| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Pro II bid feedback
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 9:58 am    

(Topic split from http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=119446 by b0b)

I don't mean to sound rude, but he needs to put it on eBay, then. I don't think this is an auction site.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 11:10 am    

Michael Douchette wrote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but he needs to put it on eBay, then. I don't think this is an auction site.

I agree.

The seller should state the sales price of an item being offered for sale......That's typical of most forums (e.g. The Guitar Forum).

Auctions belong on ebay.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 11:30 am    

Hunh? Why shouldn't someone auction a steel here, if they want to give Forumites first crack at it, and contribute a percentage to the Forum? This is exactly what was discussed extensively in a couple of recent threads. People got upset when stated prices turned into unannounced auctions and the seller took a higher offer after others offered the stated price. We seemed to agree that the solution was for the seller to be clear up front whether it was first-come-first served for the posted price, or an auction. Now here is someone saying up front that it is an auction, and people are saying you shouldn't do that? Why not?

My only problem with this is that the seller needs to state the auction rules. Does he want the bids posted in the thread, or sent privately by email, or both? And when is the bidding ended?
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 11:44 am    

Nice rig. Maybe the KL info would be helpful.

What's wrong with "Best Offer"?

Or "2,000,000 OBO"

Sheesh.

Smile

EJL
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 11:45 am    

Respectfully, it's up to b0b whether or not he wants auctions here. In the meantime, I don't think we should trash this thread.

I personally see nothing wrong with an up-front auction. The only issue I can see here is that the actual seller isn't a forum member - I believe I have seen b0b complain about that in the past, and I agree. But again - that's up to him and not us.

I think all these comments should be removed, including mine. IMHO. Smile
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 3:55 pm    

David Doggett wrote:
Hunh? Why shouldn't someone auction a steel here, if they want to give Forumites first crack at it, and contribute a percentage to the Forum? This is exactly what was discussed extensively in a couple of recent threads. People got upset when stated prices turned into unannounced auctions and the seller took a higher offer after others offered the stated price. We seemed to agree that the solution was for the seller to be clear up front whether it was first-come-first served for the posted price, or an auction. Now here is someone saying up front that it is an auction, and people are saying you shouldn't do that? Why not?

My only problem with this is that the seller needs to state the auction rules. Does he want the bids posted in the thread, or sent privately by email, or both? And when is the bidding ended?

I guess you're right. My comments probably just reflect my dislike of ebay,auctions and haggling in general. My personal preference is to deal one-on-one.

Any limitation of honest dealings on the forum (be they sale or auction) is not a good thing. So I will eat humble pie, and retract my earlier rambling.

Let's shift focus back to that beautiful Sho-Bud.
Al Szwarc

Metuchen, New Jersey, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 5:09 pm     Auctions

I think Bob can decide the type of transactions the forum allows. But I do think its time for some of the sellers to put up and join the forum. Seems to be too many "selling for a friend" items here lately. al
Richard Douthitt

Coxs Creek, KY, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 9:56 pm    

Boy oh boy,,,,Ok seller is not a musician and doesen't know diddly squat about a computer, I knew he aquired this instrument from a friend dying and leaving it to him so I wanted nothing more than a fellow forum member getting first shot at it rather than for my friend to take it to a pawn shop. Last thing I want is someone from ebay getting it and I know this is not an auction site. So that said I am a humble member and if Bob sees fit to keep it here I will give all the info I can on this instrument and a donation will be made. I have no stake in the sale but want to support the steel guitar family and will ask my guy what his bottom dollar may be! Peace my pedal friends!
R.C. Vick

Moss Point, Ms., USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 4:14 am     Someone from eBay???

Richard, I wont continue this thread after this post, but from personal experience, eBay is the ultimate market place and people like myself pay premium prices for something we really want. If it is available at the store for the same price, I'll get it there, but if it is a rare or desirable item, I will pay to get it up to a point. I dont think you know too much about eBay or you wouldnt make such a statement. In general the times you could steal a great deal on eBay are over. You would probably be pleasantly surprised if you properly listed it with a reserve on eBay.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 8:25 am    

We have seen disastrous results when people try to run auctions here, and also when people try to sell things for non-members. There's no rule against either, but I would advise against it.

