| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Great Herby Wallace!!
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 3:45 pm    

I just got back from Ronnies steel show in Hot Springs..great show as always. The band was great as always!! But this was special for me..I played guitar on Herbys set..as we all know,he is a GREAT player...fast,smooth,soulful...etc! But what you may not know,Herby had a stroke a few months ago..he's doing real well..THANK GOD! His speed may not be where he wants it to be...but his SOUL is there!!!
He had me in a trance with his soulful playing...all from the heart...WOW!! Thanks Herby for the honor!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 3:56 pm    

Yes it was good to see Herby playing. It's always good to see someone that has been sick come back playing. You did good on the lead also Junior. We all had a good time at Ronnie's.

Donna
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 4:54 pm     Herby

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 5:39 pm    

Junior! Yes! I share your sentaments about the great Herby"! He has kept me in awe with his incredible playing and laughing with his humor for many years. His family is also something he and his wonderful wife can be VERY proud of. I think so very much of all of them. Herby has added a lot to many folks lives in the past many years.
I appreciate your post here Junior, and YOU deserve a lot of credit and appreciation for what you have done for us all also!
My thanks goes out to Herby and YOU!

Los Bobbster
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 2:49 pm    

Junior.....I was with Herby a few months ago in Ocean Springs, MS, and I was in awe of his playing, even though he said he really wasn't up to par. But, when its Herby, what is up to par (lol)? He's always been one of my heros on steel.......great to hear he's improving........HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 5:23 pm    

Herby is a great teacher and a super person. When I was learning to play C6th, I attended a Herby Wallace seminar in St. Louis and was just flat out impressed that Herby was so approachable. On breaks he just blended in with us and even let me play his guitar. We all had a zillion questions to ask and Herby deviated from his lesson plan to answer our questions and demonstrate different styles of playing. Thanks for the inspiration Herby!

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 7:56 pm     Hot Springs

Thanks, Junior for the kind words and it does mean so much coming from you as you are one of my favorite musicians. It is always an honor to be on the same stage with musicians of your calibur. Your guitar playing was great. Your tone and taste were unsurpassed. As I said in Hot Springs, I really am jealous of guys like you and many of the people reading this may not know, but you are equally great on steel, guitar and bass and it just blows me away every time I hear you play. I do wish my playing was better, because I know that it still has a long way to go, but playing with musicians like you, Roy, Buck and Hal inspires me to keep trying and not give up.

Thanks again for all your support.

Herby Wallace
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2007 2:15 am    

I only know Herb from the shows I have attended and from brief conversation, but I have known of him for decades.

Seeing Herby and his wife at St Louis this year was a value lesson learned, an influence in life.

It's not about Herby playing slow or whatever, it's about Herby playing and showing the determination to just do it.

It would be real easy for any of us to just cave and hang it up after such a horrible event, but for someone to hang in and just plain DO IT is quite the deal.

It's hard enough to play this Instrument under the best of conditions.

I wish I could play SLOW like Herby..I wish I could play anything like Herby !

Just from the few times we have met and spoken I consider it a privilege to call him my friend.

Don't worry Herby, I'll catch up to you someday...!

tp

Last edited by Tony Prior on 24 Oct 2007 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2007 4:21 am     C6th Licks

Herby: thanks again for all those C6th licks I moved to B6th, without your help, I probably would be lucky to play Steel Gtr Rag on the 6th tuning, those of us who attended your seminars owe you a lot.

