| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10 Favorite Guitar Solos
Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2007 11:53 pm    

I am sure this has been done before but, I was just thinking about my favorites today. Mine are in no particular order and subject to change in a day or two: 1. Hank Garland "All the Things You Are" from "Jazz Winds from a New Direction" 2. Albert Lee's solos on Dave Edmunds' "Sweet Little Lisa" from "Repeat When Necessary" 3. Albert Lee's solos on Emmylou Harris' version of "Luxury Liner" from the album "Luxury Liner" 4.Eddie Vanhalen "Mean Streets" from "Fair Warning" 5.Andy Summers on "Driven To Tears" from the Police "Zenyatta Mendatta" 6. Paul McCartney on "Taxman" from the Beatles "Revolver" 7. Scotty Moore 2nd solo on "Hound Dog" Elvis Presley (imo the best rocknroll guitar solo ever) 8. Jeff Beck "Cause We Ended As Lovers" "Blow by Blow" 9. Ed King's solo on "Sweet Home Alabama" from Lynyrd Skynyrd "Second Helping" and tied for 10. who ever played the Guitar solos on Waylon's version of "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Mississippi Woman" I am interested to hear other peoples favs.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 1:05 am    

The whole album,Jazz Winds by Hank Garland,Solo on a record,Amos Garrett's solo on Midnight at the Oasis,don't you know.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 3:10 am    

Jim Hall's "Conceirto" (Jazz interpretation of the second movement of Joaquin Rodrigo's "Conceirto De Aranjuez}

Charlie Byrd's albums "Blues for Night People" (this one is out of print and to my knowledge has not been reissued on CD) "Byrd By The Sea," "Live at the Village Gate," "Mr. Guitar""Blues Sonata." (all of which are available)

Angel Romero's recording of "Fantasia Para In Gentlehombre" (also by Rodrigo) with Andre Previn and the London Philharmonic. (Note: This CD also contains the Conceirto De Aranjuez in it's original unaltered for,)

"Lotus land" by Kenny Burrell from his "Guitar Forms" album

Johnny Smith's entire "Phase 2" album.

The Falla Guitar Trio's interpretation of the music from West Side Story (which inspired me to do the same music)

The entire CD "Forrobodo" by the Brazilian guitar quartet "Quaternaglia. This CD is only available in Europe.

The entire Dire Straits album "Communique"

"Whipping Post" from the Allman Brothers live at the Fillmore East.

Any of Wes Montgomery's early recordings with just guitar, piano, bass and drums.

"Soliloquy" by George Van Eps
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 3:29 am    

1. Almost anything ever played by Frank Zappa.
2. Kid Charlemagne, Steely Dan; I think it's Larry Carlton.
3. One Of These Days, Pink Floyd; Dave Gilmour, just in case you live under a rock.
3. All the David Lindley stuff with Jackson Browne and El Rayo X. I can't possibly be more specific.
4. Sox On Spot, House of Large Sizes. I know, obscure. But worth looking into.
5. Buddy Miller with Emmylou Harris, just about the whole catalog. Redefined the guitar for country music.

Obviously I am drawn to the eclectic, but there are some solos that are just definitive, and don't really have any unnecessary filler. Those are the ones that make the grade, IMHO.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 8:37 am    

too hard...
here's an interview with the solo from Stairway to Heaven tho:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2004/11/17allen.html
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 8:51 am    

For me it begins and ends with Ted Greene's CD "Solo Guitar". There just really isn't anything else even approaching the physical dexterity and unfathomable harmonic depth of that stuff - including Lenny Breau.Lenny had the same kind of chops but wasn't anywhere near as organized. Tragically that's the only record Ted ever made. Any serious guitar afficianado should own that CD.It's deeply musical and extremely satisfying. Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0007CNXQ4/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img/002-6118621-7822453?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 9:14 am    

All great choices, no doubt, and I'm sure there will be many more to come. I have lots of candidates, but one little gem to me, was the solo on "Promised Land" by Willie Nelson. Sounded like Grady Martin or Clint Strong. It had everything.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 10:39 am    

How about anything by Django, Charlie Christian, Tal Farlow, Joe Pass, Chet, Merle, Jimmy Bryant, Herb Ellis,and Leon Rhoads. Just to name a few of my favorite guitar players. Bobby
Tom Zielinski

Buffalo, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 11:45 am    

Exactly what Bobby Caldwell said, just add Jimmy Rivers, George Barnes and Hank Garland.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 2:43 pm    

