| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Holy Grail Reverb ?
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 1:50 pm    

Gees! I hope I spelled that right Confused
We have a local music store here in town that have the Holy Grail Reverb stomp boxes. Only trouble is ya cant take one home for a try out, & Im not gonna drag all my equipment & steel down there & set it all up just to see if I like the Holy Grail before I would buy one.
My NV400 has all the upgrades & Ken Fox mods. The reverb sounds good to me. But I still wonder what a Grail reverb would sound like.
Is reverb just reverb, or is there really that much of a difference.
I dont use much reverb, but I want it to be the best?

http://www.greenapple.com/~ace1/
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 1:59 pm    

I use one for my 6string. I love the thing, the only problem is when you kick it you dont get the spring crackle. It is a real good unit with a wide range of reverb for the cost. Problems: turned up past 3 oclock(6oclock is the start/end point) you start losing volume fast but that is a way more reverb than you would get on any fender amp any ways. I love mine! Dont use it on my steel cause I have a steel king with great reverb.

San Diego
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 2:23 pm    

If you like your reverb, Grampaw's old quote applies; "if it ain't broke. don't fix it...."
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 2:47 pm    

I don't know why you'd want one if your amp already has reverb. I use mine with an old Fender Princeton and it sounds real nice and simple, just like a real reverb spring to my ears. I wouldn't bother if the amp had reverb already, though.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 7:23 pm     grail

well darn Oh Well
looks like I will forget the Grail,,the old plane needs a new prop anyway,,lets see,,new Grail or new prop Confused
Tim Stanton

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 11:16 am    

I use my Grail with my '71 Fender Champ for practice, and I'm very happy with it. But, coming in on final approach to an airfield - I think I'd go with the prop.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 11:36 am    

I have a Fender Deluxe with a great spring reverb but I still like to have different flavors of the effect. I've tried the Holy Grail and, while it sounds great, it doesn't provide much flexibility. I highly recommend the Line 6 Verbzilla. You can get some seriously deep reverb out of that thing and it more variation anything in it's class. Also, I believe it sounds better than the Holy Grail. It's one of the best gear purchases I've made.......and I've made plenty.

Favorites:

Cave
Hall
Plate
63'spring (good for live and loud, it doesn't cause feedback like a true spring tank when turned to high levels).
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 2:01 pm     prop

If I could pull off a VFR landing down at Bobbe Seymours place ,I bet he would let me try out a Grail Very Happy

Mike Phillips

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 6:04 am    

here's my holy grail story...

1. the thing is cheap, seemingly well built (no issues with mine in about 3 years), and sounds really nice (if you ignore the "Flerb" setting). so it's a painless investment.

2. while i too have the NV400 with ken's mods, along with some fender amps with reverbs to die for, i sometimes like to have the Grail set up for some huge Hall reverb, just to be able to mix it up and get that big, cinematic effect. i just add it on top of the amp's spring reverb.

3. i keep the Grail in my seat always; you never know when a reverb tube might fail, or a cable, or you go to a gig/studio and intend to use the house amp and the reverb is shot (non-working, noisy, etc...) and you have five minutes to set up and start playing. with a Holy Grail in your grab bag, you can always get pretty much the reverb you like and spend more time talking to girls.

please bear in mind that i am an unapologetic reverb addict, so i do have a bias.

mike
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 6:16 am    

Easiest thing in this case is to just order one from Musician's Friend.
They let you check it out for 45 days. If you ain't crazy about it, just send it back.
Besides, you'll save the cost of fueling up your plane! Laughing

Holy Grail
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 7:44 am    

Richard,
That airstrip looks awfully short but it sure seems wide enough. Rolling Eyes
Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 7:45 am     Don't get it

I've had several of these, and while I think they are a very nice sounding reverb, they have the same problem I've experienced with all newer EH effects (Memory Man, etc), which is noise. They develop a constant background sizzle after a few months of use, along the lines of mis-matched impedance. Or worse, start intermittently having loud hums like a ground loop. And just try to take one to Europe and run it off of a step-down transformer! Horrible. I think they are cheap pieces of garbage. Probably chintzy parts in the power-filtering circuitry (maybe this could be upgraded, perhaps even for less than the cost of the pedal. . .) Too bad, it would be great if they were reliable.
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 8:50 am    

Richard,
I've had mine for quite awhile, and it doesn't make any noises at all. I like to use the hall setting instead
of the spring reverb setting. It's a more lush reverb.
I think it's a reasonably priced great little unit that has worked well for me and I would recommend it to anyone. If you want a serious+ expensive reverb unit then I would recommend you check out a Lexicon.
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 9:03 am    

Ok now you have me wondering about a Lexicon Confused
Whats better than a Grail, a Lexicon ??
I would fly around to different stores & try them all out but I only get 2 miles/gallon in the plane Whoa!
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 5:07 pm    

Paul, EHX effects are noisy, and its because they are all built to go into excessive amounts of effect. There philosophy is better to much than not enough. A lot of the noise can be cut out with a cheap noise gate at the end of the signal chain. I happen to love electroharmonix, but I also understand why people hate them too.

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2007 8:10 am    

This is what keeps effects companies in business.

If you like your reverb sound now then there IS NO NEED to improve it - so why waste time and money on something you don't need?

I'm an effects junkie, but I buy them for specific purposes and for certain tonal reasons. I have a Grail - but only for use with my non-reverb amps, as they all have reverb that sounds fine.

Why not spend the money on an effect you've never tried - something you can experiment with? It just seems a waste to duplicate something you already like.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2007 9:16 am    

Richard Tipple wrote:
Ok now you have me wondering about a Lexicon Confused
Whats better than a Grail, a Lexicon ??
I would fly around to different stores & try them all out but I only get 2 miles/gallon in the plane Whoa!

I get a lot of good effects from my Lexicon MPX-100. They crop up in the Forum classifieds now and then, in the same general price range as the Holy Grail. It would be a good addition to a NV400 rig, in my opinion. The patches that combine delay and reverb sound great on slow songs, and there's also a decent rotary speaker patch.

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2007 5:36 pm    

I use a Grail with my Standels, but when I use my Peaveys I don't feel I need it. I've had mine for a quite a while and never had any kind of problem. I'm not big on using a lot of effects. I just like to keep things simple.
If y'all want to hear what one sounds like, check out some of my videos on You Tube. Should be able to pull me up by typing in Joe Smith Pedal Steel.

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2007 6:05 pm    

EHX has a lot of demos on there site as well. The holier grail is pretty cool. The pog demo movie is really entertaining

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2007 10:57 am    

Richard,
My Holy Grail is for sale if you want.
-Jim
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2007 1:49 pm     grail

Hay thanks Jim
I really want to try one before I buy it
Thanks for the offer though Smile