Ernie Pollock
Very Happy
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2007 6:43 am    

I was just playing one of Herby's CDs on my morning walk. IMO, there's none better on either neck, and listening to Herby gives me incentive to play (or try). I believe that Herby is one of the best musicians that comes along in a lifetime. If there are any newbies out there that are not familiar with Herby, you're missing one of the best ever and he has some tablature on his web-site for his recordings.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2007 6:58 am    

I hope to see Herby for the 3rd time this year --since Labor Day-- next month at Lexington. It's great to see him keeping after it, and in such a public way. I think most of us would stay at home, working and hoping to recoverer the former abilities. Herby is surely precticing his preaching by staying in public. The great ones all tell us we'll learn more in a year playing gigs than a lifetime of playing with tracks.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2007 7:30 am    

Juinor, From what I can tell I guess the book is paying off. HA HA I echo your comments about Herby. He is a fighter and keeps coming back from the stroke. He'll be playing better than ever in no time I'm sure. He is a great friend and I love him lots. Bobby
Donald Dykes

Natchitoches Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2007 3:29 pm     Ronnies show

Jr. is right HERBY WAS GREAT AS USUAL I have been seeing him play at ronnies for 10 or 11 years and he is always amazing. It takes something down inside your heart to make a comeback like he has. Jr. came by and played lead guitar and there is not much you can add to what everyone knows about his playing. Buck had a new single neck guitar but he plays great on any guitar. We had a great time in Hot Springs all the musicians were great as usual. Ronnie has been sick but it did not effect his playing he is faster than ever i think, but thanks to Ronnie & Faye for a great show I see Buck made it home safely he has twice as far to drive as i did to get home thanx to all and we will see you next year if the Lord wills.
Donald&Judy
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 1:22 pm    

Cool Guys i have the greatest respect for Mr. Herby Wallace . I was listening to his 100 licks/runs and wow was he great ! This gentleman does no bragging on himself but puts others before him . People like this are getting hard to find these days . I love folks like this ! You Da Man Herby . G.P.
Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 3:11 am    

Herby,

When I was reading some of the comments on this thread, I was reminded of the Dixieland days when we were playing with Buck Turner. I probably never told you, but that was some of the most enjoyable times I've ever had playing guitar. I looked forward to every night we played, and the last set was always as much fun as the first. As Thumbs used to say "You can't fly with the eagles if you're running with turkeys". You're an eagle Buddy, and I've never flown higher than I did when playing with you.
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 6:40 pm    

At the steel show that we had at the Tombigbee Jamboree here in Fulton MS, back in May, Herby kept apologizing for not having the speed of playing that he used to have. The man owes NO apologies! Even after his stroke, Herby's playing is still just incredible. Truly one of the all-time greats.

Not only is his playing still amazing, he is a true gentleman as well. He and his wife were two of the nicest folks I've ever met. It was a real honor for us to have Herby with us, and we hope to have him back again.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 9:32 pm    

Hello Herby, I'm so happy to hear that you have had such a great recovery from your stroke.
I would like to take you on a journey, back about 36 year ago to about 1971 when I met you for the first time at a club in Hugo, Minnesota called "Nashville North." You were on the road with Nat Stuckey at the time and I believe you were playing a D-10 Sho-Bud Guitar.
I hope those days on the road have some good memories
for you.

I have spoken to you a few times at Scotty's ISGC over the years and have always enjoyed your playing.

ROGER
Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2007 4:17 am     Herby

I have listen and watched Herby for many years at the Steel shows and Pigeon Forge (Dollywood).He is one more super picker and he will blow your mind on his favorite
"Windows Facing the South". Hope to see him again on the 18th at Saluda.
Vern
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2007 7:45 am    

In Hot Springs I was warming up on my D-8 and Herby had just finished. He stopped and started talking about different stuff. I started off "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" Herby mentioned he used to play that. I said "I know that's where I learned it!" That summs up how much of an influence he has been on my playing. Plain and simple Their would be no ME especially on C6th it wasn't for Herby. I learned so much from him in my early days and have so much to thank him for. Mr Knight, it was a pleasure to finally meet you and here you pick and yes you are right I don't think I have seen that much soul come out of a steel guitar in many years. I took a 90mph trip down memory lane when Herby was playing and I about crashed. I wouldn't have missed you're performance for a million bucks. And I so much enjoyed our evening of talking outside the store! I'll tell Ferlin you said howdy. You're still one of my biggest heros. Thanks for putting up with a youngin!