OK, this is pretty much impossible to whittle down to 10, but here goes:

Roy Buchanan's "Sweet Dreams" and "The Messiah Will Come Again", Albert Lee's solos on Emmylou's "Luxury Liner" and Dave Edmunds' "Sweet Little Lisa" (as already mentioned), David Lindley's "Mercury Blues" on the first El Rayo X LP, Ry Cooder's solo on John Hiatt's "Tennessee Plates" from the "Slow Turning" album, Frank Zappa's wah solo on "Stuff Up the Cracks", from the Ruben and the Jets album, Amos Garrett's "Midnight at the Oasis" by Maria Muldaur (as already mentioned), Otis Rush's "All My Loving" and "Double Trouble", Jimi Hendrix's "Freedom" from "The Cry of Love", Danny Gatton's version of "Cherokee", T-Bone Walker's "Two Bones and a Pick" and "West Side Baby", Duke Robillard's "Duke's Mood", B.B. King's "The Thrill is Gone", Albert King's "Cadillac Assembly Line" and "Crosscut Saw", Freddy King "Hideaway", Mike Bloomfield's "Albert's Shuffle".

Tons of 50s jazz - all the Riverside Wes Montgomery LPs, but especially "Round Midnight" on the first, Hank Garland "Jazz Winds ...", of course. All the amazing Charlie Christian solos from the Benny Goodman small group recordings, anything by Django, but "Nuages" has to be the most lyrical guitar piece ever, Ted Greene's already been mentioned - just extraordinary, Kenny Burrell "Blue Lights" and "Round Midnight" LPs, Grant Green "Green Street" LP, Tal Farlow's "Yardbird Suite" and his unbelievable take on "Cherokee", again pretty much anything by Johnny Smith, but "Moonlight in Vermont" - pretty much any of the Contemporary recordings by Barney Kessel, but I love "Jordu" and "On Green Dolphin Street" from the first Poll Winners album with Ray Brown and Shelly Manne.

Lots of Roy Nichols' stuff with Merle Haggard, but my favorite is still "I'm a Lonesome Fugitive", lots of things by James Burton - but "Ooh Las Vegas" with Emmylou stands out.

There are just too many to list - I could go on for pages and pages with influential guitar playing for me. I owe so much to so many that I can't even begin to crack a dent in it.
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 2:44 pm    

All mine are jazz.

1. Wes Montgomery- Dearly Beloved from "Boss Guitar"

2. Tal Farlow- Lover from "The Tal Farlow Quartet"

3. Joe Pass- I Love You from "Intercontinental"

4. Hank Garland- All the Things You Are from "Jazz Winds From A New Direction"

5. Johnny Smith - Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart from "The Johnny Smith Foursome Volume II"

6. Jim Hall's solo on All Through The Night from Paul Desmond's "Glad To Be Unhappy"

7. George Benson- Billie's Bounce from "Giblet Gravy"

8. Pat Martino- Draw me Down from "Nightwings"

9. Joe Cohn- Quiet Sip from "Two Funky People"

10. Charlie Christian- Solo Flight from "The Genius Of Charlie Christian"
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 6:14 pm    

Hey Tom, I don't know how left those players off my list. You are so right. May I add Grady Martin and Jimmy Capps. Lenny Breau as well. WOW there just so many great players with something to say. BTW Living in St.Louis and growing up here I heard some great guitar from Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, Little Milton , Bobby Ward and a host of others who played in the '50's and '60's around town. Bobby
Cody Campbell

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 9:02 pm    

Bobby, one of my favorite guitar solos lately has been your solo on a tune called "Rubber Dolly" on an album with Pappy Wade Ray. The bass player for that session was a left-handed bassist named Ronnie Griggs, (who has been my friend and bandmate for about 10 years). He gave me that record a couple years ago. I just recently got it out again and played it, and I realized how much I love it. My two brothers dig western swing and stuff, and the other night I played it for them and they were in total awe of your playing.

The other players on that record were Wade Ray, Jimmy Queen, Ronnie Griggs, and Steel Players DeWitt Scott, Russ Wever, and Pat Heller. (Recorded in 1983).

