| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wed April 11- ABC Eyewitness News
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2001 3:12 pm    

Ok, so I won't be playing steel guitar,but I will be interviewed in my store (NYC) as channel 7 will be doing a segment on Easter hats. Yes,that's what I do,manufacture hats. The taped interview will air between 5:30 - 6:00 PM. Finally, my fifteen minutes of fame........

------------------
Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2001 5:55 pm    

Will we see you nationally Howard, or is that NYC only. If local only, if you take the newsperson hostage or something, maybe we'll all get to see you. Best of luck.

Regards,
HH

HowardR

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2001 7:08 pm    

Don't know if this will be national. They're taping tomorrow at 10:30AM. I'll find out then and post it. Great idea,taking a news person hostage. It would make for a good story as I was a postal worker many years ago.

------------------
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2001 7:44 pm    

Anyway you could be wearing a "Got Zum" T-shirt, or have an "Emmons" coffee mug on your table, or something when they interview you? Either that, or you could just slip something into the conversation. How's this for starters:

Interviewer: Howard, how did you get started in the hat business?

Howard: Well, y'see, I always loved wearing hats, ESPECIALLY WHILE I PLAYED STEEL GUITAR. So, when the opportunity came along to work in this hat company, well I was a natural for it.

Interviewer: I see. And how long have you been making hats?

Howard: Well, let me think here. I QUIT PLAYING STEEL GUITAR IN ABOUT 1994 and started with the hat company about a year later, so... I guess it would have been 1995.

...You get the picture, Howard. I'm sure you can get us some good press if you try! Remember... we'll be watching!
HowardR

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2001 7:39 am    

Jim, that's so funny,you have a good sense of humor. This will air in the tri - state region,however it could be picked up nationally if it's found to be of interest. I could be competing with the farmer from Iowa who has a two headed hog or something, so it will remain to be seen.

------------------
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2001 8:11 am    

I had an interview about the Apollo landing on the moon. The local NBC affiliate came to my home and did an interview. They told me it would air on the following Monday evening local news and would be fed to NBC for use, if they wanted it, on the evening news. During the weekend JFK Jr's plane crashed and the Monday news was mostly about the plane crash. Never got my 15 seconds...
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2001 8:30 am    

HowardR,

Video tape the interview so you can make copies for us.

JPJ
Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2001 9:17 am    

Those news guys can be something else. Apparantly my hands were on the evening news in Dallas during the Steel Guitar Jamboree. Here we have a place full of some of the greatest steel guitar players in the country. The news guys arrive at the hotel, walk into the convention area and film the first guy they see playing a guitar. Me outside the Carter booth. The guy comes over to me, tells me I ain't playing loud enough, then starts tweaking the controls on the amp!!! Finshes filming, \then they all leave. (I think John Fabian still thinks it was me that screwed with the controls)
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2001 9:43 am    

CNN/TIME Network spent 4 hours taping and interviewing my daughter at her home (pertaining to her survival after being shot seven times in the San Francisco shooting where eight died) I notified all the relatives and everyone else I knew so they could watch it, but when her segment finally aired it was edited to about 30 seconds to make room for the "big" story in Florida about the Presidential election recount. www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 23 April 2001 at 04:06 AM.]

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 3:41 pm    

Yeah, sometimes those highly paid newspeople just don't know a good story when they smell one.....
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 9:18 pm    

Hey Jack, don't feel too bad. I was in radio for better than 20 yrs, (sometimes doing the news) and I didn't get my 15 either HE HE HE.

STILL WAITIN' TOO!!!

------------------
If it feels good. do it.
If it feels Country,
DO IT TWICE
JPP

[This message was edited by John P.Phillips on 22 April 2001 at 10:20 PM.]

Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2001 10:42 am    

Hi HowardR:

Did the TV news interview help your business out?

It's probably difficult to really tell but if the telephone started "ringing off the
hook," that's a good indication.

I'm very pleases that you were able to get this type of local media exposure.

I hope that your Easter hat business went very well for you.

By the way, I still own you several e-mail replies. I'll try to get to them this weekend.

Best regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR