| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Instrument Insurance
Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 4:55 pm    

Some time ago, someone mentioned a company or two that provides insurance for instruments used professionally.

Does anyone have any referrals, stories good or bad about underwriters for instruments?

SS

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 6:18 pm    

The company is CLARION MUSICAL INSTRUMENT INSURANCE

Their phone number is 1-800-VIVALDI/

They have a $1,000 deductible policy, so it's only worth it to insure really expensive items, but I had a claim last year and they honored it with no hassle.
Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 6:32 pm    

Thanks Mike. While the $1000 deductible would be good for my 65 Jan and Dean foam green Strat, I think that is high even for a Pedal Steel. And, I want to insure all my gear, amps, pedals, racks, cabinets, basses etc.

I seem to recall a company in Nashville or Memphis that provided coverage as well, but just can't recall the name.

SS

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 6:42 pm    

If I understood correctly, my home owners will cover my gear even if something happens even if it's not at my house. I might need to check that again to be safe. I have State Farm.

Tony
Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 6:59 pm    

If you use your instruments in a professional capacity, homeowners insurance does not provide coverage. I have State Farm and it specifically excludes instruments used professionally.

SS

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 5:56 am    

Stephen you need to read the policy, some home owner policy's will cover 100% coverage. Off course with any ins. you will have to fight to get things right.
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 9:07 am    

My state Farm agent told me that my instruments were covered as long as I was not getting paid. I asked out of curiosoity because the church I attend had been broken into several times, and I was worried about leaving my equipment there So, if you play at church, do benefits, or show up at jams, your gear is covered, minus your deductible. As soon as you get paid, forget it.

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 3:53 pm    

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 4:27 pm     insurance

I have homeowner's insurance w/ a professional equipment floater that covers all my equipment and costs an additional $12 per $1000 of insured equip. I think it's about $100 deductible.
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 4:43 pm    

Jim-

WRONG. You will need a special policy if you leave your home with your instrument to play a gig, regardless if it is pay or no pay, church or no church. Your homeowners policy and a special rider will not cover it. Please don't be under this impression. Shocked

Mark A.
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 9:19 pm    

Haven't checked in with the Insurance company for info or a claim recently. But, a number of years ago I had just such a loss when my equipment was stolen during a church break-in. My homeowners paid without a hassle (thank God), and when some of the equipment was recovered where it had been hidden outdoors, the Company said they didn't want to try to salvage it, and gave it back to me. So, maybe it varies from company to company....... Smile
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-