| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Wanted to Buy or Trad For!
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 10:51 pm    

I'd like to buy or trade for stock pickups from a mim or Japan Tele. I have the Tex Mex PUPs in my Nashville Tele and would like to have the standard American that come in most Tele's over the last several years. I would be glad to buy them or trade my pups from my Nashville Tele. I just want the more standard Tele sound. I think the only pup that is different in my Tele is the bridge pup but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. Thanks

Bob

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2007 8:40 am    

That tele tone you're looking for is hard to find! I own a few tele's and they all are different. The type of wood, bridge, strings, neck, tail piece, saddles and probably even more things affect or enhance the tele tone. My favorite for the tele crunch is the Custom Shop bridge pickup. The Merle Haggard tele has that. I played one and that's what sold me. What a guitar too, and a price! Good luck finding them.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 3:38 pm    

Thanks Jerry, I'm not to particular I just mainly want to get a standard tele pup and replace the brighter Tex/Mex pups. I think the Tex/Mex pups would be great for more aggressive type of playing like southern rock or even new current country or in a live situation where you need to cut thru the mix. I just mainly play older country and record it so I don't need the extra bite that the Tex/Mex pups provide. Actually when I bought the Nashville Tele I didn't know they came with special pups. I bought it from the forum and didn't get to play it before hand. I am completely happy with it even if I don't ever get any other pups I'd just like to try the other pups. All I really have to do is eq it a little but the Strat setting sound sounds a little funky with those pups.

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 5:14 pm    

I've got two from a Squier I'll trade for the tex mex. I can give you the ohms if you want. Let me know.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 7:11 am    

Hey Jerry, what's the difference between the pups they put in a squire tele and the one they put in a more expensive tele such as the Nashville tele?

I'm not playing dumb here I really am uneducated in the difference in squire pups and mex or japan pups. Are they made from cheaper parts or maybe not as high quality as the mex and japan pups?

I know they have to cut corners to sell the Squires for less so is it in the pups or maybe some place else?

If they are just the same pups that all come from the same pool of pups I wouldn't be afraid to try them but if their specs are well lets say less or maybe made with cheaper parts I would want to stay away from them

One more question on my Nashville Tele the middle/strat pup had some raised pickup poles and I hate it. I can't tell if it makies them any better and they get in my way all the time. So are the pole pieces raised on your squire and if so is there anyway to push them down flush without doing any harm to the pups? Thanks Jerry

Bob

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 7:40 am    

My pickups are probably Japanese or Indonesian. I really don't know where they came from. The rounds of wire are the biggest and most noticeable difference.The magnet is another difference. I change till I get a sound thats close to what I'm searching for. I don't have a Nashville tele so that means I don't have that middle pickup. That whole setup is something Brent Mason came up with because he didn't own a strat. I converted a tele to that setup but didn't like it at all. I just used an old strat pickup in the middle. The tex mex pickups will be "hotter" than mine. Check the ohms and compare with other types before you change. You may want to try a processor or multi pedal for recording. Digitech has a good one with dozens of the trademark tones. Good Luck
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 3:23 pm    

Bob, I have pickups from an 80's Tokai reissue. (I put Duncans in the guitar) I don't know if these are want you're looking but your welcome to borrow them. Bob Kramer
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2007 5:49 am    

Hey guys thanks for the replies and offers but I think I'll just buy a new set of pups from Sam's and let them install them that way if I don't like them they will take them back out and install my old ones back in. If I install them myself which I could do they won't guarantee to take them back due to me possibly buggering them up.

So now I'll just have to check out all they have to offer the rep said he had many choices Smile Thanks again guys.

Bob

Mohawk, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 5:25 am    

Bob,

I too have recently purchased a MIM Nashville Tele. One thing you may want to consider, (and you may already know this), is that the 5 way selector switch does not have a position that cuts out the Strat pickup and uses only the bridge and neck pickups together as the regular Tele does. I have read on NTele reviews several comments on this subject. I think I may take my least used position and wire it to do that.

Hope this helps,

Ol' Fred
Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 6:29 am    

On my NV Tele I put a tiny on off switch on the switchplate that simply turns the neck pu on, makes it easy to do both neck and bridge and all 3 at once. I thought I'd like it, but don't use the switch all that much. JP

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 5:23 pm    

hey big bob....if you'd just learn ta play that dern thing, ya wouldn't have to fuss 'bout the pickups!!
hardy har har....
hope you're doing well,
chris ivey