| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Broken "Promises"
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 4:13 am    

I'm thinking that there are a multitude of broken promises made to ourselves to do this or that in earnest while in practice. Some of the promises are broken by unsuccessfully achieving goals, that are associated countless times with minor frustrations. There is something peculiar about determination. Not everyone can be found to be linked to the representative groups of determined individuals.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 4:42 am    

Self discipline is key. Using time constructively for practice is the ultimate in time management. Sometimes we all set out in good faith to sit down and learn something new, and end up playing stuff that we already know.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 7:52 am    

Bill, sometimes people make promises under a certain set of conditions. When conditions change, it effects those promises as to whether or not they can be kept... Neutral
Phil Halton

Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 8:12 am     Re: Broken "Promises"

"Some of the promises are broken by unsuccessfully achieving goals, that are associated countless times with minor frustrations. "

Forgive me for asking, but how does one go about "unsuccessfully achieving" a goal? Is this doubletalk, or am I simply not educated enough to understand this? I've got a couple friends with PhD's, maybe I should run this past them. Phew! Shocked

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 8:47 am     Broken Many Promises !!

Bill , I used to promise myself that I would learn "tab" and to read music !! Still hasn't happened !! Too late now !! You can't teach an old dog new tricks !! Eddie "C" ( the old geeze )
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 11:29 am    

Could 'unsuccessfully achieving' be 'successfully underachieving'?
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 11:59 am    

I think a burning desire to do something is the secret,if it's playing an instrument,playing pool,football,baseball,auto racer,becoming a docter or lawyer etc,if you have to FORCE yourself to practice,you won't do as well,When I was a kid about 8 years old, I was obsessed with wanting to play the guitar,On my summer break while all my peers were out playing ball,going camping,etc,I was putting in 12 to 14 hours a day learning to play[after my fingers stopped bleeding]it got better,When school was in session would take my guitar to school and play it at recess,not bragging but did become a decent guitar player,because I wanted that MORE than any thing else,If you really WANT to learn,practice will be a joy,not a chore,don't you know.

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2007 12:29 am    

"Don't make promises you can't keep" is a good start. "Do what you have to do" is a good finish. If that doesn't seem to have the gusto, try the Nike approach: "Just do it."

Bill Hankey wrote:
Not everyone can be found to be linked to the representative groups of determined individuals.

In other words, "Not everyone has determination," correct?
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2007 2:41 am     promises

I think one has to be honest with themselves before anything. Sometimes we make promises and everything works out fine. Other times, they don't for whatever reason. I believe "Never Giving Up" is the phrase I choose to go by on a day to day basis. I've always had the desire to be a better steel player and continue to strive to be better. Steel guitar is a life long obsession for most players. The desire to learn more and play better to me seems to work better than other method I've found in 36 years of studying PSG. It's hard to make yourself sit down for a certain period of time regularly when you have other things to do that are more pressing at the time. But when I do sit down to play or just checkout a guitar, then I can usually spend as much time as I want without being worried about something else.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2007 3:10 am    

Like the hometown dentist, I'm not deliberately touching sensitive issues, or poking at nerve endings. Most steel guitarists possessing different levels of learned playing techniques, in producing tones, thrive on sociabilities that often develop into sustaining friendships. There seems to be an universal gathering of mind-boggling interpretations, expressed to counter the lack of progressiveness; including the nature of self-made promises that interact accordingly with disrupting attitude changes. Chances to learn from the musical approaches by fellow musicians, stands as the ideal method to strip away any doubts, that may exist, concerning neighboring abilities. It is fascinating to spend much time absorbing the musical techniques of others, and to view those determinations at closer ranges. The incidentals of the quiet approach, of making promises through a vague transmission of thoughts, is born of a natural tendency, to ascribe to the wonders of memory. I can see by the brevity of Richard Burton's comment that he commands a position of exactness. The benefit in this instance of clarification of innocent ramblings, positions oneself to revising many trivialities, which may prove to be a work order. Inane comments have the potentialities to evoke criticisms.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2007 10:27 am    