There is some great guitar work on that record. If you don't have a copy of it I'd be happy to burn it to CD for you, if you'd like, for your personal use.
Cody Campbell

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2007 9:22 pm    

But I'm sure you've got that record, or Scotty does.
And while we're on the subject of Bobby Caldwell and guitar solos... "At E's" from Buddy Emmons @ the 1977 ISGC. !!!!!
Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 12:11 am    

HAA!! this thread is barely a day old and i already see half a dozen or better "wish i'd saids". great choices guys! notice how many times Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass & Hank Garland Jazz Winds are mentioned? also Ben Jones' interview with "stairway solo" is great - hilarious!
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 12:30 am    

Quote:
Ry Cooder's solo on John Hiatt's "Tennessee Plates" from the "Slow Turning" album,

For what it's worth, that was Sonny Landreth playing slide guitar on that track... But how about Ry Cooder on Hiatt's "Lipstick Sunset"?
Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 8:37 am    

Of course, that was Sonny Landreth - that's a pretty serious brain phart, it's such characteristic Sonny. I transposed "Bring the Family" without thinking. Embarassed

"Lipstick Sunset" is great - not to mention the rest of that record. In fact, both those Hiatt records really set a very high water mark for slide playing in back of a singer-songwriter, to me.
Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 1:18 pm    

REMOVED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Mar 2011 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 4:17 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:

"Lipstick Sunset" is great - not to mention the rest of that record. In fact, both those Hiatt records really set a very high water mark for slide playing in back of a singer-songwriter, to me.

I totally agree! "Bring the Family" absolutely blew my mind when it came out, I'd been WAY into Ry Cooder since his first album and to me that album was the best he'd ever sounded. The brief tour that line-up did as "Little Village" was amazing too, there's some grooves that Cooder and Jim Keltner get going together that are unique and incredible, in my humble opinion... And then "Slow Turning" was a revelation with Sonny Landreth's playing, though I don't think the mix really does his huge, gorgeous tone justice the way his own albums do... Sonny was in Nashville a lot during the years he toured with Hiatt and I was able to catch quite a few casual club gigs that he did. I think he's in a class of his own as a slide guitar player (and he's a very personable, nice dude as well...).

I'll add one favorite solo to the list: Roy Nichols on the instrumental "Strangers" version of "Every Fool Has a Rainbow".
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 5:00 pm    

Pete--Lipstick Sunset--absolutely!

Keith--"Kid Charlemagne, Steely Dan; I think it's Larry Carlton" Absolutely Carlton--only one punch in that sos, too Smile My fave...

How about "Midnight at the Oasis"?? Amos at his best... Smile
Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2007 11:44 pm    

Quote:
Earl Hooker...Blues In D Natural

Oh, yeah - I can't believe I forgot about Hooker. Or how about "Blue Guitar".

Another critical slide player that always struck me was Robert Nighthawk. "Crying Won't Help You" was a particularly fine track.

Oh, there's another - Billy Butler's solo on Bill Doggett's "Honky Tonk". Pretty much mandatory for any budding guitar player in the 60s.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2007 2:29 am    

Thanks, Dave - I always wondered who played that!!!

I first heard that record around the time that I started learning to play ('57, or early '5Cool, and that guitar solo - and the tone - just floored me.

Do you know what guitar he played?

RR

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 11 Nov 2007 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Matt Dawson

Luxembourg, Europe
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2007 2:52 am    

Albert- I fell in love (Carleen)
Jimi- all along the watchtower
Amos - midnight at the oasis
Duane - loan me a dime (Boz Scaggs)
Eric - something (beatles)
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2007 3:25 am    

I tried to type "'58". and I got the 'cool' face!

I tried to 'edit', and it's still there.

Confused

RR
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2007 3:41 am    

In no particular order....

George Barnes - Connie Francis 'Lipstick On Your Collar'

Jim Hall - Jimmy Guiffre Trio 'Train & The River'

Johnny Smith - 'Moonlight In Vermont'

Scotty Moore - the FIRST 'Hound Dog' solo!!!

James Burton - Ricky Nelson's 'I Got A Woman'

Jerry Reed - 'Georgia On My Mind'
(This is not a solo, but his obligato to his own vocal is tremendous!)

Albert Lee - Rodney Crowell's 'Til I gain Control Again'
(Albert playing a Strat)

Brian Mann - James Taylor's 'Never Die Young'

Hank Garland - 'All The Things You Are'

TWO from Amos Garrett:

'Midnight at the Oasis' (Almost compulsory!)
Emmylou Harris' 'Here There & Everywhere'

RR
PS: Subject to change..... Smile
PPS: I know that's eleven, but I've still left out Scotty Anderson!!!