| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Poco "Rose Of Cimarron"
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 9:25 am    

I dragged my Steel Guitar down to our local VFW last Sun. for a jam session which turned out to be a bunch of folks who didn't know the changes to anything...The good news is on the break the sound clown played Poco's "Rose Of Cimarron" which I haven't heard in about 15 years and all of a sudden time just stopped,Man what a beautiful song.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 9:27 am    

Great song, one of my favorites. Emmylou's version is also great.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 12:23 pm    

Dave,Yes Emmylou's version is great,Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 1:51 pm    

Heard that song in the '70's, I think it was on the old Midnight Special TV show, along with "Keep on trying"... love them both. FYI "Keep on Trying" seems to have been rediscovered thanks to being used in the TV show "Bones".

Here's an old video of Poco's "keep on trying", not good quality but still nice I think:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d3D9xLtDZ1A
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 3:26 pm    

oh yeah! That was the period that gave me the impetus to actually buy a pedal steel and learn to play it. Music from Poco, et al. Strangely now, what I remember most about "Rose" is the nice vocal harmonies. I think I have it on vinyl somewhere, so guess I'll have to dig it out and give it another listen!
Tim Stanton

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 5:13 pm    

Poco still plays it in concert - however, Rusty now largely plays guitar, including that great song.
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 5:23 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
oh yeah! That was the period that gave me the impetus to actually buy a pedal steel and learn to play it. Music from Poco, et al.

Same here, including that great steel playing in Linda Ronstadt's songs of that period. "Birds" had some beautiful, tasty playing...very simple but so perfect. I still get chills from it.... I know it'll make me sound like an old fart and I guess I'm getting there... but I can't help thinking they don't write them or play them like that anymore. Same as with some of the newer movies, there's so much attention given to the technical aspects, that they neglect one important thing.... feeling.
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 7:35 pm    

Jim,
I absolutly agree. I have the Linda Ronstadt "The Capitol Years" in my car right now, and it is the best thing I have heard in a while (Since I had the vinyl playing).
As far as Poco, or Emmylou, enough said.
As good as it gets.
Lefty
Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 9:37 pm    

ohh yeah - one of my favorites too - that's the stuff i grew up listening to - and like dave m, i also liked emmylou's cover - the guitar and steel break in "honky tonk downstairs" and the guitar and steel work on "you better think twice" is my favorite jimmy messina/rusty young playing
Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2007 4:34 am    

Here is a video clip of the song:

Rose of Cimmaron- POCO

Some great Dobro licks in there.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2007 4:38 am    

Brings back great memories..hearing Tim sing on those early tracks is quite the deal...
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2007 1:41 am    

Thanks, Gary! Man I love that song, and that band. Sure I love a lot of other types of music too.... but that song and sound has always really grabbed me, for whatever style exactly it is...