By posting the item here, Richard has taken liability for anything that might go wrong with the sale. I wouldn't do that myself but as long as he's comfortable with it, I'm not going to stop it.

Coxs Creek, KY, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 11:34 am     Attention Bob...Please remove the ad ...

Seems as if I opened a can of worms thinking I might be helping out The Forum and my fellow members but some people are getting all worked up over nothing. So I have decided to pull the ad until I get the info from the owner that would satisfy all, including non-interested members. My intentions were of the most sincerity. I apologise to the forum and all fellow members.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 12:23 pm    

Richard, I don't see where there's an apology in order.

Quote:
some people are getting all worked up over nothing.

I think you hit the nail square on the head.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 1:59 pm    

Interesting; it says "I" started this thread... how cute. Muttering

No "workup" here; it just seems to me that if a seller doesn't have a price in mind, perhaps we should have an "Items for Auction" forum. Just doesn't seem fair, to me, to have a "hidden" bidding war going on here. Who's to know who the real winner is, and if the proper donation amount gets sent? But, it's b0b's town, God bless him for it. I'm glad I can be a resident.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 8:16 pm    

Richard,

No need to apologize. You're trying to help people--seller and forumites.

On the other hand, it's a complex situation (as Mike points out). But it seems to me that this is the best that the forum can do in sticky situations like this. So I believe that bOb's got the bottom line: this isn't the best situation, but it would be worse to disallow it.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 6:10 am    

One difference between the Forum and eBay is that here in Forumland, guys who don't get to buy what they want for the price they want to pay have the ability and the pulpit to complain about: how things cost too much already; how they were first in line but got passed over because someone was willing to pay more; how auctions are somehow unfair; the Forum isn't eBay (which they hate); etc.

On eBay, b!tching can only be accomplished in Feedback, and only if the deal between the buyer and seller goes sour. Auction losers have no say in the matter.

Good deals still exist on eBay, but I haven't seen a whole lot of them in the steel guitar market lately. This is because there's lots of people looking for desireable steels and are willing to pay the bucks. However, as an example I've been able to get some excellent buys in fishing tackle; new and like new high end rods and high end lures for half of retail and even less.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jerry H. Moore

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 7:46 am    

It would be hard on b0b to have an auction on the forum. Somebody would be pissed off. If the seller wanted to treat it as an auction and handle ALL the emails and phone calls, that would work. All the bids would need to be listed etc. like ebay. Plus an end time would need to be posted. It would solve ebay sniping thats for sure! Maybe something for the future of SGF? How bout it b0b?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 8:16 am    

I'm not going to change the Forum into an auction site.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 8:42 am    

No, I don't think the Forum should to get involved in running auctions. But isn't it okay for a seller to say "best offer" and run his own informal auction in the thread? People averse to auctions wouldn't have to participate. Would it be better to only accept posted bids, or better to have the bids sent by email? The former way would make the process and results clear to all, but the bidders would have to post publicly. The email way maintains the bidders' privacy, but the process and results are known only to the seller, although he could post the final result.

As it is, we have many "reverse auctions" on the Forum. Someone posts a price, gets no takeers, and keeps reposting a lower price until someone takes the item.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 8:53 am    

Like I said, there's no rule against it. Historically, bidding on items via email has often caused problems. The liability for these problems rests with the seller.

I think that the most straight-forward way - posting a price and selling to the first person who agrees to it - is the best for all concerned. But I'm not going to say that it must be done that way.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 12:58 pm    

I think b0b has touched on every important issue - this is my synopsis:

1. No specific rule against forum auctions - conducted by the seller, not the forum - but gives appropriate caveats of potential problems and need for seller to accept all responsibility for the results. Check.

2. No specific rule against forum members selling someone else's goods, but makes appropriate caveat that the selling forum member must accept all responsibility for transaction. Check.

3. No specific rule insisting on fixed-price sale with deal to first bona fide offer-to-buy, but makes appropriate caveat that deviations are less straightforward and therefore subject to possible problems. Check.

It's completely clear and common sense to me. I think we need to find another topic. Laughing
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 1:56 pm    

BOB WE LOVE YOU MAN,

i think you are doing a fine job, and lets keep it that way.

I have bought several from the forum, and i think the price should be posted up front.

if you must then, jack the price, you can always come down.

yep. i'm old timer, and like it that way.
farris