| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  recommended 12" speakers?
Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 8:55 am    

I have an old Fender Dual Showman head in a 2x12" cabinet, in need of repairs (including a blown speaker). I'm thinking it could be a real nice steel amp if I fixed it up. Any recommendations for 12" speakers for what is basically a Fender Twin with no reverb?

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 12:02 pm    

Dave
I have a couple of Emminence Commonwealth 15"
speakers that were cloned after the old JBL130's
I have one in a cab with a Twin Rev and
it sounds great.
They offer that same design in 12" too.

They offer a good warranty too

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 12:09 pm    

This is worth looking at.I bought two 12" speakers from him and they sound very good.The price is right. PJ

david@warehousespeakers.com
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 1:38 pm    

Two JBL D120fs or a couple of Weber Californias
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 1:45 pm    

I own and use Weber California ceramic speakers a lot--I have quite a few--and I definitely like and recommend them. However I recently got a hugely enthusiastic report on the Weber Neo speakers---described as even more JBL-ish than the Calis and absurdly lightweight. I just don't have any speaker holes to fill right now, otherwise I'd be trying them for myself. Not cheap, btw.
Don Davis Jr

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 2:52 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
I own and use Weber California ceramic speakers a lot--I have quite a few--and I definitely like and recommend them. However I recently got a hugely enthusiastic report on the Weber Neo speakers---described as even more JBL-ish than the Calis and absurdly lightweight. I just don't have any speaker holes to fill right now, otherwise I'd be trying them for myself. Not cheap, btw.

I was under the impression (from Ted's website) that the Weber Neos weighed around eight pounds each, where most of the other neo's seem to run in the four pound range.

I guess they're light compared to JBL's or the Cali's, but not from my perspective. Eight pounds is a little heavier than the the stock Utah's that I'm looking to replace in my '71 Twin.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 3:12 pm    

I just put an EV SRO coffee can 12" speaker on a scale, just for fun. 19.8 lbs. Makes the neo's 8 lbs. sound like levitation. But I stand corrected, Don---I hadn't seen that weight spec for the Weber NeoMag. I just assumed that they were all featherweights. I also see that the Cali is 11 lbs. I guess it's all a matter of how one's back is feeling on a given day as to how jazzed one's going to get about a few saved pounds. Saving 6 lb. on a 2X12" cab going from Calis to Neos doesn't sound all that significant.
The 15" Kappa I got from Tom Bradshaw practically needs a brick on top of the Marrs cab to keep the whole thing from floating away.
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 3:45 pm    

I have got quite a few amps, and speakers. EVM's SRO's,Celestions, JBL D-120F (pristine originals) JBL E-120's, Weber California, and JBL D-120F's reconed by Mr. Woody Woodell. The Woody Woodell recones are my favorites, hands down. If you can find a set of D-120F's that need reconing send them to him. You won't be disappointed. I have another set being reconed by him at the moment. As good as it gets.
Lefty
Don Davis Jr

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 5:34 pm    

I'll tell you, I never thought I'd see the day when a speaker's weight would be a factor in what to load a cab with, but at 58 that time is nigh!

I'm thinking now I'll just recone the blown stock Utah and wait a little while for this Neo thing to shake down a little more. I know the JBL's are considered best, and others better, but I honestly never thought the OEM Utah's sounded bad.

I was going to use the Circuit Shop in MI, but if anyone knows a better reconer I'd love to hear.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 7:12 am    

Jensen Neo-12

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 2:10 pm    

Any other Jensen Neo users out there? The price (and weight!) sure look right. I was at our local wonderful shop (Willie's American Guitars in St Paul) looking for potential steel amps, and another old Dual Showman in a 1-12" combo cab just KILLED everything else. So my old Dual Showman is definitely getting refurbished!

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2007 5:26 pm    

I don't think you can go wrong with the EV12L's. I built a cabinet with two EV12S' that I am playing through, and they sound great. The 12L's are still availlable, but the 12S's are discontinued. They have a shorter cone, and are voiced more for guitar. I constantly read here about the weight of amps and speakers, I think for now that science is on the side of heavy magnets. My EV's will reproduce the exact signal that they are fed. I understand that the 6 string players rely on speaker distortion to get the sound they want. The steel guitar needs to have clean sound, (with no speaker breakup), to give it its distinctive voice. I have worked to achieve clean sound for years, in all of my speakers, and EV has always come through.