Promising yourself something is the early signs of insanity. You talk to yourself. Then you lie to yourself and then you start believing your lies.
We are driven by desire. We as humans exist because we desire sex and desire food and etc.
I didn’t get up in the mornings and go to work because I promised my self I would do so. I went to work because I had to pay for my desires.
I could go on for hours with this but I’ll just simply state “you either want it or you don’t want it and no amount of promising will change it.”
Duane Reese

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2007 11:00 am    

The problem with making yourself promises is that letting yourself down isn't unpleasant enough to keep you from doing it. Letting others down is.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 1:45 am    

In the antiquated Henry Ford Model "T", the firing order depended on a series of magnets and coil arrangements. Similarly, the messages here on this forum, containing indiscreet excerpts of nonsense, intermingled with kindness and direction, shows repeatedly, that the converging of "cranky" individuals remains a problem. Finding oneself sifting through the written words of members who trample down pure logic, sparks a determination to make promises to reduce such activities.
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 4:07 am    

huh? Winking
James R. Cole

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 4:59 am    

If someone promises NOT to make a promise they can't keep, are they making a promise they can't keep?
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 7:34 am    

Bill with all due respect, IMO, your "pure logic" would confuse even Mr. Spock ...... Alien
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 7:44 am     administrative jargon

Huh?

Quote:
Similarly, the messages here on this forum, containing indiscreet excerpts of nonsense, intermingled with kindness and direction, shows repeatedly, that the converging of "cranky" individuals remains a problem.

That is exactly why one should strive to keep their messages direct and to the point

"Words of wisdom" are not helpful, if they are shrouded with whimsical phrasing, and flowery words!

"While reminiscing about my younger days this morning, it has occurred to me that my level of understanding the steel guitar has been on a ten year plateau. While this is somewhat disheartening, nevertheless, it is the love of the instrument that fuels my determination to continue the journey"

EQUALS

I've been thinking lately that my steel playing has not improved much these last few years, but I love playing it, so I'll keep plugging on.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 12:00 pm     Re: administrative jargon

Quote:
"While reminiscing about my younger days this morning, it has occurred to me that my level of understanding the steel guitar has been on a ten year plateau. While this is somewhat disheartening, nevertheless, it is the love of the instrument that fuels my determination to continue the journey"

EQUALS

I've been thinking lately that my steel playing has not improved much these last few years, but I love playing it, so I'll keep plugging on.

Curt. Your synopsis of the above is plain English, something that we campaign for in the UK. Perhaps we can rely on you to carry out further translations for us in the future when some of us are trying to unravel the pontifications. Having said that, it is fun to read the mangled sentences and paragraphs. Smile
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 1:18 pm    

Ken B.,

Having the ability to discredit others by labeling a reply as ambiguous or illegible, distorts factual data, and lacks a sense of direction. On this side of the "pond" a common practice is to recognize "hogwash". I believe that I've reached the level of having the ability to participate in exchanges, that contribute to worthwhile messages.
Duane Reese

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 2:34 pm    

Bill, we do appreciate your input, but could you please dumb it down a shade, so that it's easier to decipher?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 2:50 pm    

Duane,

Thanks for the advice. It becomes a bit frustrating since most of the issues pertaining to steel guitars, have slackened to small percentages, and the will to learn is digressing.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 3:21 pm    

Bill - I've said it before. Some of your posts have really interesting main topics and are thought provoking. However, they are sometimes marred by an eccentric style of writing that frequently leads one to ask "what the hell is he talking about?". We on this side of the pond call it Gobbledygook.

E.g. "There seems to be an universal gathering of mind-boggling interpretations, expressed to counter the lack of progressiveness; including the nature of self-made promises that interact accordingly with disrupting attitude changes". Confused

Quote of the day
If we all wrote in plain English how much easier - and efficient - life would be. (Baroness Thatcher)
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 3:26 pm    

I think Bo has been reading Schopenhauer,

Richard Burton made milk come out of my nose

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 2:08 am    

Broken promises commonly integrate throughout the most respected members of our society. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Whether the case may originate from a musical sense, or simply promising to do something that never comes to fruition, by way of good faith; it matters not. Nothing is more degrading than a broken promise.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 8:02 am    

Except a broken 3rd string .... Winking