| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob White Steel Chronology
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 7:57 am    

What steel guitar did Bob White start recording with and to which guitars did he move throughout time?

Thanks in advance;

Sherman
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 9:24 am    

Hi Sherman,

There are others on here who will undoubtedly have alot more of the info your seeking.

However, I do know that Bob years ago played Fender Steels and endorsed for them. He can be seen in a Fender group photo cica 1950s which at the same time shows Speedy West, Buddy Emmons, Jerry Byrd, Johnny Seibert, Don Warden, Howard White and others.

Next, I know he played several steels 1970s early 80s that MSA Steels had built for him. He and Reece Anderson were good friends. His best album in my opinion, titled "Steel Trek," was recorded on an MSA Steel Guitar. I know he had at least two of the MSA steels, because there is the White double neck MSA pictured on the "Steel Trek," L.P. and then I took a photo of him late 70s playing a blue MSA at the St. Louis Steel Guitar Convention.

Finally, I believe that he was playing a Mullens Steel shortly before he passed away. He and Speedy West both died about 3 years ago this month. That Mullens steel I saw a video one time had dual pickups on each neck. I'm sure that steel honked with those dualie pickups. Wink

In my opinion he was one of the greatest of steel guitarist. He was a real artist and his style was his own. Bob White, Speedy West, Zane Beck, Curly Chalker and the late Julian THarpe all wore their own style of steel hat. I miss all of them dearly. Each of these guys were great steel players in their own right and were real innovators of the steel guitar.

Hope this helps and GOD bless!

Terry Wood
W. J. Copeland

Palestine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 9:57 am    

I don't know about the different steels BW played throughout his career, but I had the privelage of seeing his Bigsby with the name Bob White on the front. Ben Jack in Arkansas is the proud owner of that steel and was gracious enough to show me his display room and that steel stands out. It's a beautiful blond.
Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 2:33 pm    

I have a C D of Tom Morrell,,Pee Wee Whitewing,and Bob White,and Bob is playing a "Tripple neck Bigsby",,one neck with 10 string's and 2 neck's with 8 string's,,im not sure if it is one he plays all the time or not,I also Saw him ( Bob White ) with Hank Thompson in 1953 in Meridian Miss. at the "Jimmy Rogers Memorial Festival",,along with Pee Wee Whitewing,, and Bob was playing a Bigsby then,, Pee Wee Whitewing was playing a Bigsby also,it was so sad when he passed,I loved his style of playing,, I know Hank Thompson has had some good steel player's,, but to me when you say " The Brazos Valley Boy's"it ment Bob and Pee Wee on the steel's.
If anyone knows where I can find a C D of Bob's I would appreciate if they would let me know,I have a lot of Hank's recording with Bob playing steel,,but would like to have some of just Bob on steel..Thank's.....
Tom Harris.........
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 4:51 pm    

Hi Tom,

Bob White's Steel Guitar instrumentals are on cassette tape but not on CD as far as I know.

When I saw Hank Thompson last summer here at West Plains, MO, he had an instrumental CD of the Brazos Valley Boys. The CD doesn't name the individual players but there is no doubt that Bob's steel is one that is featured on this CD. His style stands out and also Bobby Garrett is recognizable on a few tunes such as his "Rose City Chimes." It is a great CD with 26 songs on it.

I think you can get this CD through Hank's Website or Country Music sites also Ernest Tubb's Store Nashville ot Texas.

Bob's "Steel Trek," LP and probably cassette now, in my opinion was the best instrumental of Bob's. I think it is one of the best steel guitar L.P.s or tapes of all time. Also he released another cassette titled "The Song Unsung," it is good too.

Hope this helps!

Terry Wood
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 6:59 pm    

Sherman Bob White took delivery of his Bigsby or one of them at any rate right here in Colo Spgs at a club called the Caravan or Wagon Wheel. They used to be across the street from each other. I received an email from Mr white about 6 or 7 years ago that said that he took delivery of it here. He could not remember exactely which club it was but that it was on Platte Ave. He was with Hank Thompson at the time.
George
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 7:05 pm    

I grew up in Ft Smith, AR where Bobby White lived but I never got to see him often because he was always out on the road with Hank Thompson in my younger years. I got in a few jam sessions with Bob and others later on after Bob left The Brazos Valley Boys. One such jam I will never forget included Bob White, Tom Morrell and Jack Rider. Sorry I don't really have any good information that you are looking for.
Jerry
Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2007 7:06 pm    

Terry,,thank's a million my friend for the info I'll see what i can do about getting a cassette or LP of Bob's song's,,again thank's..
Tom
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 4:15 am     This is an old one... but..

I once asked Scotty who he felt shaped the Hank Thompson steel sound.
Just like most stars and Western Swing bands like Bob Wills, Hank Thompson had had quite a line up of steel guitarists.

Scotty responded "Bob White!" and continued that it was all played on C6th on his Bigsby.

Does somebody have some insight into if Bob White was indeed the one that shaped the sound most prevalent in HT's Capitol Records hits and what tuning he would have been playing... I ask, because I understood that Buddy Emmons was asked by Shot Jackson to write down a "standard" setup the "C-neck" when Sho-Bud was starting to get orders for double neck guitars with both E9th and "the swing tuning" and BE pretty much handed him the 5&1 setup we still know today as the basic BE-C6th... around what, 1960?
Yet HT's most iconic sound hit records on Capitol came out 56 thru 62, which pre-dates the BE-C6th but runs right up into the time of it being established as the "standard".

Here's a picture of Bob White said to be 1961 with a different band, reposted from a different thread, showing him with a stand up (which HT seems to have favored for his act early on when pedals became the new thing as they are seen on many pictures) Bigsby with 5 pedals:

The hair and dress code would suggest second half of the 50's to earliest of 60's.

Here is another picture with The Brazos Valley Boys and HT, which form the looks of them puts in right into that most successful Capitol Records period:

Bob White on HT's left hand side and Pee Wee Whitewing on his right hand side (and a still pre-Fujiyama Boogie Wanda Jackson which started her solo Rock'a'Billy artist at Capitol around 1956)

(pictures from this related thread: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=277173

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2022 5:04 pm    

J.D., I think that picture of the girl standing up besides Bob White could be Sammie Smith? Do you know? I think they were married at one time? J.R. Rose

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2022 7:22 am    

Yes J. R. Rose, that is a young Sammi Smith standing by Bob White. Yes they were married and had three children. All of their children are very musically talented. My Friends and Great people! Sammi Smith belongs in The Country Music Hall of Fame! I loved Bob White's Steel Guitar playing. He was such a innovator and he had a unique approach to playing the Steel Guitar. Notice this Pedal Bigsby Steel Guitar that he's playing and standing up. Thanks for sharing this post of them. RIP Bob and Sammi !

Last edited by Terry Wood on 20 Oct 2022 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2022 5:58 am    

Back in 2007 Jerry Roller mention (RIP) Jack Rider. A MONSTER player from over around Stilwell, Ok. He was a lawyer and was well know but never wanted to be a pro player. He was in the class of Curly Chalker and Julian Tharpe. J.R. Rose