| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ET/SWV (or TRI CITIES) Steel Jam
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2001 9:53 am    

Bumping up
We have tentivley about 14 pickers that will be at our 1st Annual Jam in Church Hill,Tenn
Feb 25, 2001. We even have a young Lady (Joanne Moree) coming all the way from Weaten,Md (in the neighborhood og the great Mike Aldrich). She is married to an Great Musician friend of mine that I havn't seen in years. I appreciate all of the support from the likes of Fred Layman,Stoney, Nick Reid, and the other pickers that I have contacted or who have contacted me. We are going to have a great time..with these great regional,local,and NOT so local pickers. Everybody is welcome at the Church Hill,Tenn VFW. 1-8PM FEB 25,2001 (423-357-9275)
Thanx..Bob Hayes ( still trying to be a picker)
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 3:28 am    

This is an Update and line up to the Tri Cities Jam,Feb 25,2001 at the VFW Curch Hill,Tenn.
Herby Walace will attend.Also Mike Sweeny,Brian Adams,David Martin,Eddie Trent,Jim Mcartney,Roger Kelly,Roger Redock,Jerry Fleming,Fred Layman,Stony Stoncifer,Jo Ann Moree, and yours Truly,
The doors will open at noon and we will pick from 1pm untill we fall..or 8pm..whichever comes first!
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2001 11:25 pm    

Bob, I was going to call Jerry Staley next week and tell him to come to the show but I got a call today telling me he passed away Friday. I haven't talked to him in a couple of years and it was quite a shock. Jerry lived in Rural Retreat,Va. and was one of my biggest influences as far as playing steel goes. When Jerry was on his game he was as good as they came BAR NONE. I used to go see him at The Firemans Jamboree in Marion,Va. and heplayed an old Sho-Bud Proffesional through a Sho-Bud single channel amp and got as pretty a tone as I ever heard in my life. And boy did he play loud but I didn't care I swear you could hear him two blocks away. I used to go other places such as The Harbor House in Blacksburg,Va. when he saw me come in he would get a folding chair and set it up on the stage next to him and I would set there all night and watch him and get him to show me things when they took a break he always had time for me he really had alot of patience with me when I was a kid. But even before that he played in a band with my uncle called the Dixie Rangers at The V.F.W. in Radford,Va. for many years he also taught my cousin Tom Sweeney his first licks on steel during that time frame so I guess you could say he was like family. He will be missed. Mike Sweeney

[This message was edited by Mike Sweeney on 03 February 2001 at 11:31 PM.]

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2001 7:48 am    

Mike, My condolences. I'm sure that he will be missed,but WILL join those great Heros that have gone to the Lord before us. The sad part is, that most of our heros didn't know what influences that they've had on us that are left behind. They do now. and hopefully they are gathered to gether in that magic kingdom. Thank you for sharing this with us Mike.
Bob