was playing a Framus steel in some of the pics. He also had his steel set up on an odd angle, as Micky referenced.
I'm going to have a look through my mound of paper and see if I can find it.
-John
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 7:19 pm    

I read about Frank in the Steel Guitar World mag and it's a wonder his steel didn't fall over he had such a tilt on it. I enjoyed the article on him and read several times and probably will again.

Tony
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 12:30 am    

here's a pic of Frank playing his Framus -- it was in Scotty's Anthology book - enjoy !! he was a bit of a snappy dresser too ha !!